What's new

Why are teachers paid so poorly?

Heatman

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I have been researching all over the world on what teachers are paid when it comes to how important their job is but the sad truth is that they all being poor below the job they do and I can't seem to understand why it's that way.

I'm of the opinion that teachers should be paid more because they are doing a lot for our society and kids.

I think teachers are paid poorly because government doesn't really see teaching as an important job even though it is very important. Some people probably think teachers have it too easy but there's a lot of pressure on teachers.

You have to keep children safe, make sure they learn things and also make sure that you support them through their personal lives. It's a lot to ask for somebody, even when you don't pay them much.

I think it's ridiculous that teachers don't get paid well. It's crazy to think that I, a factory worker is making more money than a Texas teacher. (I read on Reddit that this ex middle school teacher was only making $17 an hour whereas I make over $19 an hour.) I'm not saying my work isn't important, but it's definitely not as important as teachers who are helping the next generation grow and learn.

I have often asked myself this so much. My auntie was a teacher and she ended up retiring as soon as she was able to due to the pay she was receiving, it never made any sense for her to continue on the salary she was getting. I know at the moment in the UK teachers are participating in a lot of strikes regarding pay but it seems like no pay increase if happening yet. For all, they do for the society they deserve to have a pay increase but for some reason, it seems like it's a difficult decision for them to make.

The problem is that those in government thinks that teachers are doing little to warrant big checks and that is the problem. If they can be able to factor in the fact that teacher mould the leaders of tomorrow, they will see why they deserve to be paid big.

I used to be a substitute teacher and it really depends on the school system for how much a teacher gets paid, as well as their level of education. Most school systems want teachers to keep learning and continuing their degrees. Of course that puts them deeper into debt but they'll get pay increases with each level of education they receive.

I have taught in 3 high schools and I have to state that the very reason why teachers are not paid well is because the profession of not valued. People look down on teachers because there is a large supply of teachers unlike other professors like medicine and others.

I have taught in 3 high schools and I have to state that the very reason why teachers are not paid well is because the profession of not valued. People look down on teachers because there is a large supply of teachers unlike other professors like medicine and others.

I think that is quickly changing, a lot of schools seem to be struggling to get teachers to fill empty spots.

I do not think teachers are poorly paid, at least not in my home country. Community teachers earn really well. Some private schools do not pay well bit most of the big private schools are paying a lot of money. I am saying this because I have a lot of relatives who are in teaching profession.

It's a very sad situation in most part of the world. Though it is the most important job( if one sees in the right perception), but doesn't get it's due. Though the best brains with hearts in right place should come to this profession to build up a nation and world, unfortunately, not many look up to this profession as a viable source of living. Many would like to pursue it, but the paychecks are not encouraging.

I think the issue of teachers being poorly paid is just synonymous to a few developing countries. And it is because those countries don't really place any value on education. And they don't regard it in the grand scheme of things.

Back