What's new

Trying to fit more on each page for books! Excel!

Kevin Kelly

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I have my songs all in excel...so far so good. I have one column which has the artist and the next column with the song title. I know how to sort by either one. I am not needing to put disc # or title, etc...just artist and title. In order to save space on each page, I could easily get FOUR columns on each page (artist, song title...artist, song title) but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this.

Any ideas?

Latshaw's Songbook Creator can do just that.

It reads your files and then can churn out multi columner books... export to excel, word and pdf

It's well worth the money

Rob, not knocking your choice, but I AM confused. Does Latshaw's song list generator do something special that I'm unaware of?

I think that software runs 80 or 85 bucks. For a few dollars more KJ Pro can be had, which includes a year's datbase subscription, PLUS all the things that program can do, which is almost anything you can ask of a songbook generator, and usually with just a click or two.

Does the Latshaw version do something over and above, or special?

I bet they even have decent customer service eh? Joe?

Rob, not knocking your choice, but I AM confused. Does Latshaw's song list generator do something special that I'm unaware of?

I think that software runs 80 or 85 bucks. For a few dollars more KJ Pro can be had, which includes a year's datbase subscription, PLUS all the things that program can do, which is almost anything you can ask of a songbook generator, and usually with just a click or two.

Hey joe...the unique thing about the Karma program is it will just read your files and create books that way. You don't have to find the discs you have and click on them, etc like KJ Pro does...now if KJ Pro DOES do that, that would be great because I already have that program.

Joe,

I have both KJ PRO and Song List Generator, they are two completely different animals!

KJ PRO you have to manually select the disc you want for the disc based system, SLG is for digital files and reads your hard drive and makes the list from there, it will work for both Karaoke and DJ song list and easily filters for sub catogories in either one ie. spanish, oldies, 80s etc., if you list them that way when you name them.

Ya it reads your file system and spits out books based on that... as long as you've named all your files correctly you'll get perfect books everytime and it can be set to automatically combine multiple versions of songs into one entry with multiple disc manu indicators next to it....

KJ Pro sure does have a data base.... one that is flawed and inaccurate in some cases..... if you rely on it without editing it for mistakes your in trouble... not with Latshaw's Songbook creator... and unlike KJ Pro you can get more than two columns per page.... thus reduceing the size of your books

Hey joe...the unique thing about the Karma program is it will just read your files and create books that way. You don't have to find the discs you have and click on them, etc like KJ Pro does...now if KJ Pro DOES do that, that would be great because I already have that program.

If I understand correctly, the software checks your music files, and auto generates?

Ya it reads your file system and spits out books based on that... as long as you've named all your files correctly you'll get perfect books everytime and it can be set to automatically combine multiple versions of songs into one entry with multiple disc manu indicators next to it....

KJ Pro sure does have a data base.... one that is flawed and inaccurate in some cases..... if you rely on it without editing it for mistakes your in trouble... not with Latshaw's Songbook creator... and unlike KJ Pro you can get more than two columns per page.... thus reduceing the size of your books

Ah, pretty cool! My comparison, based ONLY on what I've read here, so lotsa grains of salt:

On the other hand I would disagree about one thing. KJ Pro's database, with flaws, is still probably the best out there. Some of the flaws are created by the mfrs. themselves. Virtually every Top Tunes has to be edited, for instance. THEIR list is flawed.

As you say, the song generator works of of what the host has entered, and will also be only as accurate as that info. I don't know if that makes it more accurate, but still, it IS easier than entering disc by disc or song by song. If your music is PC based, you will only have to enter it once. Since I'm disc based, I only had to enter it once too! :sqwink: A breakeven?

4 columns still will require a font change if you want more info on each page. KJ Pro can do the change, though not the columns ( double only) as well. The question is, how small a font do you want to use? At two columns and an 11 font, they still squint in bar light. So...another breakeven?

KJ Pro can import from excel with a click, as well as clean out dupes with a single click, generate sa many custom songbooks as you want, and generate, by artist, title, disc#, or catalogue ( disc numbers, no tracks- for inventory). You can use mfrs. disc numbers (preferred by singers so they know what version it is. Don't know if Latshaw's allows this or not)) OR custom numbers.

OK, I'll call it a plus for Latshaw in regard to the auto generation,

and a plus for KJ PRo for the database subscription, which will also keep you abreast of new releases, and also gives access to other useful software...

OK, flip a coin.....:sqlaugh:

Joker,

Can Latshaw provide an expurgated version? In other words can you choose to not list some files or do those have to be saved to another directory (which might be a better idea in any case)?

I didn't bother to do the asterisk thing for dirty words. It is one thing to tell someone to look through the extra laptop at their own risk but a printed book is for anyone.

You can filter out certain words sure just use the filter feature after import.

Back