What's new

Whats your opinion on organizing your karaoke book!

Best way to organize book!

• General Music List By Artist (3 Columns)

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • General Music List By Artist (4 Columns)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General Music List By Title (2 Columns)

• Karaoke List By Artist (Single Column)

• Karaoke List By Artist (2 Columns)

• Karaoke List By Artist (2 Columns w/Full DiscIDs)

• Karaoke List By Artist (3 Columns)

• Karaoke List By Title (Single Column)

• Karaoke List By Title (2 Columns)

• Karaoke List By Title (2 Columns w/Full DiscIDs)

• You are thinking too much on this?

• Try another program!

• Total voters

DJMN

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Just need some pros opinions.

JoeChartreuse said:
Need more detail. What type of organization?

Latshaw! But I will try some other programs if this doesnt work out.

It really depends on several things,

1. How many songs you have to begin

2. what size font you want to use

3. how thick of a book you want

A 12 font is going to be fairly easy to read a 9 is going to pretty difficult for older people who need reading glasses but refuse to wear them!:triwink: But a 12 font is going to make the books about twice the size of a book done at 9!

For my "Artist" books I use 4 column with a 9 font at 168 pages! For the "title" books I use a 2 column witha 9 font for 246 pages

You're running the risk of looking like you have something to hide by not having the full disc id shown in your book. I could see you being branded a pirate just because you don't show disc id. Although it doesn't matter much to a computer based show perception is the reason I opt for the full id in my books.

Thunder said:
It really depends on several things,

1. How many songs you have to begin

2. what size font you want to use

3. how thick of a book you want

A 12 font is going to be fairly easy to read a 9 is going to pretty difficult for older people who need reading glasses but refuse to wear them!:triwink: But a 12 font is going to make the books about twice the size of a book done at 9!

For my "Artist" books I use 4 column with a 9 font at 168 pages! For the "title" books I use a 2 column witha 9 font for 246 pages

Question 1:

Like 6000 songs??

Question 2 and 3:

Something easy to read..size of book is moot.

Now my question:

So you recommend two styles of books?

How many do you bring to an event?

DJMN said:
Question 1:

Like 6000 songs??

Question 2 and 3:

Now my question:

I would:

1. Go through all my songs and make sure four things are absolutely correct:
a. Artist
b. Title
c. DiscID
d. all are named in the same fashion

The biggest help and reduction in the number of entries in your books will be by allowing Latshaws program combine Same Artist / Same Song into one listing. Instead of multiples due to spelling errors (that covers the first three items).

The last item d. means that all of your naming is done exactly the same whatever format you choose to use. I prefer Artist - Title - DiscID-Track#

I also use another product from Latshaw that makes it real easy to make these corrections even after you've zipped your files.

Once you have all this done and you go to make your books you wont end up with multiple listings for the same song and a much thinner and cheaper to produce book.

DJMN said:
Question 1:

Like 6000 songs??

Question 2 and 3:

12 Font in Arial or Veranda!

Now my question:

Yes you need at least one by title

Minimum of 20!

I also do the Childrens and Christmas in a seperate book and spanish in another!

jokerswild said:
I would:

1. Go through all my songs and make sure four things are absolutely correct:
a. Artist
b. Title
c. DiscID
d. all are named in the same fashion

The biggest help and reduction in the number of entries in your books will be by allowing Latshaws program combine Same Artist / Same Song into one listing. Instead of multiples due to spelling errors (that covers the first three items).

The last item d. means that all of your naming is done exactly the same whatever format you choose to use. I prefer Artist - Title - DiscID-Track#

I also use another product from Latshaw that makes it real easy to make these corrections even after you've zipped your files.

Once you have all this done and you go to make your books you wont end up with multiple listings for the same song and a much thinner and cheaper to produce book.

Thunder said:
Minimum of 20!

I also do the Childrens and Christmas in a seperate book and spanish in another!

THANK YOU...thank you, so very thank you!

I have never had more than 6 or 8 books depending on the size of the venue. Most pubs or bars hold less than 100 get 6 anything over 8 and I do have a few extras. Many of them sit at an idle table or the bar and no one is using them. I then went to a check out bin which seemed to work much better often gaining a request without the books leaving my area. The 6 or 8 book thing allowed me to keep better track of them and I also made them in white binder or fluorescence to allow spotting them for recovery at the end of the night.

