What's new

Teachers/Parents- Reading Lexile

Peacock76

Peak Forum Legend
PF Member
Reaction score
Is there anything on childrens books that indicates what lexile level the book is? Like part of the isbn # or on the publishers page?

DD8 keeps bringing home library books that are way too easy or way too hard. I've asked her teacher & the librarian to be sure her books are in her range, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

I've found sites that allow you to enter the book name to see what it's lexile rating is, but that's not very convenient.

And now I want to know what lexile is...

Baby does the same thing (too hard or too easy). He HATES to read and does whatever to not have to (too hard books). We solved it by getting him a Kindle. Now I can help him choose. He likes to read on it, too.

I don't know of any place the lexile would be on a book seeing that it is a newer idea.

I google the book title with the word lexile after it.

Lexile takes into account the reading level of the words and the subject matter into account. There's a mathematical formula involved, which I do not know.

For example, a medical text book would have a higher lexile due to new vocabulary. And a more simply written book like Night, which is a book about the Holocaust, would have a higher lexile due to content.

According to the numbers I am to use to evaluate my kids:
2-3 grades 450-790L
4-5 grades 645-845L
6-8 grades 860-1010L
9-10 grades 960-1115L
11-CCR(?career college ready?)1070-1220L

There is a bit of overlap to "stretch" those at each end of the ability scale.

It is tricky to be sure that your children are reading the words appropriate to the individual, as well as the content. I teach 8th graders with a "BR" (beginning reader) Lexile, but their knowledge of social events is higher. For example, they understand good versus evil and death and historical references. Whereas my son who is in second grade has a higher lexile, but I'm not ready to explain the Holocaust to him yet.

Pokey Little Puppy Lexile 640 meant for 2nd or 3rd grade readers.
The outsiders Lexile 750 meant for 7th graders
Charlotte's Web 680 Lexile Usually read in 3rd grade
The Oddessy 1050 Lexile HS text
Cam Jansen 540Lexile (approx 2nd grade series)
Harry Potter 950

tht

Dragonfly, no, there is nothing on the book itself to identify Lexile. The best reference is the Lexile website itself--www.lexile.com. If a particular book does not show up, you can put in text from the book, and it will calculate a Lexile # for you.

Some teachers in our district have had parent volunteers go through the classroom libraries and put Lexile #'s on the spine of their books.

Even without knowing the Lexile # of any given book, someone should be able to guide your daughter to the right books. Although, usually in the library they don't take the time to see what a child is checking out.

Kathy:

Check out lexile.com Most state/national tests (ISAT, NWEA, PLAN, etc) will have a lexile range on the reading portion of the test. Not sure if they do lexile in high school, as much as elementary, middle. You should be able to pick up any given book and determine if it is at the right level, too hard, too easy, etc. for a child based on their Lexile score. They have a search right on the site to enter books.

My daughter's teacher, last year, worte the kids' lexile range and attached it to their desk so she wouldn't need to tell them when the checked books out from the library.
Her thought: It's in a handy place for the students.
My thought: Now all the parents know all the students' lexile range-Hmmm.

I know on a regular book--say from scholastic--it will say R and then the number after it means reading level--so R1--is first grade etc.

When my child had the books in school and I felt they were too easy--I spoke with her and asked her to direct my child to different books. Of course they tried to say the easy books are great for comprehension and to concentrate on that--and not the easy reading level.
I explained--can they read to you and show you they comprehend?
They saw that and they jumped to chapter books.

I do agree with making sure comprehension is there etc---but if they have that clear grasp--then please advance them!
I don't know if you are talking about the books that are labeled with alphabetic numbers--because when we did those--a parent volunteer was given a list of names-and suggested reading and they just checked them off-starting at whatever level the teacher gave them.
So maybe find out how they are deciding which books are picked to come home.
I know in 2nd grade---I was surprised at how many kids were on easy books--such as frog and toad etc (which is curriculum based) and they told me ALL kids have to do it--even if they are beyond that reading--as that is where they have all the worksheets for comprehension.
GOOD LUCK

I don't think our library has been labelled. I am going to stop myself from offering to do that. :lol:

Maybe I will just let her get whatever she wants at school & control it more at home.

There is a Lexile "conversion" chart and some libraries have published lists of books with their corresponding Lexile level. Maybe you could go through and make a list of books for her to choose from that she can take to school and have the librarian help her pick from the list. Bartlett Public Library has a list that I can give you a link to and also a link to the chart. Maybe if she had a list she could still feel like she is in control by choosing but from a narrower field. You may call your local library or look online and see if they have a list also.

www.bartlett.lib.il.us/youthbibs/lexile.pdf

https://doe.sd.gov/octe/lexiles.aspx (there is a chart for various grade levels here)

HTH :)

scholastic has been putting the Lexiles on some of the newer books.
Librarian should be able and WILLING to help.
OR have her use the 5 finger rule when choosing her own books...flip to any page...if there are 5 or more words on the page she doesn't know, it's too hard. If she can read all the words on the page with no problems...it's too easy.
If the books are too hard from the library...read it together. If they are too easy...work on fluency (how quick, accurate, and with intonation she reads)...
Or ask lots of questions about the book...Characters...how do they change in story...what do they do that's important...
Setting...what is it and how does it affect the story
Plot...problem, events, solution
Theme-what's the message of the story
Author's Purpose- Persuade, Inform, or Entertain (PIE)...how do you know?

I teach 3rd grade. If you give me more info...I can recommend books

Thanks, Joy! I will make her a list. :)

Autumn, her lexile is 400-499. They use the "Fluency a-z" program & she is at the "N" level. Not sure if that helps you or not. She's in 2nd grade.

I happened upon a website called biblionasium.com. You can join as a parent and make an account for your child. You can input your child's reading level and the site will suggest books. You can also suggest books for your child, and when they log in they will be able to see the books that are recommended for them.

Thanks, Joy! I will make her a list. :)

Autumn, her lexile is 400-499. They use the "Fluency a-z" program & she is at the "N" level. Not sure if that helps you or not. She's in 2nd grade.

Does she have access to RAZ Kids online? In a-z Letters Q-T is Third grade level. If she is an "N" that's a decent level for 2nd grade. If the teacher does not have a subscription...i can hook you up on my class...PM me. It's online listening/reading/ answering questions (comprehension)... It's independent work...but you need a subscription... I have some room on my roster...

Cam Jansen, Ready Freddy, Horrible Harry are all decent chapter book series. Those are the chapter books I use with my struggling readers in 3rd grade...I'll look for more at work. I just find it easier when a kid can find a series to read... OH! Box Car Children are good...read the first book aloud with her with expression and she will want to read all of them...

Thanks, Autumn! I think I have some of those books leftover from my kids & a friend of mine gave me a lot of some series...might be Boxcar Children, I'll have to find the bag.

We're holding off on online things at home for now. It would require *constant* supervision as we learned on Day 1 that she can't resist going to "inappropriate" sites. :eek:

Back