What's new

A profitable career or following your dreams?

Being rational or doing what you want?

• Being rational

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Doing what I want

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OrigamiGirl

Emerging Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Of course, sometimes it can be both, and then it's all good. However, most of the time people face the choice - to choose a career path that's more likely to be profitable, or to follow their dreams?
When I was graduating high school two years ago, I had only the faint idea about what I want to study - I knew I wanted to study something related to foreign languages. I was reading lots of articles about what kind of career to choose - they were mostly suggesting Maths/Science/IT related fields. But I was never interested in Maths or Physics. People were trying to scare me by saying that anything other than Science is going to be a tough road. But I took it anyway. Because that's what I wanted.
Two years later I'm not much closer to knowing whether I made a right choice. But I know that studying would be harder and less enjoyable if I decided to study something I'm not interested in. So far I'm happy. But I know it might be hard for me after I graduate college.

What did you do, or what are you going to do? Follow your heart, or be rational and choose a nice, stable and most likely profitable career path?

The sad reality of life is that sometimes you simply cannot have the job that you want, and for me that's likely to be the case. I don't honestly know what I'd like to do, but since I want a family and my own house it's more likely I'll just be working whatever job will pay the best.

I'd like to find a middle-ground between enjoyment and stability, but that's just as unlikely.

If you realise your dream job becomes out of your grasp, you should accept it and try to find something more stable. It's sad, but it happens.

Profit. If you do what you love for a career, and are under constant pressure to succeed, you will probably grow to hate it.

In a world like this, I'd have to say a profitable career is the better choice. I can always do what I am passionate about as a hobby. Maybe eventually I will get enough money from my job to be able to pursue my hobby even further.

I say profitable career. I hate to be a downer, but dream jobs are simply just that, dreams. They're not guaranteed to come true, no matter how hard you try. It's just reality. If you can find something you don't hate that pays well, that's just as good.

Back