What's new

any deals on Northface anywhere??

focadima

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
Looking for a friend--i would never spend that kind of $$$$ LOL

there is an outlet in lakeside plaza south of kenosha on I-94. never been.

If someone could explain the whole Northface thing, I'd appreciate it. Right now I'm wearing a very NF-looking fleece that I got as a gift from someone who bought it for like $15 at that "T" store I don't like (she told me because she knows I like a deal, lol.) At the time the cashier said, "I didn't know we sold Northface."

Um, you don't. But you can't tell the difference because it's the same flipping thing - minus the embroidery. The embroidery that everyone else <cough>lemming<cough> is wearing. And they don't look any warmer than I do in mine.

So really, what's up with $90 fleece jackets?

Sports Authority carries Northface and they usually have coupons in the paper.

Try REI-outlet.com. That's where I get a lot of our gear; you just have to be patient and wait for the right product at the right price. ship-to-store for free, or free shipping if you spend over $75 and are a member (lifetime membership costs $20, don't stone me).

You or your friend can also set an alert at SlickDeals to send you a notification every time someone posts a deal with the words "North Face" in it if they have to have that brand.

If someone could explain the whole Northface thing, I'd appreciate it. Right now I'm wearing a very NF-looking fleece that I got as a gift from someone who bought it for like $15 at that "T" store I don't like (she told me because she knows I like a deal, lol.) At the time the cashier said, "I didn't know we sold Northface."

Um, you don't. But you can't tell the difference because it's the same flipping thing - minus the embroidery. The embroidery that everyone else <cough>lemming<cough> is wearing. And they don't look any warmer than I do in mine.

Ok, missy, I'll explain it. My DH and I hike, backpack, camp, canoe and cross-country ski. A lot. We use our gear a lot and we're hard on it and it's really a major bummer when your pants rip when you sit on a rock after you've hiked to the summit of a 14,000' peak and now you have (a reallly breezy) hike back down with your pink panties showing to the mountain goats, or your gear breaks when you're 20 miles from a road. We've learned from experience to pay for better quality gear. We've used friends' gear, and we've led groups of kids on wilderness trips, so we've been exposed to a lot of different brands, and there really is a difference in features and performance.

Some people are just paying for the name, unfortunately.. they'll never understand why the product they're getting is technically superior. Kinda like buying an automatic transmission Corvette just because you've heard it's great but you don't get why :( We don't wear our spendy Thorlo hiking socks around the house because we don't want to wear them out because they're expensive to replace.

Also, I cut the labels off most of my equipment (and the handles off toothbrushes, don't get me started...). labels are just added weight that doesn't contribute anything to performance. When you're carrying a 20 - 30 pound pack over 50 miles, every ounce counts.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03/11/87-outdoor-performance-clothes/

Ok, missy, I'll explain it. My DH and I hike, backpack, camp, canoe and cross-country ski. A lot. We use our gear a lot and we're hard on it and it's really a major bummer when your pants rip when you sit on a rock after you've hiked to the summit of a 14,000' peak and now you have (a reallly breezy) hike back down with your pink panties showing to the mountain goats, or your gear breaks when you're 20 miles from a road. We've learned from experience to pay for better quality gear. We've used friends' gear, and we've led groups of kids on wilderness trips, so we've been exposed to a lot of different brands, and there really is a difference in features and performance.

Some people are just paying for the name, unfortunately.. they'll never understand why the product they're getting is technically superior. Kinda like buying an automatic transmission Corvette just because you've heard it's great but you don't get why :( We don't wear our spendy Thorlo hiking socks around the house because we don't want to wear them out because they're expensive to replace.

Also, I cut the labels off most of my equipment (and the handles off toothbrushes, don't get me started...). labels are just added weight that doesn't contribute anything to performance. When you're carrying a 20 - 30 pound pack over 50 miles, every ounce counts.

Well oooookay then. You're hard-core and use it 'cause you think it's better. Gotcha. Methinks you're in the minority though, when I see peeps who are clearly not outdoorsy wearing the "gear" y'know? I've literally been stopped in my tracks, laughing-on-the-inside (and inside only, I hope) at chicks wearing the "uniform." Got their Uggs and their matching Northface jackets, same goofy sunglasses, etc. :rolleyes: You know the type I mean, I'm sure.

