What's new

Antenna vs. Cable

TripleC

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Cable is getting so expensive... has anyone replaced cable with an
antenna ?

If so, how do you like it ? what channels are you getting ? etc.

We have 1 TV with just and antenna - we get 4 channels only abc, nbc, cbs and fox . . . it sucks

Have you called the cable company and told them you want to disconnect and go to just having an antenna, they are known for lowering your price dramatically if you call

i wish i could go to an antenna but we get no tv without some kid of service my bill through time warner (i had tv,internet and phone ) was costing me $250 every month or more i decided to go with dish network and cricket broadband...i got magic jack(piece of ****) but my cable is now $60 internet $40 so i think that is a great price since nobody else comes out here to the never never land...lmao

Call your provider. I found out my provider (Brighthouse) was offering a promotion for new costumers that was 40.00 less than I was paying for cable+internet+phone. It took me 5 minutes on the phone, i said I was canceling the service and the representative said "we will extend the offer to you for a year". Done. Fast.

We recently said goodbye to Dish network and put up an antennae. At first we had a bit of trouble getting certain channels, but we kept adjusting it, got the antennae a little higher and moved it to the back of the house (away from the power lines). We now get approx. 30+ channels. If you check out antennaeweb.org, they tell you what channels you can get in your area and which antennae to look for. We went to radio shack after a little research and bought one for $80.00 and after about a week of tweeking it (hubby on ladder me in house using cell phone) we are very happy with our decision. We are about 35miles from Chicago and our antennae says it is good for up to 70miles. My hubby was amazed with the picture quality we get with over the air tv and it has an info button to see what is on. We only needed 1 digital receiver since most of our tv's were already digital ready. We have 2 kids 7 & 2 and thought they would go crazy w/out TV, but there is actually an all day cartoon channel that makes them happy. We also picked up Netflix for $8.99 a month so we can watch movies/tv-shows instantly using our PS3 (or Wii). By doing this we are now saving almost $100 a month and are spending more quality time together instead of spacing out on the tv. It's amazing the full episode shows you can watch on the computer via tv network websites. It took a little getting used to and a little work, but I'm glad we did it. There is life after cable/satelite, but I couldn't live without my internet!!

We recently said goodbye to Dish network and put up an antennae. At first we had a bit of trouble getting certain channels, but we kept adjusting it, got the antennae a little higher and moved it to the back of the house (away from the power lines). We now get approx. 30+ channels. If you check out antennaeweb.org, they tell you what channels you can get in your area and which antennae to look for. We went to radio shack after a little research and bought one for $80.00 and after about a week of tweeking it (hubby on ladder me in house using cell phone) we are very happy with our decision. We are about 35miles from Chicago and our antennae says it is good for up to 70miles. My hubby was amazed with the picture quality we get with over the air tv and it has an info button to see what is on. We only needed 1 digital receiver since most of our tv's were already digital ready. We have 2 kids 7 & 2 and thought they would go crazy w/out TV, but there is actually an all day cartoon channel that makes them happy. We also picked up Netflix for $8.99 a month so we can watch movies/tv-shows instantly using our PS3 (or Wii). By doing this we are now saving almost $100 a month and are spending more quality time together instead of spacing out on the tv. It's amazing the full episode shows you can watch on the computer via tv network websites. It took a little getting used to and a little work, but I'm glad we did it. There is life after cable/satelite, but I couldn't live without my internet!!

We do the same thing. But never had cable in the first place.

Called cable company 4 times in the past 2 months... they basically told me to go scratch. I have returned 2 of the 4 digital boxes and cut all the movie channels out and now we stream movies through NetFlix for $7.99 a month and get 1 DVD at a time through the mail. Just doing this saves us over $40.00 a month!

Thanks for all the info !! I am going to research an antenna to see what
I can find out. We live in Evergreen Park, Il so I am hoping we should
get decent reception and channels (we are on the far south side of Chicago )

I have Direct tv & love it. I get all channels except adult & pay $104 a month. It's so worth it. I keep calling them & telling them i'm going to switch & they always offer upgrades/price breaks etc. We've been a customer since 1998 & love them.

we bought an antenna at ACE and we get pbs, abc, fox, nbc, cbs which is more than we can watch :lol: our big screen TV is hooked up to our computers so we can watch hulu or crackle if we're in the mood to watch complete season of Grey's or other canned shows.

I checked the antennaeweb website. According to it, I should get 5 stations, some of which are the same stations, just in different areas.

I get 3 ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, NBC, 3 PBS and sometimes a few others. Most of the time that is fine, but I would love a 24 hour news station. I'm thinking about getting Netflix, I'd like the option to watch a few movies.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

With the switch to DTV, I've lost the RI PBS station. But I've gained so many more. PBS Boston now broadcasts 4 different subchannels.

Two stations, one in Boston & one in RI, now carry RTV network on a subchannel.

One station runs THIS-tv on a subchannel.

Another carries ION-tv on 4 subchannels.

BTW, the best tv guide I've found is the completely customizable Titan TV:
http://www.titantv.com/default.aspx
It lets me list all of the stations I can pick up from both Boston and Providence.

http://www.myretrotv.com/
http://www.thistv.com/
http://www.iontelevision.com/

Back