What's new

Andrea Yate's verdict

mustangkittycat

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Not guilty by reason of insanity.

(7/26/06 - HOUSTON) - Andrea Yates has been found not guilty by reason of insanity in her children's bathtub drowning deaths.
Attorneys were called back to the courtroom for the verdict to be read shortly before noon.

The jury had spent 11 hours Monday and Tuesday trying to determine if Yates was legally insane. Wednesday morning, they reviewed the state's definition of insanity and then asked to see a family photo and candid pictures of the five smiling youngsters. After about an hour of deliberations, they said they had reached a verdict.

In Yates' first murder trial, in 2002, the jury deliberated about four hours before finding her guilty. That conviction was overturned on appeal.
In both trials, Yates, 42, pleaded innocent by reason of insanity. Under Texas law, a person can be found insane if, because of a severe mental illness, he or she does not know the crime is wrong.
The jury earlier asked to review the videotape of Yates' July 2001 evaluation by Dr. Phillip Resnick, a forensic psychiatrist who testified for the defense that she did not know killing the children was wrong because she was trying to save them from hell.
Resnick told jurors that Yates was in a delusional state and believed 6-month-old Mary, 2-year-old Luke, 3-year-old Paul, 5-year-old John and 7-year-old Noah would grow up to be criminals because she had ruined them.
:cussing:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=4401721

And so they should!

No one in their "right" mind would harm their children. Ms. Yates was truly insane when she did such an horrendous thing.

One could never begin to imagine what she suffers every day when she thinks about her children and how she was responsible for their deaths.
Insane or not -they are still not among the living and Ms. Yates has to live with that horror..

While not knowing all the details of the case, but this one could be legitimate "insanity" case. Although she probably not be released to the public any time soon since she will probably be confined to a psychiatric hospital.

Either way its a sad story.

Other's would disagree. There is no way I could off my kids and not know it's wrong especially when you have to chase one down and drag him to the tub kicking and screaming.

Plus it wasn't the first time she tried it. I hope they charge her with the other two and someone has the balls to sentence her to death.

She needs your prayers; not your curses.

No one could even begin to explain her actions. Yes it was terribly wrong to massacre those children, however, an insane person is not responsible for his/her actions.

How many fathers do the same thing and thena re convicted anyway?

This is a prime example of the female double standard.

The **** should fry.

I will curse her if I want. The only ones that needed prayers were the babies.

My mother has the same things as Andrea, she has even seen the same doctors, she is on the same medications she is also married to someone who ignores her mental state like Rusty did most of the time and she never once hurt one of us or anyone else. She has been this way for a long time and there have been many times where she tried to kill herself and there have been many times that she was in the 'zombie' state that Andrea went through, but NEVER once did she try to hurt someone else. She knew she was a bad mother and she never tried killing us for her mistakes.

Slack with Me said:
How many fathers do the same thing and thena re convicted anyway?

This is a prime example of the female double standard.

The **** should fry.

Exactly! It is a complete double standard. If a man can be put to death for murdering his one child then a woman should be put to death for murdering FIVE of her children.

I don't recall saying you couldn't curse her. Curse away!

Ms. Yates is a victim. It was apparent that she was suffering from psychotic episodes and her cries for help were basically overlooked by her husband and her doctors. http://crime.about.com/od/current/p/andreayates.htm

Sure there are mothers out there who are as just as "mental" as Ms. Yates, and no, not all of them murder their off spring. Some children of mothers who are psychotic suffer emotionally and physically when their parent is unable to separate fact from fantasy.

All in all it is sad and pathetic that innocent children must suffer.

Considering she was a nurse and even worked in places where she was exposed to people with those symptoms it's easy for her to pretend to be that way and play the victim card.

Hmmm slack, perhaps we can compare notes sometime. LOL

No really though, I can't believe she has made it this long without being sniped. She has waaaaay to much protection for someone who doesn't deserve it.

mustangkittycat said:
Not guilty by reason of insanity.

(7/26/06 - HOUSTON) - Andrea Yates has been found not guilty by reason of insanity in her children's bathtub drowning deaths.
Attorneys were called back to the courtroom for the verdict to be read shortly before noon.

The jury had spent 11 hours Monday and Tuesday trying to determine if Yates was legally insane. Wednesday morning, they reviewed the state's definition of insanity and then asked to see a family photo and candid pictures of the five smiling youngsters. After about an hour of deliberations, they said they had reached a verdict.

In Yates' first murder trial, in 2002, the jury deliberated about four hours before finding her guilty. That conviction was overturned on appeal.
In both trials, Yates, 42, pleaded innocent by reason of insanity. Under Texas law, a person can be found insane if, because of a severe mental illness, he or she does not know the crime is wrong.
The jury earlier asked to review the videotape of Yates' July 2001 evaluation by Dr. Phillip Resnick, a forensic psychiatrist who testified for the defense that she did not know killing the children was wrong because she was trying to save them from hell.
Resnick told jurors that Yates was in a delusional state and believed 6-month-old Mary, 2-year-old Luke, 3-year-old Paul, 5-year-old John and 7-year-old Noah would grow up to be criminals because she had ruined them.
:cussing:

That's bullshit, dump her **** in jail. If it was a man he would get the chair but she gets a slap on the wrist. Whats with that?

Chrisl0 said:

That's bullshit, dump her **** in jail. If it was a man he would get the chair but she gets a slap on the wrist. Whats with that?

That's one of the biggest problems I have with this. Besides the fact she killed 5 helpess children who trusted her. She should be on death row.

I do believe that the jurors are more qualified then we are to pass judgment. I am sure there is more to the story then what the public is privy to hearing.

I am sure she suffers daily. Killing her would be one way of putting her out of her torture, I suppose. I would have thought that those who are against her would want to see her suffer for years to come. Death is the easy way out.

I think they are going easy on her because she is a female. I think people need to look at people equally. They should say she can be as evil as a man and vice versa.

ANGLOIRISH said:
I do believe that the jurors are more qualified then we are to pass judgment. I am sure there is more to the story then what the public is privy to hearing.

I am sure she suffers daily. Killing her would be one way of putting her out of her torture, I suppose. I would have thought that those who are against her would want to see her suffer for years to come. Death is the easy way out.

Uh jurors are made up of regular people just like us. The defense was just lucky enough to get a bunch of bleeding hearts up there. They obviously weren't bleeding for the kids.

And yes a murderer is a murderer no matter if they are male or female or their victims were their babies or prostitutes or if they killed 1 or 1,000 and they should be punished accordingly.

And maybe if we were on the juror we would hear the whole story and be better able to decide her fate.

Her whole life has been on the table from day one. I have read all the books and seen all the records they allow to be public. Those books are direct accounts written from her interviews, her medical files, the crime scene, her husbands accounts, her parents and Rusty's family. The jury didn't see anything that we haven't already seen or heard.

Back