What's new

Yankees Tumble Into Tie for Last Place

Eison

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by By FRED GOODALL@ AP Sports Writer

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A pregame meeting didn't help the struggling New York Yankees. The team with baseball's largest payroll dropped its third straight to the low-budget Tampa Bay Devil Rays 6-2 Thursday night, falling into a tie for last place in the AL East.

Mark Hendrickson pitched effectively into the eighth inning, and Alex Sanchez homered and scored four times for the Devil Rays, who won a series against the Yankees for the first time since September 2002 by taking three of four from the seven-time defending division champions.

New York (11-18) has lost seven of its last nine games and four consecutive series to plunge seven games under .500 for the first time since July 18, 1995, when it was 33-40. The Yankees share the AL East cellar with the Devil Rays, who have won four of six meetings between the teams after going 4-15 against New York last season.

Manager Joe Torre held a team meeting before the game, urging his $200 million club to "ignore yesterday" and focus on the present as it tries to fight its way out of its toughest stretch in a decade.

Wow, this just continues to suprise me, I just wouldn't think that a team with that much talent would be this bad. Struggle some yes, not dominate sure, but be the worst in their division?

I longed for a day when the Rox we're as good as the Yankees. We're getting closer. :lol:

I cant believe theyre doing this bad! But they always start off slow, maybe this year theyre starting off really slow.

The big man must be pissed!

i dont know, looking at their pitching, just doesnt seem to impressive anymore, mussina is way past his prime, randy johnson seems to be getting old quick, kevin brown seems done

maybe they are in for a long year this year, probably wrong , but who knows, they might not make the playoffs

Back