What's new

The Price of Rent

Jason2022

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
It should be based on location and the condition of the place, at the least. Why should people pay $800 to $1,500 a month for a home with one or more of the qualities: a dangerous location, a remote location, bad home quality (the insides/outsides)?

I think if rent was truly based on these factors in the USA, for instance, homelessness could be greatly reduced or almost ended.

It should be based on location and the condition of the place, at the least. Why should people pay $800 to $1,500 a month for a home with one or more of the qualities: a dangerous location, a remote location, bad home quality (the insides/outsides)?

I think if rent was truly based on these factors in the USA, for instance, homelessness could be greatly reduced or almost ended.

I am in California and $800 to $1500 can't get you anything! Definitely not a house. Maybe you can find a 1 bed / 1 bath apartment for $1500 if you're lucky and want to live in the middle of nowhere.

It's all about supply and demand.

If you live somewhere that has more people than houses the prices will skyrocket. That's when the landlords have all the control and can charge whatever they want.

If you live somewhere that has more houses than people then prices drop and landlords get desperate.

I am in California and $800 to $1500 can't get you anything! Definitely not a house. Maybe you can find a 1 bed / 1 bath apartment for $1500 if you're lucky and want to live in the middle of nowhere.

It's all about supply and demand.

If you live somewhere that has more people than houses the prices will skyrocket. That's when the landlords have all the control and can charge whatever they want.

If you live somewhere that has more houses than people then prices drop and landlords get desperate.

In Tennessee where I live. $1,500 can certainly pay the rent or you can get a decent motel room for a month. In fact, sometimes $800 can be enough. Nonetheless, that's still tough in this area without a high paying job.

I don't think you can reduce the amount of rent without first trying to reduce the value of the homes/buildings. I doubt that will happen unless a neighborhood falls under more crime. Mortgages have to be paid and the price of rent is to cover mortgage, taxes and insurance, and two of those items increase yearly.

They say Wichita KS and Minneapolis MN have low rents. Myself, I was thinking West Virginia might and I used to live near that state. Anyway, i don't want to stereotype what some see as poor areas and Minneapolis was rich in my mind.

In the city I live at, a rent is around 160 euros minimum. But, our standard is pretty low so it is 1/3 of salary.

Rent is getting pretty unreasonable in my area, only decent places you can afford is near the bad areas of town :(

Rooms are becoming the new apartments. You can rent a room for the same price as an apartment used to be. Who has noticed this?

Rooms are becoming the new apartments. You can rent a room for the same price as an apartment used to be. Who has noticed this?

What do you mean by rooms? Like renting a small space from someone in a house?

Inflation is making rent in my country very expensive now. But still the rent amount still depends on where your house is located though but it is really high now

Back