What's new

64 bit Vista?

The Wizard Of OZ

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Well, I think I'm going to buy a second laptop for a backup and I'm seeing a lot of them coming with Vista 64. Do most programs run the same with 64 bit Vista as with regular Vista?

The one program I'm specifically concerned about that I wish someone(Rob?) would check is Karafun. The other one is DJMixPro which I'm thinking about buying.

I bring this up because I remember Latshaw Karma didn't run on Vista 64? Is there a way to downgrade from Vista 64 to regular Vista? Why are newer laptops shipping with Vista 64?

Well, I think I'm going to buy a second laptop for a backup and I'm seeing a lot of them coming with Vista 64. Do most programs run the same with 64 bit Vista as with regular Vista?

The one program I'm specifically concerned about that I wish someone(Rob?) would check is Karafun. The other one is DJMixPro which I'm thinking about buying.

I bring this up because I remember Latshaw Karma didn't run on Vista 64? Is there a way to downgrade to Vista 64? Why are newer laptops shipping with Vista 64?

I no longer have the 64 bit version loaded on any of my computers. I went and installed a clean Vista 32 OEM from newegg... And now all my programs are much happier including Karma and AutOKdj...

My recomendation is get the 32 bit version if you can of just reload it with a freash install.

I am no computer guru, but I have had 3 programs that came up the the message " This software is not compatible with this version of Windows".

64 bit operating systems are better in the long run since it allows more memory to be used. Nothing wrong with Windows Vista 64 it is the software and hardware companies draging their feet to properly use the OS I run 64 bit Windows on all my gigging machines and they run much better than they did wint win 32. Luckally all my hardware have 64 bit drivers....

Anyone care to download Karafun and DJMixPro to see if they run OK on 64 bit Vista?

Thanks drzinc. I use Karafun a lot, it's really important to me to know that.

You should download the DJMixPro demo and try it out. It's very powerful and simple and it's very inexpensive. The demo is free.

I've only found one program that won't run on V64 -- Quickbooks Pro 2006. The only reason it won't run, is because the install won't work.

Any 32 bit program, can conceivably run just dandy on 64 bit Vista. The problem is, some programs (and older installs), test for the version of Windows. If they have no clue what V64 is, they will sometimes refuse to run, because they may think they are running on an old version of Windows, that can't support their config.

It's literally as simple as that :)

I'm having some serious issues with 64. From winamp (I use Roxbox for karaoke) to PCDJ Red VRM (they don't support multiple output cards on Vista/64), to PCDJ KJ/Karma (won't even install on a clean Vista 64 machine), the issues are absolutely HORRIBLE.

Big kudos for Virtual DJ 5.0 which installed without a problem and allowed me to use my current dual output sound card without any issues. The only reason I mention Virtual DJ above Soft Jock's Rockit (Sorry Rick) is because I can't get the darn MIDI configuration utility to run so I can map out my DAC-3 controller with it. However, it does seem to support the dual sound outputs (I think, I don't remember if I tested on Rockit).

Here's one that won't.
Palm OS does not provide a way to sync your Palm to your Vista 64 desktop computer.
This is not a failure to develop quickly enough.
Somewhere on the Palm website they state that they do not intend to develop such software.
As a previous poster stated, this is not a problem with Vista 64 it is problem with other people's software.

The only reason I mention Virtual DJ above Soft Jock's Rockit (Sorry Rick) is because I can't get the darn MIDI configuration utility to run so I can map out my DAC-3 controller with it. However, it does seem to support the dual sound outputs (I think, I don't remember if I tested on Rockit).

The DAC-3 is not a standard MIDI device -- it has it's own command set. I have no desire to allow mapping to proprietary devices.

The DACs are old, tired, and they even tried to dump their excess stock on me -- rebranded with my software's name on them. Not happening in my lifetime ;) :)

Rick,
I am going to be buying a new laptop- if it should have Vista64 on it, will Rockit run flawlessly? It's the only software I care about! :)

That's all I need to know!!!

Thank you sir!! :sqbiggrin:

BTW, Rockit is built as a 32 bit app for backward compatibility -- but the main dev computers are running V64 or Win7(64).

The key to making programs work on many platforms, is to follow Window's guidelines, and not put hacks in (see above mentioned DAC-3, for an example). I don't take shortcuts.

Having said that, we won't be testing the new release coming up, on anything earlier that Vista. XP is almost 9 years old, and time to be retired IMHO (and many others). There are lots of new features we want to use, that are only available in Vista or above, and they will be prominent in the next release.

I hate living in the past -- I like moving forward :)

BTW, Rockit is built as a 32 bit app for backward compatibility -- but the main dev computers are running V64 or Win7(64).

The key to making programs work on many platforms, is to follow Window's guidelines, and not put hacks in (see above mentioned DAC-3, for an example). I don't take shortcuts.

Having said that, we won't be testing the new release coming up, on anything earlier that Vista. XP is almost 9 years old, and time to be retired IMHO (and many others). There are lots of new features we want to use, that are only available in Vista or above, and they will be prominent in the next release.

I hate living in the past -- I like moving forward :)

Understood! I have always been an XP fan, it's the only thing I run- but I fear that it is time to take a step forward into the future as I can't get a new laptop pre-loaded with XP. My main concern is what Rockit will run on- but it sounds as either 32 or 64 Vista should suit me fine! :sqbiggrin:

A concern/problem I have is that the new laptops don't have S-video ports and I wonder how long before they stop putting VGA ports? I need to get a machine with one VGA and one S-video and hope that it will last a few years. At that point I'll have to change the monitor for Karaoke or get a signal converter of some sort.

One of my LCD monitors has both an HDMI and a VGA port, but I think the other one is just VGA.

The new super cool touch screen PCs that I would love to get don't even have a VGA port for an external monitor or I would likely buy one instead of a laptop.

The new super cool touch screen PCs that I would love to get don't even have a VGA port for an external monitor or I would likely buy one instead of a laptop.

I have one Wiz -- trust me, not something you want for a gig machine... :sqwink:

Too slow, and built for home use.

I'd bargain on another 3-5 years, before that tech. is usable in our environment (easily and within reason on the cost scale).

Good to know Rick. I really like the idea though. I like using a mouse but I'm not at all a fan of laptop touch pads. I'm looking forward to the day touch screens are commonplace. I imagine you can use a mouse with one too.

Back