What's new

Update!!! Car Repair . . . Help me with research . .. trying to get ahead at work

DianeScraps

Barter in the mornin, barter in the evenin, barter
PF Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get a promotion at work, going full time, which would be a major blessing. I had the job wrapped up, then they decided to modify the job description to include assisting the service managers (I work at a car dealership) and now I am at a last ditch effort to keep the job offer and I am meeting with the CEO on Tuesday.

I'm not someone who is clueless mechanically. I was raisied by a lawnmower mechanic and when I was 10 my dad handed me a motor, the manual, and told me to tear it apart and put it back together. My weekend hobby is tractor pulling. I also handle all the vehicle and household maintenance scheduling and such is my house.

So . .. . .

Have you ever had an awesome service experience (especially at a dealership)? What made it awesome?

Re: Car Repair . . . Help me with research . .. trying to get ahead at work

I love a solid introduction and handshake, smile...manners always count.

Good Luck, keep my fingers crossed for you!

I can tell you one thing that makes an experience great is when the shop calls you and lets you know where they are with the repairs....meaning if they told you it would be completed Tuesday by 5pm, if they call you the night before and let you know they are still on target or if there was something that happened that is going to make it later. This concept applies to when your car is scheduled to be in the shop for a few days.

Communication is key! I have sat in the dealership waiting and waiting with no clue how much longer I will be there. If someone would stop by and say how much longer it would be or what's going on, it would make me happy.

Also an estimate of how long it would take, a REAL estimate. I'm ok with it being 45 minutes instead of you telling me 30 minutes and then sitting around wondering when it's 35 minutes.

I've had some bad dealership experiences lately and it all boils down to them not telling me what as going on.

Communication is definitely a big, big deal - agreed!

Thanks and keep them coming!

Communication.
I had to have a ****ler put on our car--and the mechanic took me inside the shop-showed me why I needed a new one--showed me something else they found/
I spoke with my regular mechanic she said that is so rare these days. They don't come out and show you stuff anymore. We knew the things they pointed out needed to be fixed-and I appreciated their honesty and their price.
When our car was new, many years ago--I would say the same thing. I liked when they would tell me in advance and speak to me as a human not as someone who has no clue what is going on with cars. They always treated me with respect and if I had knowledge. When I had questions, they never acted like it was dumb--they always answered in a very kind manner and explained things in more detail.
I think a nice smile and inviting atmosphere makes a world of a difference. If they are kind to you from the start--it eases your mind. As when shopping anywhere-first impressions mean a huge deal--and to be treated with your name--not just a number is huge.
My sons girlfriends father--always gets his cars serviced at the Acura dealer--we went there with him once--and it was a huge difference--not only did they offer them coffee, and soda, and snacks--they showed him where things were--they also offered to bring it to them--they spoke to them the entire time-asked if there was anything else they needed to do for them to do. Kept them informed on how long it would take to have the repair done---had a loaner car ready in case the repair took longer.
Good luck with the job!!!

Just be sure to know your shops policy about taking customers into shop area, some places it's not allowed.

another great thing is courtesy drop off...say it is a one day job, if they will take the person to work after they drop car off and then come pick them up when it is ready.

Communication is KEY.

The repair we just had done was supposed to take 4 hours MAX. We dropped it off at 7:30AM, got busy during the day and forgot to call at 5 when they didnt call us. The next morning, I also didnt get around to calling until 9. WHEN I CALLED they told me what the problem was and asked to START repairs. When I mentioned the problem with not calling to say they were keeping it or even the next day, they gave me excuses about why they were not fully staffed (valid excuses) but never once did they apologize and say they were wrong, just justified why they treated me that way

I actually LOVE my dealership/Repair shop. I found them when all the shops closed a few years back. I was going close to my work, however now I go in the town I live in. The difference for me is the honesty. The guy told me I needed new brakes, but that I could wait, get this or that done first and then the brakes. They also have coupons that they send out quarterly. My favorite one was buy ONE oil change ($19.99) and get 3 FREE. There is another for 10% off on parts. I just had a radiator replaced and they gave me a LOANER for 4 days.....HUGE for me and have not had that at any other dealership.

I know we can't take customers in our shop area, but I have seen a tech take pictures so the customers can see.

I also like showing the customers where things are. We offer Coffee, popcorn, TV, computers and wifi, as well as a small play area.

And we have a courtesy shuttle, as well as rental cars available.

We recently had the brakes done on our car. They told me all the particulars, an estimate of price and how long it would take. I was told to go home and they would call in about 3 hours to let me know it was done. TYhey called at 2 1/2 hours to let me know it was finished. The price never changed and the problem was fixed. Here is the best of this deal, they gave a follow up call 2-3 weeks later to make sure it was working properly and we were satisfied.

