What's new

Ad block: do you use it?

cpvr

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
Ad block is an add on for Firefox and Chrome that blocks out advertisements you see online, so do you use ad block?

How long have you been using it for? As a webmaster, how do you feel about people that use ad block?

I love my ad blocker; when going on gaming sites they pop up a lot (not on GamingIsland by the way) and its very annoying.

I dont use it, I dont know why but I just don't like them. Sometimes they make your browser slow, and can block some important things.

I don't I see no point in it. All they do is prevent a site from surviving and slows the user down. And since I don't use them nobody else should (at least when on my site)

I don't I see no point in it. All they do is prevent a site from surviving and slows the user down. And since I don't use them nobody else should (at least when on my site)

Some ads displayed can do the opposite (slow the site down & display inappropriate ads, etc.) which is why many people use it these days. There are also many different ways that sites can survive without displaying advertisements too...

Some ads displayed can do the opposite (slow the site down & display inappropriate ads, etc.) which is why many people use it these days. There are also many different ways that sites can survive without displaying advertisements too...
Yea there can be many reasons why people use adblock, some parents install it on their computer because of their children, as Ashley mentioned some ads show inappropriate content.

I have the adblock plug in for my daughter's computer, which happens to be my back up computer. She plays the free online games and sometimes they pop up the annoying video banner ads that play constantly in the background even while the game is going. The two sounds often conflict.

It would be fine if they played the ad once upon entry into the site. But, the ads reload, most likely cause they are iframed from another site and play again.

After the fifth time hearing a video ad for how wonderful Lysol is you wonder just how much you really need to support these sites.

I have the adblock plug in for my daughter's computer, which happens to be my back up computer. She plays the free online games and sometimes they pop up the annoying video banner ads that play constantly in the background even while the game is going. The two sounds often conflict.

It would be fine if they played the ad once upon entry into the site. But, the ads reload, most likely cause they are iframed from another site and play again.

After the fifth time hearing a video ad for how wonderful Lysol is you wonder just how much you really need to support these sites.

Bigger sites tend to start being greedy and place any ads possible, a prime example is freeforums.org as they claim that they can't remove the registration ads cos it'll mean that the network would have to go paid BUT a slightly smaller host, ProphpBB manages to survive on little green Infolinks ads to guests, and selling their own Premium & Advanced Hosting

Tell me about it, I know exactly what you are talking about, those ads are very annoying.

I use it for not only annoying ads but images as well. never know when some idiot might post a flashy avatar that might give you a seizure.

I do have it installed. If I visit a site regularly then it will get whitelisted though.

I don't use adblock. I make money from online advertising and so something doesn't feel right about blocking other people's ads.

I do, however, block flash. My reasoning is two-fold. First, flash ads are extremely obnoxious and do little but get in the way (most non-flash ads are pretty easy to ignore). Second, flash is resource intensive - no need to slow down my browsing or lessen my battery life for a few annoying ads. And if I need to see something that is flash-based, it's only a click away.

Yes, I run Adblock here but it's disabled on most sites I frequent. It's more of a security thing for me but the ads can get annoying especially when trying to read news.

Like Justin, I also run Flash block mostly because Flash sucks down RAM like nobody's business.

I use ad-block and a flash blocker for firefox on all websites just because I like the web to load fast. :thumbsup:

I have no problem supporting the sites I visit by viewing their ads. I mean if its that annoying to you, simply block the ads in your host file on your computer. But, most times I just allow the ads because its how some sites stay afloat. And being a fellow webmaster, I see no problem with it. I would hate for someone to block my ads if they use my site frequently.

I have no problem supporting the sites I visit by viewing their ads. I mean if its that annoying to you, simply block the ads in your host file on your computer. But, most times I just allow the ads because its how some sites stay afloat. And being a fellow webmaster, I see no problem with it. I would hate for someone to block my ads if they use my site frequently.
Neither do I. The problem I see with some ad companies is the noise coming from certain ads. I know Adsense doesn't have ads that make noise, but I could be wrong. But ads that get in my way of browsing (slowing down the page), I tend to block them.

I love my ad blocker; when going on gaming sites they pop up a lot (not on GamingIsland by the way) and its very annoying.

And really when you have advertisements on your own websites, you should block them so that you don't accidentally click them or anything, ya know?

I use the Ad Blocker for Chrome. Love it! :love:

Back