What's new

the most overrated movies and performances

Eison

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
What movies are you tired of hearing lines from all the time? What movie gets labeled an all-time great that you can't stand? What actor gets praised for a great performance that you feel doesn't deserve?

The one that comes to mind that still bugs the **** out of me is Lost in Translation. Rave reviews. Bill Murray (who I like). I was looking forward to seeing it. Rented it and sat there going "What the ****, go ahead and bang the chick!" for two ****ing hours.

The one that comes to mind that still bugs the **** out of me is Lost in Translation. Rave reviews. Bill Murray (who I like). I was looking forward to seeing it. Rented it and sat there going "What the ****, go ahead and bang the chick!" for two ****ing hours.

Agreed.

I expected the greatest movie since sliced bread, and we walked out afterwards and neither my wife nor I particularly cared for it.

Anything made by Woody Allen and pretty much anything Jack Nicholson has ever done.

Anything made by Woody Allen and pretty much anything Jack Nicholson has ever done.

i agree with 50% of your assessment.

Jack has had some GREAT roles in some GREAT movies:

The Shining and a A Few Good Men being a couple of good examples.

For me to like a movie DESPITE the presence of Tom Cruise...it's GOTTA be great.

Speaking of Tom Cruise...him and all of his movies are HUGELY overrated.

i agree with 50% of your assessment.

Jack has had some GREAT roles in some GREAT movies:

The Shining and a A Few Good Men being a couple of good examples.

For me to like a movie DESPITE the presence of Tom Cruise...it's GOTTA be great.

Speaking of Tom Cruise...him and all of his movies are HUGELY overrated.

And Chinatown and Departed and Five Easy Pieces and of course Cuckoo's Nest.

Jack was great in The Shining - but I felt Kubrick butchered the novel -- totally different -- novel is much better. Also -- I can't think of a worse miscast in history than Shelly DuVall as the wife. She is totally different in the book.

As for Tom Cruise -- he's also made some good movies -- Risky Business and Rainman come immediately to mind.

While you may intensely dislike him as a person -- its hard to argue with his box office success.

And Chinatown and Departed and Five Easy Pieces and of course Cuckoo's Nest.

Jack was great in The Shining - but I felt Kubrick butchered the novel -- totally different -- novel is much better. Also -- I can't think of a worse miscast in history than Shelly DuVall as the wife. She is totally different in the book.

As for Tom Cruise -- he's also made some good movies -- Risky Business and Rainman come immediately to mind.

While you may intensely dislike him as a person -- its hard to argue with his box office success.

I would attribute Cruise's box office success to his female fans particularly. I pay no attention to "stars" as people.

Rain Man was a GREAT movie...because of Dustin Hoffman, in my opinion, not due to Cruise.

Again...for example Top Gun is one of those movies I can watch over and over, despite the fact that he's in it.

My problem with Jack is he doesn't really act 80% of the time, He is like the stand-up comic who gets a sitcom based on his act but they change his name on the show.

Yes he has been in good films, but in how many of them has he done anything other than his act?

My problem with Jack is he doesn't really act 80% of the time, He is like the stand-up comic who gets a sitcom based on his act but they change his name on the show.

Yes he has been in good films, but in how many of them has he done anything other than his act?

not everyone is Tom Hanks who can lose themselves in their characters.

Nicholson may play variations on a theme, but his performances are usually pretty compelling.

If I know Nicholson is in a movie, I am quite likely to go see it, b/c I know I'm in for a treat one way or another.

not everyone is Tom Hanks who can lose themselves in their characters.

Nicholson may play variations on a theme, but his performances are usually pretty compelling.

If I know Nicholson is in a movie, I am quite likely to go see it, b/c I know I'm in for a treat one way or another.

MINUS "Steel Magnolias"

Ditto John Wayne. He was just John Wayne in a cowboy hat, John Wayne in a Marines uniform, John Wayne in an Army uniform, John Wayne in a Navy uniform, etc.

Ditto John Wayne. He was just John Wayne in a cowboy hat, John Wayne in a Marines uniform, John Wayne in an Army uniform, John Wayne in a Navy uniform, etc.

That doesn't make him overrated.

People loved John Wayne and wanted to see John Wayne play these roles.

Did you ever notice how Rikker on ST-THG walked just like John Wayne?

Anything with Ben Stiller. I find him totally annoying.

The only reason Chuck Norris hasn't had his **** kicked in the last 30 years is that John Wayne is dead.

Titanic. After I had seen that pile of **** I wanted to go around and beat the **** out of everyone that wouldn't shut up about it. That movie sucked a big fat ****.

as much as it pains me to say Al Pacino career since heat has been sub standard and even that wasn't great.

Back