What's new

What would you do??? Advice please!!!!

mommy2912

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Ok so let me start by stating that I am no where near being "a super great couponing expert" nor do I pretend to be. But I had a recent request arise and I'm not sure where to go with it!

So recently I found a great not for profit to donate to. The Boys and Girls Club. My kids go there, I am close to staff and they have a good idea of families that are in a bad way these days. So I am very comfortable donating there and glad they were willing to help me help others!

So as I literally too in a van load full of items to be distributed to various families in need our unit director and secretary (I think that's her title) where astounded by the amount I was donating. Knowing that my family is by no means well off and our income just took a massive decrease they couldn't understand why I was donating so much. I just said "I coupon". Still they assumed I spent hundreds on all this...........I took in like 50 boxes of post cereal, a bunch of Ragu sauce, sauve, toothpaste, hunts pudding, popcorn-you all Jewel peeps get the hint! They continued asking questions to which I tried to downplay, etc.

Long story short they asked if I would consider shopping for thier "snack shop". of course! All the proceeds from said "snack shop" goes right back to the kids at the club! Did I mention my kids love the club and I love the idea of kids having a safe place to go and stay off the streets?!

Then the unit director asked if I would teach others. He promised to promote it if I would help teach some of those that could really use to save money! UMMMMMMMMMMM..........how do you respond to that? First off again I am by far not "top of my class" with couponing, second umm I kind of don't want to share my store's inventory (to be honest here, LOL), but most importantly I don't want to step on anyone's toes in "the couponing world"-that's Jill's thing! I mean obviously IF I did do it I wouldn't be doing anything like she does I would just give basic knowledge type thing I guess. I'm not actually sure, kwim?

I thought about contacting Jill and asking her about doing a class here but they wouldn't be able to pay and since it's Non Profit I don't think they would allow her to charge and use thier building. Then again I'm not even sure how far I am from her (I am in NWI near the Michigan border-pretty far in from IL border). But that's not even the point....I couldn't find her email on her site!! Then again I have been up all night so I may not be as alert as needed when searching :)

Any thoughts on how I should handle this? Oh and they sounded like it was something they would be interested in doing soon. I never really gave them an answer I just kind of changed the subject but I will be seeing them later today cause my kids are going there. What would you do????

Thanks!

p.s.-anyone have Jill's email addy??

Could you show her DVD and then be available for questions? They would have to buy a DVD from her website. That way she would get something out of it and it would take most of the pressure off of you.

I thought you could send her a pm through the web site here. Superjill is her name.

Teach the basics... let them find out about the big details on their own... start easy and small as to not overwhelm. Even a small savings is BIG to people in need.. but most people will not become as hard core as others.

There are basics you could teach without giving away the "secrets" . When I teach a class I usually do it in 2-3 class meetings and break it down in basic coupon knowledge, how to read and use coupons for the first day. day two is about policies at local stores and also information on which stores are coupon tolerant, friendly, or hateful. day three is question and answer, some fine tuning and going over a couponing resource sheet with websites and blogs suggested for those who wish to learn more.

Could you show her DVD and then be available for questions? They would have to buy a DVD from her website. That way she would get something out of it and it would take most of the pressure off of you.

I thought you could send her a pm through the web site here. Superjill is her name.

From Jill's site.........."Note that if you have purchased the Super-Couponing home video, it does not contain a license for group exhibition. It is licensed for home use only. You will need to purchase this package, which is intended for group exhibitions and contains the proper one-time license for a group presentation. The license covers up to 200 viewers at a single event." The license costs $100-which I don't have and like I said they can't pay or charge :(

Teach the basics... let them find out about the big details on their own... start easy and small as to not overwhelm. Even a small savings is BIG to people in need.. but most people will not become as hard core as others.

Is it bad (totally selfish I know) that I wouldn't want to give away the "big details", LOL I had to learn everything myself by trial and error then I was blessed when I found this site where I could network and share tips/ideas with others.

ummm I know this will sound bad--but I dont want to teach anyone local to me because I too dont want to share my local stock.--I am not stupid i know there are other couponers out there--but why add. that all being said I have tried to help 2 families who I know have fallen on tough times--both have jumped in on a good week and gone gung ho --not sure if either have continued.

Is it bad (totally selfish I know) that I wouldn't want to give away the "big details", LOL I had to learn everything myself by trial and error then I was blessed when I found this site where I could network and share tips/ideas with others.

No not bad @ all... these are all learned by trial and error I believe... gotta get your feet wet before you swim with the fishes!

It's not selfish. I feel the same way and I don't share (especially CW) with just anyone. I'd bet there are lots that feel the same way.

There are basics you could teach without giving away the "secrets" . When I teach a class I usually do it in 2-3 class meetings and break it down in basic coupon knowledge, how to read and use coupons for the first day. day two is about policies at local stores and also information on which stores are coupon tolerant, friendly, or hateful. day three is question and answer, some fine tuning and going over a couponing resource sheet with websites and blogs suggested for those who wish to learn more.

So you teach??? My biggest concern was stepping on other's toes and not wanting to "ruin my rep" within this "community" of couponers! And again I honestly wouldn't want to give out the secrets.....personally I think others give out too many secrets sometimes :hides: so no one has to do any work for themselves! LOL Plus I'm selfish and don't want everyone clearing my shelves more than it already happens, LOL

It's not selfish. I feel the same way and I don't share (especially CW) with just anyone. I'd bet there are lots that feel the same way.

:shesaid: And the SELECTED few I have shared with don't come on much! Which is a-ok with me as they are in my area.... LESS COMPITION!!

ummm I know this will sound bad--but I dont want to teach anyone local to me because I too dont want to share my local stock.--I am not stupid i know there are other couponers out there--but why add. that all being said I have tried to help 2 families who I know have fallen on tough times--both have jumped in on a good week and gone gung ho --not sure if either have continued.

I completely agree!!!

But I do want to help others as well.................to a certain extent! LOL

Ummm we would have to be like total BFF's for me to give up this site if you lived near me! LOL

I have a good friend who basically calls each week to find out scenarios--ugh--I like to help, becuase she does me favors--but I will not tell her about WT's--ever--LOL

on the other hand....I would have never found out the secrets if someone didnt share them here with me/us--LOL

I think it's a great compliment that the unit director asked you to teach others how to coupon. If you are comfortable, go ahead and get some information together, like Sati suggested and just teach the basics. There really is a lot to learn if you have never used coupons before.

I don't think you are stepping on anyones toes by teaching a class or series of classes at this organization. A lot of people do this at their local churches, etc.

I hate FEEDING deals.... it bugs the **** out of me! Ok once or twice... cool! But for you to expect me to call you eveytime there is a MM or Free ****... NOPE not happening!

I have a good friend who basically calls each week to find out scenarios--ugh--I like to help, becuase she does me favors--but I will not tell her about WT's--ever--LOL

:lol: I know someone like that.........if I give them out I give simple ones like 16 ketchup with an OOP of $6.....I'm not working my **** off for you to get the good deals while you sit back and do nothing! LOL

And for the record I'm still jealous of those with WT's in your area........

on the other hand....I would have never found out the secrets if someone didnt share them here with me/us--LOL

I agree.....but I also try to contribute the best I can as well and not just come here use everyone else's scenarios and run to the store

I think it's a great compliment that the unit director asked you to teach others how to coupon. If you are comfortable, go ahead and get some information together, like Sati suggested and just teach the basics. There really is a lot to learn if you have never used coupons before.

I don't think you are stepping on anyones toes by teaching a class or series of classes at this organization. A lot of people do this at their local churches, etc.

thank you

Back