How accurate is the program??

Sorry rob..taking the convo over here.

Until my collection gets bigger the way I print I'm able to simply staple my books together with a heavy duty stapler rather than buying three ring binders, sheet protectors and spending my day stuffing them....

With a total library of around 6000 figuring 20% or higher in duplications if you have named everything correctly you are looking at books with about 4800 listed songs... even with 2 Column printing and say 10pt font you might have 50-60 pages.....

Printed in draft mode on most laser printers would only take you maybe 45 minutes from print to finished books.

jokerswild said:
How accurate is what program?

Don't you import your library over or something to make it a faster process?

DJMN said:
Don't you import your library over or something to make it a faster process?

Here's my process:

1. I rip using Power CDG Burner, I take my time to make sure that as I rip that the information is as accurate as possible and matches my nameing format.

2. Once I've ripped my discs I will zip them overnight with MP3+G Toolz

3. I import my library into Latshaw's KJ File Manager: This program allows me to sort, search, filter, rename etc... what's nice is it not only renames the Zip file but also it's contents.

4. Once I'm confident that all my files are named correctly and my multiples are named the same (ie if I have 4 of a song they are all named the same except for the DiscID's) I then import into Latshaw's Songbook Creator to make my books or updates.

I print my books in 3 column for by Artist and 2 column for by Title all in 10 pt

See Steve! LOL

I do know the biz. Have something to offer even in my semi retirement.:tritongue:
Jon Tuck said:
I have never had more than 6 or 8 books depending on the size of the venue. Most pubs or bars hold less than 100 get 6 anything over 8 and I do have a few extras. Many of them sit at an idle table or the bar and no one is using them. I then went to a check out bin which seemed to work much better often gaining a request without the books leaving my area. The 6 or 8 book thing allowed me to keep better track of them and I also made them in white binder or fluorescence to allow spotting them for recovery at the end of the night.

Jon Tuck said:
I do know the biz. Have something to offer even in my semi retirement.:tritongue:

Jon,

I guess it depends on the popularity of your show, at the majority of mine 20 books is sometimes not enough! I have seen as many as four books on a table because so many were browsing through them!

What I like to do is have enough books to put at least one on each table but in some venues that is simply not feasible! I can't tell you how many people who would have normally never participated in karaoke who have looked through the book and ended up singing and staying for the night! This is the purpose of karaoke being in a bar to bring people in and to keep people there spending money!

Having people have to get up from their seats and going looking for a book or go to a kiosh and stand in line to find a song is not going to appeal to many who are not hardcore karaoke people! I had a family who came into Applebees for dinner one night and as I was passing out the books and put one on their table the lady told me that they were just here for dinner, that was at 8:30 at 11:30 they were still there and the entire family was still looking through the Karaoke book! They haven't missed a Monday since and everyone in that family gets up to sing at least one song each night!

Thunder said:
Jon,

I guess it depends on the popularity of your show, at the majority of mine 20 books is sometimes not enough! I have seen as many as four books on a table because so many were browsing through them!

What I like to do is have enough books to put at least one on each table but in some venues that is simply not feasible! I can't tell you how many people who would have normally never participated in karaoke who have looked through the book and ended up singing and staying for the night! This is the purpose of karaoke being in a bar to bring people in and to keep people there spending money!

Having people have to get up from their seats and going looking for a book or go to a kiosh and stand in line to find a song is not going to appeal to many who are not hardcore karaoke people! I had a family who came into Applebees for dinner one night and as I was passing out the books and put one on their table the lady told me that they were just here for dinner, that was at 8:30 at 11:30 they were still there and the entire family was still looking through the Karaoke book! They haven't missed a Monday since and everyone in that family gets up to sing at least one song each night!

Again...love your post! :tribiggrin:

I use 1 kiosk.

No books, no slips, no pencils, no binders, no sleeves....

c. staley said:
I use 1 kiosk.

No books, no slips, no pencils, no binders, no sleeves....

Before anyone knocks this idea.... it does work. I've seen it in action in San Jose, CA at the 7 Bamboo..... they have two terminals.... difference is they do sell slips to sing at the bar since it is all done in the Japanese way.

Altho they do supliment with books if one choose to go through one they can.

Back