What's new

Who is the Best QB of all time?

Rocky Balboa

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Let me list the usual suspects. Feel free to add any you think I have forgoten about (or purposely left out).

I think most people feel Joe Montana is the all time best. I think his replacement, Steve Young, was actually better. I know most won't agree.

Roger Starbach and Terry Bradshaw had some great duels. However, I think Bradshaw was very overated.

Dan Marino had a nice carreer. He lost a Super Bowl to Montana and the Niner's.

There are some old guy's like Bat Star and Fran Tarkenton. I'm not old enough to remember them.

I think some of the current crop of QB's are better than any of those guys'. Arron Rogers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning.

My pick for all time best is Peyton Manning

What say you?

It's so tough to compare old vs new. The QB greats of the 50s 60s 70s and even early 80s are playing in a totally different game than the more recent QBs are. I always have a tough time deciding.

Yeah it definitely tough becasue those guys were so good for their time and things were way different. Not really fair to comare them. But if i had to chose, like you said in the OP, i would probably choose Joe Montana :D

Montana, no question. Small guy, less than strong arm but took advantage of Walsh's West Coast offense. Interesting that the OP didn't list Tom Brady

If we go old school quarterbacks it is definitely Joe Montana. But if we are going current group I think Aaron Rodgers has the best overall abilities as both a passer and a scrambler. If I had to go with one overall from both old school and new age I'd have to go with Aaron Rodgers. While his career isn't over he is on track to break almost all records except the one that Brett Favre has for the interceptions.

I don't have a hard time choosing who is the best quarterback! lol PEYTON MANNING!!!

I would have to go with Joe Montana. This guy had an absolute monster career. He won so many rings, and just learned how to win football games. He had a great arm, and could place the ball perfectly. He would definitely have to be my pick for greatest of all-time. As people have mentioned, this is a new day and age. Now, quarterbacks have to be quick, strong, and a lot more athletic. I am not saying Montana was any of those, just it is different now.

I also think Steve Young was the greatest QB ever. He would have far greater career totals if he didn't have to back-up Montana all those years. He ran the west coast offense to perfection.

If we go old school quarterbacks it is definitely Joe Montana. But if we are going current group I think Aaron Rodgers has the best overall abilities as both a passer and a scrambler. If I had to go with one overall from both old school and new age I'd have to go with Aaron Rodgers. While his career isn't over he is on track to break almost all records except the one that Brett Favre has for the interceptions.

I agree with you if it is on current quarterbacks it would have to Aaron Rodgers. He is a very smart football player, and knows what he is doing out there. Nothing to take away from Farve but some of his interceptions could have been cut down some if he was playing smarter on some of those plays. Rodgers will be on track to best all time quarterback in the history of the NFL.

I would definitely have to say Aaron Rodgers. He is an awesome quarterback. He knows just where his other teammates are. He has quite an arm. He plays an awesome game. I believe that he will only get better than he already is.

I think that back several years ago, it would have been Brett Favre. He was a good quarterback when he was younger. Wisconsin has had a couple awesome quarterbacks.

Brady without a doubt. that guy does more for his team than any QB except peyton and the only reason i cant pick peyton is becuase the lack of rings. Im picking brady also becuse i didn't grow up in the 60/70's so i never got to watch marino. He may have been better but i havn't gotten to watch him year after year.

Drew Brees all the way. He had an amazing season with the Saints last season, breaking the record for passing yards. I love this guy, and I think he can lead the Saints to another Superbowl win.

Brady without a doubt. that guy does more for his team than any QB except peyton and the only reason i cant pick peyton is becuase the lack of rings. Im picking brady also becuse i didn't grow up in the 60/70's so i never got to watch marino. He may have been better but i havn't gotten to watch him year after year.

I will take Peyton over Brady because Brady is nothing with out Big Bill HCing IMO.

Peyton can run an offense, that is why he will be successful no matter where he goes.

Brady goes down and Patriots still have an 11 win season, Peyton goes down and Colts win 2 games...

I will take Peyton over Brady because Brady is nothing with out Big Bill HCing IMO.

Peyton can run an offense, that is why he will be successful no matter where he goes.

Brady goes down and Patriots still have an 11 win season, Peyton goes down and Colts win 2 games...

This has been proven folks. I think we all should have learned to appreciate how good Peyton really is.

Of'coarse, one could argue that Brady's replacement in 2008 (Matt Cassel) was not bad. Still, the Pats did fine without Brady. While the Colts had a total melt down without Peyton.

Drew Brees all the way. He had an amazing season with the Saints last season, breaking the record for passing yards. I love this guy, and I think he can lead the Saints to another Superbowl win.

I like Drew Brees. However, I just can't accept how many interceptions he throws. He throws 15 - 20 or more picks a year. Too many! He's a gunslinger and gambler with the ball. I like my quarterback to be a little more conservative with the ball.

Because of his size, he's an underdog type of player who everyone loves, and he is a top 5 QB, but he needs to clean up those picks.

They are all great quarterback that you have mentioned. You did forget Brett Farve though. I thought he did a great job quarterbacking despite his interceptions. But I think Aaron Rodgers is going to be the next best quarterback. He is very smart out there on the field. He has a very low interception rate and an excellent quarterback rating. I see great things in his future.

I like Drew Brees. However, I just can't accept how many interceptions he throws. He throws 15 - 20 or more picks a year. Too many! He's a gunslinger and gambler with the ball. I like my quarterback to be a little more conservative with the ball.

Because of his size, he's an underdog type of player who everyone loves, and he is a top 5 QB, but he needs to clean up those picks.

Yup. As a Saints fan I can attest to this. He always gets his 1 pick per game in. A lot of it comes from him just trying to do to much, he rarely throws balls away.

Yup. As a Saints fan I can attest to this. He always gets his 1 pick per game in. A lot of it comes from him just trying to do to much, he rarely throws balls away.

I've always felt that Drew brees could, perhaps, become the best QB in the league if he would just throw the ball away every now and then.

He is also guilty of taking sacks at the worst opportune time.
Example: Saints are in field goal range at the 33 yard line (46 yard kick) and are trying to convert 3rd down with an 8 yard pass. Brees scrambles around and takes a sack at the 39 yard line, which takes the Saints out of field goal range.

He's not terrible at INTs or at taking sacks at the wrong time. But, this is where he needs to improve. I think his problem is, he tries to be the Hero too much.

Currently, Aaron Rodgers is on top. I was also surprised that you didn't mention Brett Favre anywhere on that list. While his ending was a bit pitiful, in his prime he was pretty fantastic as well.

Currently, Aaron Rodgers is on top. I was also surprised that you didn't mention Brett Favre anywhere on that list. While his ending was a bit pitiful, in his prime he was pretty fantastic as well.

I never thought Favre was fantastic. His consecutive games played was impressive, yes. But, he was just a gunslinger with a super stong arm. I know he has bunch of records but not all of them are good.
Just two examples: most INTs in league history (310), most fumbles (161).

The dude was a turnover waiting to happen.

Back