What's new

What inet sharing software

moonsee

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some input on what people are using.
I've been making up some linux How-to's and one that I am creating involves using a linux machine behind a windows gateway.
Just wanted to know what sort of sharing/proxy software people are using so I know what to cover.
I'm definately covering Sygate and possibly Winroute. What others are popular these days?
smile.gif

------------------
http://www.moonsee.com

I would also cover WinProxy, as well as the ICS setups in both Win98SE and Win2000.

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

Winroute is very good. Small, secure, and seamless to the client machines. It has a very small footprint, too. Wingate can be good, but it's also a major pain to set up securely. Wingate out of the box will leave you wide open to telnet, and a few other services if I remember correctly. I have a very thorough howto on setting it up along with Conseal firewall that I'd be willing to share if you're interested. Be forewarned that howto is over 1000 lines long, so some sort of file transfer arrangement would need to be made.

No software solution beats ipchains & ipmasq, IMHO.

Ski Bum

Back