What's new

Sore throat help - short recipe -

Linnea

Emerging Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
My mom just taught me something to help with you're sore throats.
What you need:
A glass
A lemon
Honey

Get a lemon, squeeze the juice out of it into a glass, boil some water, don't put the next step in, until the water is lukewarm! Add 2 teaspoons of honey ( Or 3 if you want it sweet! Which I did :3 ), then stir it all together, and drink it all up!
And in 30 minutes your throat will hopefully, soothe some pain off <3

See my mom suggested this but I really hate honey :(

To soothe a sore throat mix equal quantities of honey and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Naturally I'd add a splash of rum or whisky, but discretion is req'd if you're under 18. ;)

Really, the cheapest most effective way of ridding a sore throat is gargling in salted water. Salt has great antiseptic qualities, so my daughter Alexxa says.
Into a glass of tepid water add one heaped teaspoon of sea salt and dissolve.
Gargle three times a day.
Do NOT swallow the salted water. It's dangerous.

I back this up. Honey and lemon is great for a sore throat. I also recommend a pinch of Cayenne pepper in there too, that's an additional ingredient that can help sore throats. Also cinnamon is really good for this too.

My step father is a chef and he is also Jamaican and so he grew up learning about all of these fruit remedies and all of those herbs that will help you kick a cold. I haven't had the flu, or a cold in the last five to ten years, that has lasted more than three days. The sore throat will usually just appear, I'll drink some of his fruit and honey remedy, and then before the cold or flu even has chance to fully develop, it is dwindling.

I find that slowly dissolving a teaspoon of honey in your mouth and letting it trickle down your throat to be soothing. Get local honey if you can because the heat treated pasteurized type isn't quite so effective.

As preciously said on #3, salt will ward off bacteria because it breaks down any mucus that bacteria like dwelling in. Do not use mouthwash. Mouthwash contains a preservative similar to that used in petri dishes to propogate bacteria. It may taste pleasant, but it actually causes more bacteria to multiply, whereas salt works the complete opposite.

I actually boil the water with ginger so it has the flavor before adding honey and lemon juice. It works very well for me and usually my cough is gone in a day or two.

Back