What's new

Self Driving Cars

Daniel

Banned
PF Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about all this development of self driving cars? Does it make you a bit uneasy?

I know for myself personally, the idea of not even having a steering wheel in a vehicle is a bit intimidating because then I am putting my full trust in the cars computer system.

I know there are some cars out there that have more of an autopilot or assist feature as opposed to a fully self driven car but all of it is mind blowing to me.

I like the idea of the car driving itself should you be unable to, but I don't believe it should be the sole way a car moves. It should be a back up feature and nothing else.

I wouldn't trust it and I would completely reject the technology. I like driving.

Demon_skeith said:
I like the idea of the car driving itself should you be unable to, but I don't believe it should be the sole way a car moves. It should be a back up feature and nothing else.

See...I guess I would be okay with this but I agree with you on letting the car drive 100% of the time. :dance:

If I were behind the wheel of one I'd probably panic. Supposing it crashes? I'd prefer manual for now.

I think it's fantastic, though given the nature of humans and the fact that we already rely on the internet for everything, I can already see people relying on self driving cars too much and not knowing how to drive in case something does happen.

I think self driving cars will cause less accidents, will free up congested parts of the freeways that the U.S is pretty known for, and overall offer a better experience, but then you get hackers and glitches and people will just be relying too much on it and won't know how to actually drive when the time comes.

I pretty much feel like the entire thing with AI and self technology is going go down like this...

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1UxZJ9owXY[/video]

We are heading towards an irobot future, hopefully not with the same results.

Hm, this reminds me of Muse's new album Drones, which basically addresses the horrors of dying by the remote control, another way of just saying death by drones.

I think the new game Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 illustrates this very accurately too with one of the events in their campaign mode as depicted in the video below (time is 0:05 to 0:35, its brutal and shows spoilers in the game):

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlHJMgmLua4[/video]​

AI will be fine so long as the proper precautions are put into place and multiple fail safes. I mean Google has enough info on all of us that they could probably make an AI of us based on all the information on the Internet.

I'm sorry I have no idea where I just went with this post.

PikaClause said:
AI will be fine so long as the proper precautions are put into place and multiple fail safes. I mean Google has enough info on all of us that they could probably make an AI of us based on all the information on the Internet.

I'm sorry I have no idea where I just went with this post.

Artificial Intelligence isn't just about preventing the drones from developing a self-conscious and a need for a revolution... 

It's about not letting this intelligent tech get into the wrong hands.  A car that can easily navigate around a city by itself can also be instructed to go into some place carrying a bomb.   :car:

Drones don't feel our pain, and they certainly don't care.

Back