What's new

Wie defends right to play men's tour

Champ Kind

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
My problem with her is not if she should be able to play in "men's" events, that's fine with me and don't see why it would not be allowed.

However, I have no problem with people giving her **** about doing it when she can't even win a tournament in the LPGA. And until she shows she can win there I won't feel her quest to play on the men's tour is about anything other than money and celebrity. She and her handlers want her to be the next Tiger without having the most important part of that formula...........WINS.

REUTERS Garcia casts doubt on Wie's chances

CRANS-SUR-SIERRE, Switzerland (Reuters) - The day before Michelle Wie makes her European Tour debut, Sergio Garcia raised doubts on Wednesday about the 16-year-old prodigy's chances of ever winning a men's event.
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~a/reuters/sportsNews?a=d2ImBa

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~f/reuters/sportsNews?a=0OQvAE7d http://feeds.feedburner.com/~f/reuters/sportsNews?a=g6RpRn6h http://feeds.feedburner.com/~f/reuters/sportsNews?a=uOmHP1tt http://feeds.feedburner.com/~f/reuters/sportsNews?a=U6B3hmWc http://feeds.feedburner.com/~f/reuters/sportsNews?a=FpvRKxbS

Link To Original Article

When is she going to give this up? :rolleyes:

Let's remember she is only 16. How many of the top ranked boys at 16 could do any better at these events. She is getting in only because of the publicity it generates for the event but is that really her fault? One day she will make a cut and if she is having a good week she may even compete for a win somewhere down the road.

I don't really care how old she is she doesn't deserve to be playing in those tournaments. She has never even won any tourny she has entered on the women's tour and she can't even make the cut on the men's. If this was Annika Sorenstam no one would have any complaints, she has proven herself on the women's tour and played well against men in some events as well.

Wie has proven or earned nothing. Her game is not on a high enough level for the LPGA at this point much less the PGA. She is a sideshow and her spot in these tournys should be going to someone who might actually make the cut and has earned the right to be there.

I don't really care how old she is she doesn't deserve to be playing in those tournaments. She has never even won any tourny she has entered on the women's tour and she can't even make the cut on the men's. If this was Annika Sorenstam no one would have any complaints, she has proven herself on the women's tour and played well against men in some events as well.

Wie has proven or earned nothing. Her game is not on a high enough level for the LPGA at this point much less the PGA. She is a sideshow and her spot in these tournys should be going to someone who might actually make the cut and has earned the right to be there.

I think you may be mistaken. Annika Sorenstam DID play in a PGA event (2003 Colonial), and got NOTHING but complaints.

Okay then I would have no complaints. :p

My problem really has nothing to do with Wie wanting to play on the men's tour. In fact I'd have no problems doing away with the differences in the men's and women's games altogether.

But the bottom line is Wie doesn't deserve to be getting into those tournys and proves time and time again that she can't cut it on either pro tour yet.

Okay then I would have no complaints. :p

My problem really has nothing to do with Wie wanting to play on the men's tour. In fact I'd have no problems doing away with the differences in the men's and women's games altogether.

But the bottom line is Wie doesn't deserve to be getting into those tournys and proves time and time again that she can't cut it on either pro tour yet.

and on that point, I agree 100%. IF she collects some wins SOMEWHERE, then maybe she can play with the big boys...just like the big boys have to do!

I don't think that's true, she did finish in the top 5 of a couple of the LPGA majors. She is usually quite competitive on the woman's circuit and not winning doesn't mean you don't belong out there. There are many guys on the PGA tour who make a real nice living and never sniff a victory.

I don't think that's true, she did finish in the top 5 of a couple of the LPGA majors. She is usually quite competitive on the woman's circuit and not winning doesn't mean you don't belong out there. There are many guys on the PGA tour who make a real nice living and never sniff a victory.

hey Snazz...figured you'd be somewhere, drunk, in mourning today...:shifty:

Nope but luckly I didn't have any sharp objects near me when that fiasco ended.

and on that point, I agree 100%. IF she collects some wins SOMEWHERE, then maybe she can play with the big boys...just like the big boys have to do!

She is Anna Kournikova except not as good looking.

I still think we don't really know how competitive she can be actually playing on that circuit since she attempts more men's events than LPGAs.

Here is her 2006 schedule. Clearly when she does play in the LPGA events she is a potential winner as she was in the top 5 in all but one event. Also her play is limited by the fact that she is still in high school and attends school(not home schooled or tutored). All this being said I agree she should probably stick to the LPGA for now but I guess if given the chance, how many of us would pass up playing in a PGA event.
2006 Tournaments
Tournament Name & Prize $ Dates Final Results
Casio World Open Nov23-26
Samsung World Championship Oct12-15
84 Lumber Classic Sep14-17 Missed Cut, 77-81=158 mens event
Omega European Masters Sep7-10 Missed Cut, 78-79=157 mens event
Women's British Open - $18,059 Aug 3-6 T26, 6-over par, 74-74-72-74=294
Evian Masters - $255, 333 Jul26-29 T2, 15-under par, 69-66-70-68=273
John Deere Classic Jul13-16 Withdrew due to heat exhaustion
HSBC World Match Play Jul 6-9 Advanced to 3rd round
US Womens Open - $156,038 Jun29-Jul2 T3, 2-over par, 70-72-71-73 = 286
McDonalds LPGA Championship - $57,464 Jun8-11 T5, 6-under par, 71-68-71-72=282
Kraft Nabisco Championship - $108,222 Mar30-Apr2 T3, 8-under par, 66-71-73-70=280
Fields Open, Hawaii - $73,227 Feb 23-25 3rd place, 13-under par, 67-70-66=203
Sony Open, Hawaii Jan12-15 Missed Cut, 79-68=147 mens event

Back