What's new

Under appreciated aka most slept on flics

B Monkey20

Emerging Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
There are so many, but here are couple of mine:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas- I think it's a perfect follow up film for Terry Gilliam after making the classic 12 Monkeys, which I don't think it gets the praise it deserves either.
Being John Malkovich- Spike Jonze first time directing a movie. He’s been making dope videos.
Cabin Boy- Classic Chris Elliot. Anyone remember Get A Life on FOX?
Mallrats- At first Kevin Smith didn’t even like this flic.
Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrells
Event Horizon
Four Rooms- I could do without the first two rooms, but Robert Rodriguez and Tarantino’s rooms were dope.
Slingblade- I thought it was better than Forest Gump.
The Big Lebowski
Fight Club
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory- laugh if you want, but I’ve always loved this flic.
The Professional- Gary Oldman aka the only reason I’m watching the Jesus mini-series.
I know there’s more. Put the ones you think needed more attention.
Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

"tombstone" w/val kilmer and kurt russell.

------------------
"it's easier to stay out than get out"

Val Kilmer MADE that movie what it was... I love to watch that video just to see his performance. While we're on the subject, another of my VERY FAVORITES, how about "The Doors" with yours truly? Wubba-Wubba!!!

"I'm your huckleberry...."

------------------

oh, yes, he is such a little hottie. oof ... what a man !

i need to take a cold shower ...

------------------

An addendum to Mallrats...Clerks. That whole series was cool, but Clerks was ahead of it's time.

the 5th element!!! WOOHA!!!

and as for the ones on the long list
the big lebowski = fantastic
fight club awesome
being jon malcovitch was also fantastic
i have all those on dvd
event horizon like made me pee/poo/cry all at the same time while watching it in the HUGE THEATER that was empty except for my friend
scary

If you notice though, most of the movies that didn't get the attention they deserved in the box office get it later on in video rentals/sales.

I'll see you on every movie mentioned above (except Loathing because I haven't seen it), and raise you Rushmore, Bottle Rocket, and even Boiler Room ... I'm sure I could list more as I love movies, but I won't
wink.gif
Edit: Oh yeah! Mumford, there's another one!

As for being ahead of it's time, I'd say Fight Club.

And finally, don't miss the premiere of Clerks: The Cartoon on ABC tonight at 9:30pm!!

------------------
"Should I call you Logan, WeaponX?"

[Edited by nootch @ May 31, 2000 (edited 1 time)]

I didn't care for Rushmore. Maybe I'll give it another chance.
Bottle Rocket was good, but I haven't seen Boiler Room. I'll check it when it hits video stores.
I saw Clerks tonight and it was funny. The end had me dyin. That s**t with the Japanime was killin me.

I actually ordered the Rushmore DVD before seeing it, and after the first time I watched it I was a little unimpressed. The more I watch it, though, the more I like it. There are scenes that I laugh out loud during no matter how many times I've seen it (and I'm not that guy that laughs out loud at every joke in the theater, most of my friends think I don't find movies that funny just because I'm not laughing hysterically).

As for Boiler Room, it has some weak moments, but all in all I really enjoyed it. The soundtrack blends very well and Vin Diesel was great. Speaking of Vin Diesel! An amazing movie that was completely overlooked (because Warner Bros. decided to spend all of their advertising time/money on Wild Wild West instead
rolleyes.gif
) was The Iron Giant!

------------------
"Should I call you Logan, WeaponX?"

I agree, Clerks is great.
Here is my list:
1. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut - I laughed til I could laugh no more.
2. Baseketball - Almost as funny as SP the movie. Wonderful followup to the Naked Gun series by director David Zucker (He also created Family Guy on FOX).
But, the MOST UNDERAPPRECIATED movie ever is:
Office Space -- One of my favorite movies ever, very, very funny.

------------------
Athlon 700, ASUS K7V KX133, Addtronic 7896A, 128 MB PC-133, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 30GB, Plextor 8X/4X/32X CDRW, Pioneer 10X DVD, Hercules 3D Prophet GeForce DDR-DVI 32MB, Aureal SQ2500, Creative FPS2000, Samsung SyncMaster 955DF 19" .20 dpi

rushmore was trash. all the stupid sex references didnt add anything and i didnt think there was anything funny about the whole movie. of course, i know the lead star of the movie (jason swartzman) and his brother is in my grade at school. i think thats the only reason why everyone at my school loved it, but oh well. good to know other people in the world liked it

Please add the Iron Giant to the sleeper hit list. This movie was great and I'm shocked that so few people went to see it. Go see it ASAP!

iron giant WAS overlooked. the message of it really hit home:

"you are what you choose to be."

------------------

Back