What's new

The player you want back

webaficionado

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
What retired athlete/player you'd like to see back in the game?

I'd like to see Guillermo Vilas play again (if he was younger, of course). He was so talented. It's a pity he retired being so young.

I loved John Stockton's game. He was the ultimate team player, scrappy, hardworking, and has half again as many assists as second place on the all time list.

Allen Iverson. His games were always so exciting to watch. One of the best to ever play.

Allen Iverson. His games were always so exciting to watch. One of the best to ever play.

When I first read the thread title, A.I. is exactly who I was thinking of. Although he isn't retired, he was an amazing NBA player and very fun to watch.

I was watching some youtube videos of him the other day. If you get a chance, check some of them out. He really was an incredible player, although he didn't age very well. His ability to totally carry an otherwise mediocre team made for some of the greatest individual performances of all time.

I love his ability to get to the basket against anyone as well as make all kinds of insane acrobatic shots.

Looks like everyone beat me to it. I would have said Allen Iverson too. The newer generation of basketball fans don't really know what they are missing. He was a one-of-a-kind player. He was fast, quick as hell and never seemed to tire. His circus shots were ridiculous back then.

I'd love to see Steve Yzerman or Chirs Chelios come back to the wings. two exceptional players who changed the sport for the better.

The 2001 76ers are by far my favorite sports team of all time. Looking back, it is amazing who Iverson took to the finals that year. The starting line-up, if I remember correctly, was Eric Snow, Iverson, Jermaine Jones, Tyrone Hill, and Dikembe Mutumbo. He was a truly exceptional player. I love watching Derrick Rose now because he brings back memories of seeing the little guy drive to the basket and work around the big men to score.

The 2001 76ers are by far my favorite sports team of all time. Looking back, it is amazing who Iverson took to the finals that year. The starting line-up, if I remember correctly, was Eric Snow, Iverson, Jermaine Jones, Tyrone Hill, and Dikembe Mutumbo. He was a truly exceptional player. I love watching Derrick Rose now because he brings back memories of seeing the little guy drive to the basket and work around the big men to score.

Honestly though, even a great player like Rose lacks the creativity and vision that Iverson had at his peak. I'm not trying to take anything away from Rose at all, he's obviously an amazing player. In many facets I would take his game over Iverson's. But as an isolation player, Iverson is unmatched, in my opinion.

Yao Ming, shame he had all those injuries. Would love to see him play with Lin.

Honestly though, even a great player like Rose lacks the creativity and vision that Iverson had at his peak. I'm not trying to take anything away from Rose at all, he's obviously an amazing player. In many facets I would take his game over Iverson's. But as an isolation player, Iverson is unmatched, in my opinion.

I remembered arguing with one of my friends on who is the more exciting to watch between them, actually. I think Rose is more explosive, but it is precisely the reason why Iverson looked even more invincible. Rose is actually bigger and stronger than him. Iverson really looked like he had to squeeze the ball through the opposing big men.

I think Iverson was less efficient and in the end will probably be surpassed by Rose in terms of overall ability. I just loved watching the crazy ways that Iverson could score. No matter how you defended him, he would find ways to get it in the hoop.

Am I really the first person to claim Michael Jordan? I would instantly start watching basketball again if he came back, though times will never be like the 90's again and the greatest team era of all "Chicago Bull's" reign was unstoppable. M.J. is simply the best player to ever step foot on the court IMO, his skill set and charisma were matched by none other. The Bull's had so many other great talents as well Rodman,Pippen,Kukoch and the best of all Phil Jackson he was a classic coach and the best of his time. I doubt any coach in the history of the game would ever rival Phil Jackson and his bull's run, though his Lakers run was a close second.

Kind Regard's

CharlieDeff

For me it would have to be Paul McGrath.

One of the finest defenders to have ever graced the game of football. I saw him many times as a boy and wish I had savoured his performances more then.

Just. Awesome.

Michael Jordan and/or Mike Tyson, they were both very dominating in the sports they played that every match was very exciting to watch =)

Joe Namath and Curtis Martin...maybe the Jets could then back up Rex's talk. Namath is a bit more hit or miss but he did win a title, but Martin is a beast in the backfield!

Michael Jordan

Rose, Jordan, Deng, Boozer, Noah, oh my lord could you imagine the Bulls with this lineup? I'm pretty sure that is a team that's going to win the championship every single year.

Michael Jordan

Rose, Jordan, Deng, Boozer, Noah, oh my lord could you imagine the Bulls with this lineup? I'm pretty sure that's team that's going to win the championship every single year.

I think Jordan with his old teammates would dominate this era's teams with ease. I just honestly can't see him playing with the current bulls lineup just because the accomplishments he's made with the old bulls are burned into my mind. :cool:

I would like to see Randy Moss in his prime, he burned every corner and was a freak athlete. Even his rookie year he had 17tds.

Back