What's new

Which of these schools are considered elitist?

ennui

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
I don't discern any difference, so maybe I'm missing some nuance.

Which of these schools could be considered elitist:

For undergraduate:

• Tufts University
  • University of Houston

For Law School:

• Boston College Law School
  • Rutgers School of Law

Boston College is private I'd assume both of the law schools are pretty elitist.

I'll go for Houston and Boston for the block. :9:

Doesn't really matter where you go to school as long as you get a degree in something halfway decent and you are hardworking. You could go to the best school in the nation and get a degree in underwater basket weaving and it wouldn't mean much. I laugh at all these people that go to expensive colleges and come out with over $100k in debt and they went there for something like religious studies or teaching. Then they give a sob story about how they can't pay off their students loans. :dunce: Many people are graduating from law school now and realizing that there are no jobs for lawyers. :dunce: So I'd say that neither of the law schools are prestigious. They just want to take your money. I'd go to school for something that is in demand (engineering and certain computer stuff).

Doesn't really matter where you go to school as long as you get a degree in something halfway decent and you are hardworking. You could go to the best school in the nation and get a degree in underwater basket weaving and it wouldn't mean much. I laugh at all these people that go to expensive colleges and come out with over $100k in debt and they went there for something like religious studies or teaching. Then they give a sob story about how they can't pay off their students loans. :dunce: Many people are graduating from law school now and realizing that there are no jobs for lawyers. :dunce: So I'd say that neither of the law schools are prestigious. They just want to take your money. I'd go to school for something that is in demand (engineering and certain computer stuff).

That all depends on yyour purpose for education. Some people actually explore higher education for the love of learning and not necessarily for the fact that they looking for a high demand job. Some people would rather have a career they love rather than a high paying job.

Plus in general the school you went to won't matter in many cases after a few years or hard work, but in reality there are many many cases where it does matter. And the quality of the education is different at different schools.

But back to the orginal point...these are all good schools.

I say go to school for what you love, but if you are going to school for something that doesn't pay much, it doesn't make sense to go to a prestigious school unless you have large scholarships or your parents can afford to pay for it. Right now I am going to school for the fun of it, so I get that people like to learn, but for me to pick the most prestigious school without the financial means to pay for it is not smart.

Agreed!

I say go to school for what you love, but if you are going to school for something that doesn't pay much, it doesn't make sense to go to a prestigious school unless you have large scholarships or your parents can afford to pay for it. Right now I am going to school for the fun of it, so I get that people like to learn, but for me to pick the most prestigious school without the financial means to pay for it is not smart.

I agree. To go into debt for school and not be able to come out to pay off the debt reasonably is not smart at all.

My response was to:
"Doesn't really matter where you go to school as long as you get a degree in something halfway decent and you are hardworking."
and
"I'd go to school for something that is in demand (engineering and certain computer stuff)."

For the first, I do think it matters sometimes, especially the level of training you get for your field and for the second part, I just feel like the amount of time you spend working in life is such a huge part of your life so you should go to school for something you love, even if it is law.

But I do agree that you should not go into debt for the sake of going to an elite school.

Back