What's new

48 Hours and Counting.... (Free Software)

You got me thinkin'.... (dangerous as that may be)

I tested out the RTF file-writing time on a database of 10,368 tracks. Now, keep in mind that this time is what is timed after a disk scan. Although there wasn't one in this case, I can with most certainty guess that a disk scan of this magnitude would take approximately 1.5 minutes including the temporary database build.

Anyway, the file writing time for this database was all of 25 seconds to write both the titles listing and the artist listing.

tried it on windows, error 75. tried it on ubuntu in wine, just closes. like the concept, but haven't been able to try it yet.

tried it on windows, error 75. tried it on ubuntu in wine, just closes. like the concept, but haven't been able to try it yet.

Running Vista are you?

If you are running Vista OR Windows 7 then you need to install and run it using Virtual PC in "XP Mode"

Vista "hides" files, pure and simple. And an "error 75" is strictly operating system related in this case:
"ERROR 75: The operating system could not make a connection between the path and the file name."

When the program asks for the FOLDERS, Vista gives up the names, but when the program wants the FILE NAMES inside those folders, Vista is hiding them and the operating system is reporting to my program that there suddenly is/are no files and now not even the same folders it had just reported. Consequently, it is a "File/Path error."

As I suggested to Reality Check, just take your songs on your external backup drive (you have one right?) and run this program on an XP machine. Shouldn't take very long.

Okay, here's the IMPROVED VERSION:

Modifications:

1. Added "REMOVE ALL DUPLICATES" function. This means that all the duplicates will be removed. Sorry, it doesn't give you a choice of brand, but it will work. Be advised: Because this function involves several "comparison tests" it is very time-intensive. It will take a few minutes to run so be patient. You'll see a counter as it goes up and at the end, you'll also see what the final count was in your book.

2. Added "DO NOT PRINT DISC ID" function. This means that the leader dots AND the disc ID will NOT appear in either the song title or artist section.

3. Changed FILE DESTINATIONS. All files will now be written to the same folder as the program and NOT to the root of drive C:

Please NOTE:

1) If you have already downloaded and installed this program, then you ONLY need the TWO files below. You MUST place these files in the same folder as the files you have already installed. The default folder location is: C:/book

CLICK HERE for the update file ONE
CLICK HERE for the update file TWO

2) If you have NOT already downloaded and installed this program, then you can do so here:

CLICK HERE for the full Installation file.

As usual, give it a try and let me know how it works.... (be nice, remember it's still free.)

Sorry about the (attached) error.

two files here...

The second is a screenshot after I run the file search with the updated mp3gbooke.exe and click on create songbooks. I get another error:

"Couldn't find installable ISAM. Unable to create Database 3170."

BTW, it is above and beyond to be doing this on Thanksgiving.

I give you thanks.

Sorry about the (attached) error.

two files here...

The second is a screenshot after I run the file search with the updated mp3gbooke.exe and click on create songbooks. I get another error:

"Couldn't find installable ISAM. Unable to create Database 3170."

BTW, it is above and beyond to be doing this on Thanksgiving.

I give you thanks.

yeah,.. I realized that and you snagged the files before I could get the correction(s) up... They are up now... download them it again... I just ran it here and it was fine...

And the first "input past end" error might be the converted/edited hoster.dat file that you have. This little update should save you a LOT of hassles and headaches.

There are TWO files for you to download... See above....

I've got to say, I'm impressed.

I used the dupe removal and DiscId eliminator and then I set up the page for 3 columns with a divider line in between and my list of 23,000+ non duped titles comes out to less than 200 pages. I'm going through the list and I have found some duplicates that were left behind by the process. I have to look closely at the file names to be certain that there aren't errant spaces or other punctuation that identifies a file as unique even thought the listing looks identical for example: 3OH!3's Don't Trust Me is listed three times after dupe removal.

The next thing I'm interested in is an easy edit of the font style. I want to increase the size of the song title font and keep it bolded and reduce the artist font size (on the title list). I looked in this thread because I thought I remembered you saying something about how easy it would be to edit the style. If I wanted to make the font format changes all at once and keep the differentiation, what would you suggest?

Thanks again for your time and effort Chip. I may stick with bound books for one more season as I continue to develop my tablet based idea. In any case I'm gonna use FreeBook to create the listings and then convert to pdf files and then distribute the song books on the web and mobile devices.

You are welcome. Use the global search and replace function in Ms word and search. For formatting. In the titles section, search for arial italic (the artist's names) and change the font, style and/or size.

Back