I agree with everyone else, communication is key and the follow up call made me really appreciate their work.

another great thing is courtesy drop off...say it is a one day job, if they will take the person to work after they drop car off and then come pick them up when it is ready.

This is huge. We can't fit all the carseats in my dh car, so being without the van is a pita. The shop I go to will sometimes have one of the guys drive me and the kids home (in my van).

Also the one time they screwed up and put in a defective part they went above and beyond to fix it. They not only paid for the tow and repair, they called around and found a tow truck big enough for me and the kids to ride home in. Plus replaced my wipers for free.

I like to see everyone being treated as a person and not male or female. I have gotten car repairs often enough to see that it has changed. If you are going to treat me different then I will go some where else. We had started taking in our 2000 PT Cruiser last June when I heard a noise and was given the reason. They sent along the paper work of what is suggested. DH didn't take the time to read and when I did it turned out to be very necessary. I called and spoke to people back and forth and had constant contact. The problem was fixed then we had another problem that we just couldn't afford to to got the shop and went a different route. Still had problems and once we talked to the shop they referred us to a deal because it was pretty bad. While calling dh to tell him they shop called back after checking something and suggested it could be something that would be cheaper. Thank goodness it was. I appreciated that they were still looking even after though we were really thinking of junking it. I appreciate when I am told what something it worth whether it is worth keeping a car or cutting my losses.

Since the cars are 12 years each when one starts acting up I just switch cars and call a BIL. They will look into it if they can't fix it then they will take it to a mechanic. I am greatful that they have such a network so I have little to do with it.

I know we can't take customers in our shop area, but I have seen a tech take pictures so the customers can see.

I also like showing the customers where things are. We offer Coffee, popcorn, TV, computers and wifi, as well as a small play area.

And we have a courtesy shuttle, as well as rental cars available.

Why can't you take them in the shop? The insurance at our dealership says they can't be in the shop unaccompanied. Can yours not be in the shop AT ALL?

Why can't you take them in the shop? The insurance at our dealership says they can't be in the shop unaccompanied. Can yours not be in the shop AT ALL?

My understanding is insurance says No, not at all, but I can verify. We do have a customer reception drive in garage that we can (and do have customers in)

Accidents can, and do happen in the shop. (We had a truck fall off a lift last year, blessidly no one was injured, and the customer got a brand new truck - THAT DAY - for only $50 out of pocket - damaged truck was paid off, and 5 years old). So I can understand the insurance companies reasoning.

I like to see everyone being treated as a person and not male or female. I have gotten car repairs often enough to see that it has changed. If you are going to treat me different then I will go some where else. We had started taking in our 2000 PT Cruiser last June when I heard a noise and was given the reason. They sent along the paper work of what is suggested. DH didn't take the time to read and when I did it turned out to be very necessary. I called and spoke to people back and forth and had constant contact. The problem was fixed then we had another problem that we just couldn't afford to to got the shop and went a different route. Still had problems and once we talked to the shop they referred us to a deal because it was pretty bad. While calling dh to tell him they shop called back after checking something and suggested it could be something that would be cheaper. Thank goodness it was. I appreciated that they were still looking even after though we were really thinking of junking it. I appreciate when I am told what something it worth whether it is worth keeping a car or cutting my losses.

Since the cars are 12 years each when one starts acting up I just switch cars and call a BIL. They will look into it if they can't fix it then they will take it to a mechanic. I am greatful that they have such a network so I have little to do with it.

I'm happy to hear they are there to help you and your girls.

The wonderful coffee in the waiting room--

seriously--it was sorta like a kuerig but pouches--loved to go get my oil changed at the dealer instead of jiffy lube because I knew the coffee was there..LOL

I don't have alot of expierence with car problems, but I think a clean waiting room with tv (maybe more than one) wifi, coffee, vending and kid stuff is nice. Clean bathrooms are excellent too:) I think if you know people have been there awhile waiting with little kids, have some stickers or a sucker to give them. Also speaking to women just like you would speak to a man and not like they don't know what they are doing. Often times, they are the ones paying the bill! Last, I think if you estimate the time at say 3hrs and it takes 4, maybe offer a little discount

I agree with everyone, communication and good customer service is always the key. Snacks are good too.
But I really like my service manager at the dealership I go to and keep coming back to because he is very honest, if it is too expensive to fix there he will recommend you take it to someone cheaper....(I have sport car mechanics besides the oem dealer parts) so I really appreciate that from him.
Last year I had my clutch replaced by a friend who owns a shop and it was going to cost me 3 times as much at the dealership.

Good luck with the job!

Back