What's new

A Little Help From My Friends- PLEASE?!?

JoeChartreuse

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
How do I get out of this?:

A member of the local Moose Club has requested that I do Karaoke there, and has offered to pay my standard fee, which is pretty high for a service organization.

1) Awhile back I purposely cut back to 5 nights per week, and really don't want to do more.

2) Service organizations- at least in my area- are notorious for being great as one time events, but crappy as regular venues.

As you might guess, I DON'T want to do it. Here's the problem:

1) The person asking is a bartender that has helped me, over the decades, get at least 4 or 5 venues.

2) They feel that my rep, which ain't bad in my pond, will help bring in bucks. They also want a disc based host.

I have explained ( despite my anti-MP3 stance :sqrolleyes:) that the odds are no one will be bothering a private club about downloads and the SC stuff ( which they heard about somehow). They don't care. My helper/friend wants me- period.

Unfortunately, she knows my schedule, so I can't say I'm working. It wouldn't matter anyway, because she says I can choose the night.

Let me be somewhat less than subtle. GET ME THE HELL OUT OF THIS!

What do I tell her?

Thanks in advance.....:sqembarrassed:

Just politely say....something like....

"I really would like to take you up on the offer, but right now my plate is full, and I will not be able to take on any more bookings at this time. Now if something changes down the road, I would be willing to discuss options when we cross that bridge."

She should be able to comprehend that you just cannot take on more bookings because your plate is full. Simple as that.

Joe:aside from what has already been offered, if you know someone that you trust, is almost as talented as you and happens to be disc based, you could offer to call that person and see if they are willing to do it.

If not, just stick to your guns.

-James

jclaydon said:
Joe:aside from what has already been offered, if you know someone that you trust, is almost as talented as you and happens to be disc based, you could offer to call that person and see if they are willing to do it.

If not, just stick to your guns.

-James

Thank you James. The problem is ( and I know that I sound like an egotistical jerk here, but it is what it is...) that the combo of disc based AND my local rep here is a bit hard to find. I know a guy that I think is even BETTER than me ( a mentor), and has a rep, but he recently ripped his discs to PC and went digital, so he's out. I know another guy that's very good, and disc based, but just returning to the biz, and doesn't have the rep yet. Sigh.....

Joe, everything you just said in two posts is both honest and logical. This may sound crazy, but how about repeating it? You know....tell the truth?

Just a thought.

Good advice.

I would basically say the same thing.

"Thank you very much for wanting me. You've been great to me over the years. Unfortunately my schedule is full and the time I have off is very precious. I hope you understand".

It does seem very odd to me that a venue would not want someone very good simply because he has switched to a computer. They must have had someone really filling their ear with a load of made up "downsides".

Ironically, I did have a bar owner that we used to work for years ago call me about 6 months ago. He said he was going to hire a DJ, but the guy said he only uses discs. He told me he thought every DJ was now using computers like I was 7 years ago and asked what I thought about a DJ still using discs.

I told him plenty of DJs still use discs and to not worry one bit about what type of media the guy uses. If the guy is good, it doesn't matter at all.

As mentioned just tell them the truth, besides you have the injuries to prove that you need time off which would be unavailable if you took the gig.

Is she the one who will be paying for your services? If she is it would be surprising to me. I assume its someone else who signs the checks. If so, can you talk to that person and explain the pros and cons?

Here is something else to consider:

1) Awhile back I purposely cut back to 5 nights per week, and really don't want to do more.

2) Service organizations- at least in my area- are notorious for being great as one time events, but crappy as regular venues.

If it were a different place that looked like it had potential would you do it?

1) The person asking is a bartender that has helped me, over the decades, get at least 4 or 5 venues.

Have you considered giving it a trial run for old time' sake?

Hank Davidson said:
Joe, everything you just said in two posts is both honest and logical. This may sound crazy, but how about repeating it? You know....tell the truth?

Just a thought.

Amen, Hank Adams. :clap: I couldn't have said it better. :thumbsup:

Hank Davidson said:

Just a thought.

A great post- and believe me I have! Again, the problem is that this lady has done me a lot of good, and wants me- period. A return favor? HELP!

FROM SCOTT:

I would basically say the same thing.

"Thank you very much for wanting me. You've been great to me over the years. Unfortunately my schedule is full and the time I have off is very precious. I hope you understand".
........................................................................................................

Again, this woman has bought me over 50K over the years.... My concience kinda kicks in..

DJ SVO said:
As mentioned just tell them the truth, besides you have the injuries to prove that you need time off which would be unavailable if you took the gig.

OOH! Injuries! THAT may work. What kind should I have??!!

MIXSIRS said:
Is she the one who will be paying for your services? If she is it would be surprising to me. I assume its someone else who signs the checks. If so, can you talk to that person and explain the pros and cons?

Here is something else to consider:

If it were a different place that looked like it had potential would you do it? NO I want the time off.

Have you considered giving it a trial run for old time' sake?
SIGH......yeah. but it's my last resort if I can't get out of it.

Let's see.

She has helped you get at least 4 or 5 venues.
She has put over 50K in your pocket.
She did it as a favor to you.
Did she ask for anything in return over the years?
Did she ask for a cut of that 50K?
She has "offered to pay my standard fee, which is pretty high for a service organization."

And you are willing to risk losing this person as a friend by saying no?

This is more about returning a favor and frienship.
Turn it down and you will lose in the long run.

I'd be there in a heart beat.

Big Dan said:
What about dropping another gig to take this one?

Drop a long running gig to take one that I think won't be as successful ( Service club, remember?)?

I'm nice, not nuts.....:sqlaugh:

spam4us said:
Let's see.

She has helped you get at least 4 or 5 venues.
She has put over 50K in your pocket.
She did it as a favor to you.
Did she ask for anything in return over the years?
Did she ask for a cut of that 50K?
She has "offered to pay my standard fee, which is pretty high for a service organization."

And you are willing to risk losing this person as a friend by saying no?

This is more about returning a favor and frienship.
Turn it down and you will lose in the long run.

I'd be there in a heart beat.

Dam! You sound like me.... Yeah, OK, me too.

Thanks for the input folks, and your time, but Spam is reading my mind, darn it. Gotta do it...:sqrolleyes:

Joe if I had the help this person has given you...
I would be happy to reciprocate.

I would be happy to help this person out even at my cost.

You may even like it.
How good would that be.

Your conscience will also allow you to sleep at night.

Sometimes you have to drive down a dead end so you don't burn a bridge.

If you're trying not to get overloaded, ask if she'll go for once a month or maybe every other week. This might help maintain the interest if it's a small club. Before they folded, the local Moose Lodge used to have a burn your own steak night with karaoke as the entertainment. They found that doing it every other week kept up the interest enough to make it profitable.

Back