What's new

And I thought my allergies were bad - help needed

Lex lives on peanut butter - is the alternative to peanut butter almond butter? Is there anything else (my mind is drawing a blank on other peanut butter alternatives)?

I was going to pick up some Biscoff cookies tonight, but found some Biscoff spread instead. I had never seen it before, but I love the cookies, so I thought I would give it a try. I had some on an english ****in, and it tasted just like the cookies. It seems a little sweet, but it may be an alternative to peanut butter. It said vegan friendly on the jar. It also said great with jam or jelly and on apples.

http://www.amazon.com/Roads-End-Organics-Chreese-Organic/dp/B000LKXL0K/

51vdruh8i4L._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Roads-End-Organics-Chreese®-6-5-Ounce/dp/B000LKZEO6

51QPEY60yqL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

OK - a little poorer but breakfasts, lunches and snacks are good for the week.

Stopped at two Aldi's and picked up:
  • bananas
  • honeydew
  • red pears
  • cantaloupe
  • strawberries
plus I already had three kinds of apples and bartlett pears at home. Thank god for the $5 coupon.

Went to whole foods and bought:
  • pure maple syrup (OUCH!)
  • soy nut butter (he tested negative for soy allergies, so being cautious like Valerie suggested)
  • some of the pasta Ennui suggested
  • vegan butter (expensive, but tastes good)

I've made the bread as a couple of folks suggested and some of that has been made into French Toast, plus I made the pancakes Ennui found.

So he can choose from coconut nut milk & Raisin Bran, pancakes & syrup or french toast & syrup for breakfast and soy butter sandwiches or pasta for lunch. Can also choose his fruit with each, plus what he'd like at snack time.

I have natural apple juice, so he can choose between that or water. :phew:

Turkey day and its leftovers make the end of the week easy.

Now to figure out dinners. Then to plan the next three weeks. :gah:

Next question - I can buy "dairy" products that aren't made from cows milk, yes? Like a goat cheese? Any suggestions?

My 10 yo has a dairy allergy, and no. If he is allergic to the proteins in the milk (like casein and whey) they are also present in goat's milk. I'd stick with almond, soy, rice milk.

Trader Joe's has a nice soy yogurt, which is 24 oz organic vanilla for $2.50 -- as well as a non-dairy "cream cheese" spread called "this is not a tub of cream cheese." (I believe it's soy and veggie oil based, don't have one in the house right now, so check the ingredients for his other allergens.)

Some, but not all, of the gluten free stuff is also dairy free. For example Van's waffles (and they often have coupons on their FB page) has a dairy free/gluten free variety -- I just went and checked the french toast sticks in my freezer and they have soy, but don't appear to contain corn.

I'd also suggest not buying too much of anything til you find out what he likes. My guy was diagnosed about a year ago and can't stand any of the non-dairy cheese alternatives, for instance (which I don't blame him), so I ended up having to toss some of the stuff I initially bought, but his friend who grew up eating non-dairy since about 18 months doesn't know anything else and thinks they are all great.

Oh, and some of the non-specialty margarines are dairy free -- most contain whey, but Best Life Buttery Spread for instance is all veggie and soy (as well as a bunch of other who knows what they are ingredients, so again check).

Anyone ever encountered a waffle or pancake recipe that doesn't require milk?

You can make any of the (non-dairy) pancake mixes with non-dairy milk. We have wheat free/dairy free pancakes every weekend and usually use vanilla soy, and they turn out fine.

(Sorry for all the responses in a row... reading backwards!)

Also watch groupon and livingsocial for things like half price gift certificates to abe's market and other online specialty stores, then wait til they have a sale + free shipping promo to redeem.

Don't know know what is in it (or not in it), but my cousin that has the dairy/egg allergy can eat Fleishman's light. That is the only butter his mom buys.

I think the Bestlife Buttery Spread will be OK - will go on the hunt for some. Can't check the Fleishman's light online - they say check the packaging for ingredients.

I asked at Whole Foods today about the cheese and they gave the same answer as you. Need to know exactly what he is allergic to.

Thanks for the Van's suggestion. The few I checked are sweetened with pineapple juice so that would be a no go. I'll email the company to see if any of their products will work for us.

(Now it is my turn to be responding backwards).

I'll have to contact Delight Soy as well. Products look interesting, but I couldn't find exact ingredients.

For the homemade mac 'n cheese Barb suggested - I know what all the ingredients are, except "nutritional yeast". From reading it looks like this is just used as a cheese substitute. Seems like it should be an interesting thing to try out. This site has a recipe for almond "Parmesan" and some other dishes that look like they'd fit Lex's needs (and palate) nicely.

I did print out some West Soy, so I'll be hoping to find some of those too.

So that's where I'm at for tasks completed and planning thus far.

Thanks again everyone for your help. This weekend was very stressful, but the suggestions made the trip to Whole Foods relatively simple and the plan for the week came together smoothly.

Back