What's new

The GMC Sierra shines during an RV adventure

Mr.Rogers

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
sierra1.jpg

It is the night before my long-awaited return to the “Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth” and, on a chilly, damp Southern Alberta summer night, I am dancing my way through a field of cow pies, as light and nimble afoot as the Young Canadians are nightly on the stage at the Calgary Stampede.
This is the part of RV camping I’d forgotten since I left Alberta in the 1980s, left behind my career as a sportswriter covering the Stampede, among other things.
The “roughing it” part is something I had forgotten. The finding your way to your trailer in the pitch dark, after several hours of staring into a blazing campfire, sipping an adult beverage. If I had planted my boot in a squishy dropping or two – and they dotted the field as numerous as stars in the sky – I’d never have known, though. A long afternoon of fierce thunderstorms had left Randy and Ginny Donahue’s grazing land all mushy and wet. One type of mush at midnight feels much like another, if you get my drift.
Randy and Ginny run Sierra West Cabins and Ranch Vacations near Lundbreck, Alta. Between the land they own and the land they rent, Sierra West amounts to about 1,000 acres of working dude ranch. Randy and Ginny themselves are straight out of a John Ford casting call: he with his lean build, hard hands, droopy grey mustache, felt cowboy hat, suede waistcoat, jeans and lived-in boots; her with Stetson pulled down low over shoulder-length straw hair falling on a jean jacket. Authentic? These two are not city folk, believe me.

Read more http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...hines-during-an-rv-adventure/article13108666/

Back