What's new

This makes Mike D'antoni look real bad

dexterlablab1

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
The moment he leaves, the Knicks pulled of 3 straight wins.

First they blew out the Blazers. Ok, that doesn't count for much because the Blazers suck.

But then they go and run all over the Pacers in BACK TO BACK games. One at their home and one at the Pacers. And unlike the Blazers, the Pacers are a quality team.

Not to mention Jeremy Lin played like he did during this "Linsanity" stuff. So now, it really DOES look like it was the coach that was the problem.

The system of coach D'Antoni doesn't fit well with the Knicks. He deserves to leave the team and let Woodson boost them. As a result, the Knicks are now 3-0 with Woodson (including back-to-back blowouts against the Pacers). I felt that the Knicks might get a playoff spot (7th or 8th spot I think).

The system of coach D'Antoni doesn't fit well with the Knicks. He deserves to leave the team and let Woodson boost them. As a result, the Knicks are now 3-0 with Woodson (including back-to-back blowouts against the Pacers). I felt that the Knicks might get a playoff spot (7th or 8th spot I think).

Not just that, but did you see the balanced scoring? And to me, beating up the Pacers the way they did was a gut check, statement set of games. They showed everyone they can beat a playoff calibur team both on their own court AND their opponents in an extreme fashion.

Dantoni can never win with the ungodly amount of talent he constantly inherits. He was the same way for the Suns. He always tries to force talented players which are unorthodox for his fast paced system to play under his terms. His coaching is uneffective in winning even when he posseses some of the best talent in the league.

Dantoni can never win with the ungodly amount of talent he constantly inherits. He was the same way for the Suns. He always tries to force talented players which are unorthodox for his fast paced system to play under his terms. His coaching is uneffective in winning even when he posseses some of the best talent in the league.

If that's true, then he had no business being a coach in the first place. Coaching is about working with the strengths your teams possess. Not trying to bend players and make them conform to what you think fits them.

I really do think the problem was the coach cause now i see that Jermey Lin is there and he is making the New York Knicks look really good.

Lin wasn't given that much playing opportunities (in my opinion) under D'antoni. Under Woodson, he is utilized more not only for his ability to score, but his overall game. This allows him to development deeper as a player.

D'Antoni is kind of overrated though. When he was coach for Phoenix, it just seemed like Nash was running the show anyways. I remember watching the Suns playoff series against the Spurs many seasons ago and there were times Nash was the one drawing up plays during timeouts.

That is how the NBA is. Not too long ago everyone was looking at him like a genius for starting Ling and going through that winning stretch. Sometimes a change is just needed for the good of the team.

That is how the NBA is. Not too long ago everyone was looking at him like a genius for starting Ling and going through that winning stretch. Sometimes a change is just needed for the good of the team.

No, he was never seen as genius for starting Lin. Everyone was looking at him as "getting the luck of the draw" for having Lin on the team.

I think he needs to go into coaching at the collegiate level. There is more room to do things that he likes since a lot of players are not fully developed and he can mold them to his system and then recruit players that he knows he can work with instead of inherited top talent and not knowing how to use their strengths.

I think he needs to go into coaching at the collegiate level. There is more room to do things that he likes since a lot of players are not fully developed and he can mold them to his system and then recruit players that he knows he can work with instead of inherited top talent and not knowing how to use their strengths.

I never thought about that, yeah he WOULD excel at the college level with the kids not being totally developed yet. It's just sad the WAY he left though.

Not convinced yet...

The moment he leaves, the Knicks pulled of 3 straight wins.

First they blew out the Blazers. Ok, that doesn't count for much because the Blazers suck.

But then they go and run all over the Pacers in BACK TO BACK games. One at their home and one at the Pacers. And unlike the Blazers, the Pacers are a quality team.

Not to mention Jeremy Lin played like he did during this "Linsanity" stuff. So now, it really DOES look like it was the coach that was the problem.

I'm still not convinced the better play is because he left. Let's keep in mind we had a great run in Feb with him as the coach. The x factor during that time was Melo and Stat weren't there. We were playing team basketball that involved everyone! We played defensive as well.

ME-lo comes back and the offense is out of sync. You also have to keep in mind Chandler and Jarad were hurt or out for most of the losing games. That has a huge impact on our team. Notice when they're back our defense gets better. So I'm not buying it's because Mike left. He definitely had flaws but I don't think he was the reason they were losing.

You also have to keep in mind that management has changed whole teams on him within 2 given seasons. He's never had a full season with the new personal that is shoved down his throat. A coach needs time to adjust to his players and you need a FULL season and training camp for that. So I don't buy we're winning because Mike left. It's because we have some of our strong defenders back so our defense is better. And we're seeing better ball movement again. The game is real simple. Spread the floor, move the ball around and play defense. If you do that with the depth of talent we have, you win games. Plain and simple.

3 games doesn't have me convinced yet.

I think that the Knick's are doing so well because Woodson is focusing strongly on defense. These past three games the Knick's have been playing the defense that they should have been playing all along. Their offense is doing better because the Knicks are actually getting rebounds and capitalizing on that. Top it off with less turnovers and the Knicks are playing the way they should have been all along.

Back