What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanQuinn87

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I noticed when on the forum index looking at the forums list. :p With these forums..
The above forums all are main (parent) forums, all with discussions in them, and also sub-forums for discussions and on particular subject with the same topic. But if you look at the following parent forums..
The above 2 parent forums each have a sub-forum called "Discussions" with low amounts of posts in them of 8 and 11 threads. With the ability to create a thread in the main / parent forum of these 2 subjects if their the post doesn't fit in the sub0forums, why have the "Discussions" sub-forums? To move the 8 and 11 threads out the sub-forums and into their main parent forums, would be better. :p

With the forum below, this is like the first set of forums i listed, which is good, but the forum is locked and if my posts fits in the main parent forum "Admin & Webmaster" but doesn't fit in a sub-forum, there is no where to post it. :p
This is no big deal or anything, just realized it when i was looking around the forum list index. :p

I noticed when on the forum index looking at the forums list. :p With these forums..
The above forums all are main (parent) forums, all with discussions in them, and also sub-forums for discussions and on particular subject with the same topic. But if you look at the following parent forums..
The above 2 parent forums each have a sub-forum called "Discussions" with low amounts of posts in them of 8 and 11 threads. With the ability to create a thread in the main / parent forum of these 2 subjects if their the post doesn't fit in the sub0forums, why have the "Discussions" sub-forums? To move the 8 and 11 threads out the sub-forums and into their main parent forums, would be better. :p

With the forum below, this is like the first set of forums i listed, which is good, but the forum is locked and if my posts fits in the main parent forum "Admin & Webmaster" but doesn't fit in a sub-forum, there is no where to post it. :p
This is no big deal or anything, just realized it when i was looking around the forum list index. :p
Interesting, thanks for pointing this out :p

We are looking to change the forum index so we'll take these onboard.

If we were to change the index, would you like more subforums instead of parent forums, more parent forums or for us to delete some parent forums?

I like parent forums all to have at least 1 or 2 sub-forums. I I think the layout of this forum is pretty good, i would move some things. In my opinion, this would be what i would do. :p Im not saying it like this needs to be done, just giving my opinion of what im meaning and you can take however much of it into account as like like (or none of it, lol). :p

In the spoiler above i have added the current layout of the forum index so its easier to compare it to the layout below. :p This is a rearrangement of the forum with some changes to where some sub-forums sit and also with some sub-forums removed or added. :p Its just a suggestion of a layout for you to have a look at, its just for you too look at and if you use any parts of it or whatever its up to you or even if you dont, you it may spark other ideas of your own too when looking at it. :p

Changes Made:
  1. I have removed the "Discussions" sub-forums out of the "Graphic Discussion" and "Coding & Development" forums as i mentioned in the opening post of this thread as any posts going in the "Discussions" sub-forums and just go in their parent forum.
  2. I have also done the same as above with the "Forum Brainstorming" sub-forum of "Admin & Webmaster" as i believe any posts going into the "Forum Brainstorming" .forum can just go into it the "Forum Discussion" forum.
Changes Made (General Zone Category):
  1. I have split the "Literature, Media & Journalism" into "Literature" and "Media & Journalism". I then moved the "Literature" forum to be a sub-forum in "School & Education".
  2. I have renamed the "Entertainment Discussion" forum to just "Entertainment" and renamed the sub-forum within it called "Videos" to "Video Sharing".
  3. I have created a new forum called "Space" and moved the "UFO Talk" forum into that.
  4. The "Grosser Than Gross" sub-forum is now a main forum on of its own.
  5. I created a "Sports Entertainment" sub-forum in the "Sports" forum.
  6. I moved the "Health & Body" forum into the "General Zone" category and moved the "Cooking & Nutrition" forum to be a sub-forum in "Health & Body". I also created a second sub-forum in "Health & Body" called "Working Out".
  7. I moved the "Adult Café" forum to the "General Zone" category.
Changes Made (Hobby Discussions):
  1. I changed the "Transportation & Automotive" forum's name to "Transportation" and made a sub-forum in it called "Automotive". - I done this because Automotive is one thing, and in time to come, there could be other sub-forums could be added for Trains, Planes, etc.
  2. I created a new forum called "Photography" with a new sub-forum in it called "The Gallery".
Changes Made (Technology Discussions):
  1. I renamed the "Technology Discussion" forum to "Tech Talk". - This is just so it has a different name from the category it is in).
  2. I have added "Nintendo", "PC", "Playstation" and "Xbox" sub-forums to the "Gaming" forum.
  3. I moved the "Forum Tips & Tricks" and "Forum News" sub-forums to being sub-forums of "Forums Discussion".
  4. To go along with the above change, i have added a "Blog Discussion" sub-forum to the "Admin & Webmaster" forum and in that i have added "Blog Tips & Tricks" and "Blog News" sub-forums.
Changes Made (Peer To Peer Related):
  1. I moved the "Job Searching" forum and its "Seeking Employment" sub-forum into the "Peer To Peer Zones" category.
  2. I moved the "Requests" forum and its "Completed/Rejected Requests" sub-forum out of the "Graphic Discussion" forum and into the "Marketplace" forum within a new forum in their called "Graphics". - So people will post their Sale threads into the Graphics Forum and then their Buy Requests in the sub-forum.
  3. In the same way as above, i have moved the the forum "Requests" and its sub-forum out of "Coding & Development" and put it in the "Marketplace" under a new forum called "Coding".
  4. I have created a new forum called "Exchange Area" with a new sub-forum "Forum Cash Exchanges" in the "Peer To Peer Zones" category. I have also added an "Archived Exchanges" sub-forum in the "Exchange Area" for both old exchange topic of both forum cash and non-forum cash.
  5. I moved the "Thread Games" forum to the "Peer To Peer Zones" category and renamed it "Member To Member Games". - I done this because i think it doesn't really fit into the "Games" forum in a 'Tech' sense, but i feel it fits more into the "Peer To Peer Zone" named "Member To Member Games".

Other Points..
  • I would maybe just remove the "Coding & Development" and split the remaining threads in it into the relative "Admin & Webmaster" forums. If not remove it, then move it to be a sub-forum of the "Admin & Webmaster" forum to go along with "Blog Discussion" and "Forum Discussion".
For the Categories, to go along with my mock rearrangement of the forums, i would change their names from what they are in the 1 list below, to what they are in the second list:
  • PeakForums
  • General Zone
  • Hobby Discussions
  • Technology Discussion
  • Peer To Peer Zones
  • Peak Zone
  • General Zone
  • Hobby Zone
  • Tech Zone (or Technology Zone)
  • Peer To Peer Zone (or Member Zone, or Peer Zone)
Let me know what you think, and again, i haven't done this expecting the stuff to be done or anything, it is just a suggestion following your comment about changing the index. :p

@SeanQuinn87 WOW! Loving it :D I'll put this to a few other people and if they agree you'll see the changes very soon :p
:D I like doing stuff like that, like planing out stuff and working stuff out, etc.. lol :p Even if you dont use any of the ideas / suggestions to the forum index structure, it hope towards your final decision / plan for the forum. :D

Grosser Than Gross can be removed. I don't see us having to many posts in the area. And I don't want people turned off by it.

Right we've voted to implement this so you'll see the changes happen later this week!

Marked as solved :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back