What's new

7-9 inches of snow here in Atlanta, GA

Kaiser

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
Alright so it started snowing yesterday night and we were warned it would be a sever snow storm. So school, work everything got canceled. Our house is 2 stories so if you go downstairs the snow almost covered in the windows. It never snowed like this in Atlanta, GA (USA). I was born and raised here and never have I seen that much snow. 7-9 inches, lol im amazed. Time to make a snowman and a igloo lol. I'll try and take pics, and post them later on. Snow is actually a shock to people in GA as it is a very hot place, so when it snowed about 7-9 inches that is something out of this world for us lol.

It never snowed like this in Atlanta, GA (USA). I was born and raised here and never have I seen that much snow. 7-9 inches, lol im amazed. Time to make a snowman and a igloo lol. I'll try and take pics, and post them later on. Snow is actually a shock to people in GA as it is a very hot place, so when it snowed about 7-9 inches that is something out of this world for us lol.

Yes, it has, you just were not around then...March 13th 1993. Latest about a week. Dropped about a foot of snow over most of the south. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/bmx/?n=winter_blizzardof1993 (Sorry, just looked at the statistics, Atl only got 4 inches but most of the South got a foot or more)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

I remember walking out to my patio with a ruler (one of the 12 inch kind you used in school long ago) and almost lost it in the snow, I had over 11 inches in my back yard. I was in Greenville, SC at the time.

Btw, we have about 5 inches here and I just want it gone....tired of it.

I am in the Upstate of SC and we got hammered to...been a while since we got socked that bad. Not going anywhere for a while either temps in the low 20's............

I am in the Upstate of SC and we got hammered to...been a while since we got socked that bad. Not going anywhere for a while either temps in the low 20's............
Same here dont plan to go out. Cold as hell here.

I'm in Greenville, SC here. I haven't measured ours, but I've heard reports of 7+" around here too...I stayed in today, but tomorrow I've got to go out. My wife works at the hospital and she has no choice but to go. I live in Greenville and she works in Spartanburg. Here's to hoping we don't get stuck in a ditch tomorrow :confused:

People who are used to snow laugh, but it's different down here...Yes, I know, we suck at driving in the snow. As we should, we never do it...but our 7" of snow is a lot worse than your 7", trust me ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_winter_weather:
Atlanta, which got 4 to 7 inches, has just eight snow plows. The city hired a fleet of 11 privately run trucks to help spread salt and gravel.

Yes, 8.

All they've done so far is work on the interstate. None of the side roads have been touched and the storm started over 24 hours ago.

I'm in Greenville, SC here. I haven't measured ours, but I've heard reports of 7+" around here too...I stayed in today, but tomorrow I've got to go out. My wife works at the hospital and she has no choice but to go. I live in Greenville and she works in Spartanburg. Here's to hoping we don't get stuck in a ditch tomorrow :confused:

People who are used to snow laugh, but it's different down here...Yes, I know, we suck at driving in the snow. As we should, we never do it...but our 7" of snow is a lot worse than your 7", trust me ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_winter_weather:

Yes, 8.

All they've done so far is work on the interstate. None of the side roads have been touched and the storm started over 24 hours ago.
Well said very true, like you said we dont deal with this kind of snow so its alot for us...

The snow itself isn't any worse, it's the level of preparedness that makes the difference. People up north are both more used to driving in snow and cities are better prepared to clear the snow.

I think it's really funny that Atlanta only had 8 plows, because Hilliard, Ohio (a city of 30,000 and where I live) has 10 plows that can also spread salt, and 16 pickup trucks to assist in plowing. Of course, Hilliard also does the best snow removal of anyone in the central Ohio area. ;) It certainly explains why most of the south is completely shut down right now.

The snow itself isn't any worse, it's the level of preparedness that makes the difference. People up north are both more used to driving in snow and cities are better prepared to clear the snow.

I think it's really funny that Atlanta only had 8 plows, because Hilliard, Ohio (a city of 30,000 and where I live) has 10 plows that can also spread salt, and 16 pickup trucks to assist in plowing. Of course, Hilliard also does the best snow removal of anyone in the central Ohio area. ;) It certainly explains why most of the south is completely shut down right now.
The difference between Hilliard, OH having 10 is that the AVERAGE yearly snowfall for that area is 40 inches. Atlanta's average YEARLY snowfall is 2.5 inches. When you average less than 3 inches a year, snow plows are NOT cost effective.

The difference between Hilliard, OH having 10 is that the AVERAGE yearly snowfall for that area is 40 inches. Atlanta's average YEARLY snowfall is 2.5 inches. When you average less than 3 inches a year, snow plows are NOT cost effective.
Oh yeah, I know that, and that's what I was saying - it explains why everything is shut down. It's more of a comparison on how few plows that is and how many you would need in a city like Atlanta to be effective for the rare snowfall like this - which definitely would not be cost effective at all.

Anytime we get storms coming up from the South like that they are always bad ones. Then you get Artic air along with Gulf moisture and you get snow.

To further emphasize the point that the South is not prepared to handle snow:

That is in the heart of Atlanta

No ones equipped to handle Mother Nature's fury when she decides to give it everything she's got! I have seen news reports even in the Northern States where even they cannot keep the roads clear even with all their fancy equipment and all the know it alls they have up there.

Back