What's new

What do you think of FMD-ROM?

nootch

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
For those of you that don't know, FMD-ROM is a new format disc (similar in size and shape to CD and DVDs) that uses multiple layers of flourescent dyes instead of the traditional 'tiny grooves' found on DVDs. The use of these dyes allows the disc to contain *many* more layers (100 layers compared to DVD's 2). What do the extra layers mean? More storage capacity! They say that first generation discs will store up to 140 Gigabytes (while DVDs can store 4.7 - 9.4 GB) with future versions to reach 1 Terabyte and more!

Uh-oh, did we waste our money on all these DVDs we own?!?!

Maybe not, the drives will more than likely be backwards compatible with DVD technology making it much more appealing to just about everyone.

For a picture of the totally transparent disc, and more info, see the company's website: http://www.c-3d.net/product_frameset.html

[edit]
I just have two questions:
  • How well can these discs handle scratches? CD and DVDs still function with minor scratches here and there, but how will they affect flourescent dye?
  • Where will the disc labels go?!? Just that tiny plastic center piece! Guess it'll be like double-sided DVDs....
[/edit]

----------------------------
"Should I call you Logan, WeaponX?"

<font color="#000000">[Edited by nootch on September 06, 2000 (edited 1 time)]</font>

The reason I'm not sure this will catch on is that I've only heard of this one company having the technology. Aside from the fact that I'd never heard of this company before this, I think this will be replaced by some other standard.
If you look at any of the standards we have today (CD, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, etc.), they were either developed by a large media corporation (ie. Pioneer, Sony, HP, etc.), or by a collaboration of large media corporations.
When was the last time you saw a popular media standard come out of a small engineering firm? The phonograph?

spidergoolash: "heh, a cup of diesel dan - mwahhha"
me: "heh, a cup of me is like a cup of heaven!"

I completely agree that a lot of great things get passed up because they aren't backed by industry leaders. But, apparently these guys are already talking with the large electronics manufacturers as well as movie studios.

"Should I call you Logan, WeaponX?"

Heh, Apple once talked to Xerox about their new computer operating system.
wink.gif

spidergoolash: "heh, a cup of diesel dan - mwahhha"
me: "heh, a cup of me is like a cup of heaven!"

Back