What's new

What's next for Nick Diaz?

JimRainer

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
After the loss against Carlos Condit, (please don't argue about the fight here, I think enough has been said about it), announcement for retirement, and a year-long suspension due to testing positive for marijuana after the fight, I don't know what he can do.

Everyone was anticipating the fight between Nick Diaz and GSP, but the fight will never come to fruition at this point. It seems like he announced his retirement prematurely, and it was just the heat of the moment that forced him to say such a rash decision. I think he still wants to fight; Dana White also believes Nick still wants to fight because he heard no word from his camp about retirement. But then that positive-testing for marijuana will keep him suspended for a long time.

I honestly think there's not much for him to do. I was really excited for the fight between him and GSP, but it's never going to happen. All we have to do now is wait and see how this whole mess rides out. Hopefully, after the suspension, he comes out stronger and gets a title-shot with GSP if GSP holds onto the title against his defense with Condit.

Gergoes has claimed in the past that he would vacate his title for a fight with Diaz so there is still a major shot at the fight happening. I see a match-up between Diaz and Koscheck being next, assuming that Nick comes back after his suspension. Dana won't cut Nick because the guy is a major draw. As long as he can come back strong, a fight between him and GSP is bound to happen.

Gergoes has claimed in the past that he would vacate his title for a fight with Diaz so there is still a major shot at the fight happening. I see a match-up between Diaz and Koscheck being next, assuming that Nick comes back after his suspension. Dana won't cut Nick because the guy is a major draw. As long as he can come back strong, a fight between him and GSP is bound to happen.

Diaz vs Koscheck? I don't think Koscheck really has much for Diaz. Diaz will tool him in stand-up, and he would dominate him on the ground. But it would be a great for Diaz after returning from his suspension. Hopefully that leads into a fight with GSP. But I do want GSP to have the title when the fight actually happens. If GSP loses the title, then the fight between Diaz and GSP really loses that thunder.

I'm sure Diaz will be back. There's just too much money for him not to continue fighting. A year is a long time off though and who knows how the Welterweight Division will look at that point. He will likely come back and fight a Top 10 if not Top 5 guy though.

Personally, I never liked the Diaz boys. Both of their in ring attitudes just scream arrogance. But to be fair, they can back it up. But when they lose I have to admit, I do get a tiny smile because it brings their egos back to reality

Personally, I never liked the Diaz boys. Both of their in ring attitudes just scream arrogance. But to be fair, they can back it up. But when they lose I have to admit, I do get a tiny smile because it brings their egos back to reality

I agree with this. And in a way it's funny because things would be very different right now if he had a different attitude. First let's assume that his fighting skill would be exactly the same. Now, if he had a better attitude, he wouldn't have missed his press events, and depending on how things happened, fought Condit back then instead of beating Penn then fighting Condit. Since the recent fight was very close, if it happened another time it easily could have gone the other way. And since Diaz didn't fail any tests at that time. So with a better attitude, we could have a Diaz right now who had beat Condit and not have been suspended for a year... but that didn't happen. So this is all pointless for me to say, lol.

I have to agree with some of you that I kind of smirked when Diaz lost the fight. I saw more show boating than I did actual fists flying from him. Throwing his hands down was just asking for it.

On the same token I recognize him as a good fighter. I liked his previous fights and wish that he was the one fighting GSP.

I'm sure Diaz will still have a fighting career in the future. I'm just not sure its going to be MMA. Kind of lame that he pulled a Brock Lesnar after the fight and threw in the towel. It sure didn't help some of his fans stay on his side about his view.

While I don't like the guy, he is always fun to watch and I'm sure he will be back. I hope he gets matched up against someone like Koscheck or Fitch. I'm really interested to see if he can beat any of the wrestlers in the division. I also wouldn't mind a matchup with someone like Kampmann or Alves. Either of those would be crazy. A fight with Sanchez would be an all out war too. I would love to see it.

While I don't like the guy, he is always fun to watch and I'm sure he will be back. I hope he gets matched up against someone like Koscheck or Fitch. I'm really interested to see if he can beat any of the wrestlers in the division. I also wouldn't mind a matchup with someone like Kampmann or Alves. Either of those would be crazy. A fight with Sanchez would be an all out war too. I would love to see it.

Right now, Fitch has a better shot and fighting (and possibly) beating Diaz. Koscheck's problem is that when he has an off day, he is REALLY OFF lol. Sometimes it's like he doesn't want to fight.

GSP has still expressed interest in fighting Diaz even after the loss to Condit, hopefully when Diaz has finished his suspension then Diaz would be one fight away from facing GSP if he's still champion (which I believe he probably will be), if not then we might get to see it straight away! That fight would be an absolute classic for the fans as I've never seen GSP so eager to fight someone before!

He's so eager to fight Diaz because he feels Diaz is so disrespectful. And to be honest, he IS. Look at how he talks. Look at how both him and his brother's in ring demeanor is.

GSP/Diaz would have been a huge fight, it's a shame it won't happen. GSP probably would have won quite comfortably, but Diaz might have been able to give him some problems.

GSP/Diaz would have been a huge fight, it's a shame it won't happen. GSP probably would have won quite comfortably, but Diaz might have been able to give him some problems.

If I've learned anything about sports. It's never to say never within the reasonable bounds. The fight might still happen.....one day

Yeah he's probably done, but who knows maybe he'll get back at it eventually.

Well, he's got at least a year off the sport, so he'll probably come around to a few more fights. He really isn't better than a mid-tier UFC WW tbh

I hope after all is said and done that Diaz either sticks to his word and retires or really re-evaluates himself as he said before that his hates fighting and does not want to do it anymore, plus him getting busted for weed twice really does not help the case either. Yet Joe Rogan goes untouched because hes just an announcer and it is legally prescribed to him by a doctor so Dana just turn's a blind eye. I'd like to see the fertitta brothers step up a bit more and give Dana a break.

attachment.php

You think they toked up before this shot? I do lol.

Kind Regard's

CharlieDeff

Attachments

• rogan_diaz-300x200.jpg
    rogan_diaz-300x200.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 29
Josh Koscheck or Jake Ellenberger.

or retire which I hope not.

He is not out for a year just yet. On the 22nd of this month the Nevada State Athletics Commission is going to meet and figure everything out. I have heard that Nick Diaz could of applied for a medical marijuana therapy use exemption before the tests. However he did not, and that is why he is in the spot he is in. Hopefully since he has a prescription for it, they will take some sort of leniency with him. It would be a shame for such a great fighter and MMA personality to be shelved for that long.

He is not out for a year just yet. On the 22nd of this month the Nevada State Athletics Commission is going to meet and figure everything out. I have heard that Nick Diaz could of applied for a medical marijuana therapy use exemption before the tests. However he did not, and that is why he is in the spot he is in. Hopefully since he has a prescription for it, they will take some sort of leniency with him. It would be a shame for such a great fighter and MMA personality to be shelved for that long.

Nevada State Athletics Commission will definitely let Nick fight again, fighters like Chael Sonnen who has caught before has started fighting. He may be able to fight after a year or probably less than a year. He definitely lost his shot at GSP and even the rematch with Condit.

Back