What's new

The Greatest Pitcher Who Never Was?

Diesel

Peak Forum Legend
PF Member
Reaction score
Just read this.

I'm totally astounded that I'd never heard of this before, especially considering that I've been a Mets fan all my life.

Dan,

I remember that article in SI many years ago. It was an April Fool's joke written by George Plimpton. The magazine date was April 1, 1985.

Ski Bum

----------------------------
Steep & Deep

Dan if you ever make me read an article that long again I might just reach through my computer and kill you.
lol.gif
I have to admit that story was kinda cool though. We should save this one for an april fools joke of our own.

uh yeah . . .

I hate to tell you that it wasn't a joke. It's all explained in this month's issue of SI, where they did a "Where are they now?" piece.
Ends up it wasn't a joke, and SI bent to public criticism by saying it was a joke. Plimpton ended up leaving the magazine over their lack of journalistic integrity in the matter.

I suggest that you read the article in SI ("Refridgerator Perry" on the cover), because apparently, this guy has been practicing the javelin in secret and could possibly be in training for the Olympics in Sydney.

I am Jack's raging inner child. Without me, Jack has to deal with the pitfalls of reality.

Back