BTW, those socks ARE nice. ;)

So, sorry if I offended, but you could have just linked like:

'cause THIS is more along the lines of what I was thinking.

How did I not know this site before? :lol:

So KG - when's the next excursion and where do we sign up? I think a first-hand hike/ski trip is in order as I'm having a hard time imagining your DH in his pink panties.

Well oooookay then. You're hard-core and use it 'cause you think it's better. Gotcha. Methinks you're in the minority though, when I see peeps who are clearly not outdoorsy wearing the "gear" y'know? I've literally been stopped in my tracks, laughing-on-the-inside (and inside only, I hope) at chicks wearing the "uniform." Got their Uggs and their matching Northface jackets, same goofy sunglasses, etc. :rolleyes: You know the type I mean, I'm sure.

BTW, those socks ARE nice. ;)

So, sorry if I offended, but you could have just linked like:

'cause THIS is more along the lines of what I was thinking.

How did I not know this site before? :lol:

So KG - when's the next excursion and where do we sign up? I think a first-hand hike/ski trip is in order as I'm having a hard time imagining your DH in his pink panties.

Just another Fad. My kids love them. I don't think they are very flattering, but, whatever. My mom probably hated my Z Cavariccis!! lol

I think their things are a better quality too, so we buy their gear when we can. I'm not buying for labels, I'm buying what works best and will last. I can't say everything they make may be better quality or worth what it costs but the few things we have are.

Take tents for example - our small 3 person REI Mountaineering tent cost a small fortune, BUT it's made of rip-stop nylon which is a big deal with tents. If it were to get a small rip it can be repaired pretty easily as it won't get any bigger. We bought a bigger 'family' tent that was a cheaper brand. The dog decided he wanted out of the tent and didn't have time for us to unzip the door, so he ran right through it. It tore at the top of the door and went all the way up to the roof. The same with DH's winter coat and our rain pants, which are North Face. They're made from the same rip-stop fabric and that just costs more. DH got a small tear in his coat (we're hard on things, can you tell? :giggles:) that I was able to patch easily. Do I care what brand it is? No, just so they're made with that material and unfortunately labels like North Face, REI and sometimes Columbia are the only ones who use that. While it is expensive fabric, I think a lot of their things are over priced just because of their label.

I have a regular fleece from Kohl's and one from North Face, the NF fleece is much thicker and more dense. It has less 'give' to it, so it doesn't stretch like my Kohl's one. To me the NF is warmer because of this. Now if my child wanted a fleece to go walking around in, I'd get one at Kohl's. If we were going camping and it was going to be really cold, I'd buy a NF one.

:)

Well oooookay then. You're hard-core and use it 'cause you think it's better. Gotcha. Methinks you're in the minority though, when I see peeps who are clearly not outdoorsy wearing the "gear" y'know? I've literally been stopped in my tracks, laughing-on-the-inside (and inside only, I hope) at chicks wearing the "uniform." Got their Uggs and their matching Northface jackets, same goofy sunglasses, etc. You know the type I mean, I'm sure.

you forgot the coach/or D and B purse--LOL

thats the "uniform" at my kids high school...LOL

all the girls ( or guys) that I know that wear them ( including my 5 year old nephew) are not hiking to a 14,000 foot peak--gosh cant imagine them walking that much unless it was teh mall

but I digress i was just trying to help a friend

okay I can understand the warmer thing--
so I say charge $50 instead of the $25 at Target or walmart etc...

I used to buy Guess Jeans @ thrift shops just to get that piece of triangle shaped cloth off the back pocket...then I'd sew it on a pair of cheap jeans...DH knew, but no one else in school did...

I often wonder why kids in warm urban climates need to wear Carhartts...or Rocky boots

I actually had a northface and thought the same thing, but I got it as a gift and LOVED it. It got stolen a and Ii have bought 2 imiatations - both nice, both look identical NOT EVEN close to the WARMTH! - Seriously. It always amazed em I could wear it in really cold weather and not be cold and the air didn't go through it - not to mention they hold up FOREVER in the wash.

my ds-18 who want NOTHING to do with a NF

said teh same thing..They really are warm mom

That list is hilarious!! Thanks for the laugh :)

The kids are almost forced to wear something like this to keep warm since their school lockers are so small. My high school DS has one that you could fit 3 textbooks across. Really! Anyway, no puffy coats because they don't fit in your locker, so you need something thinner and warm. I've tried the cheaper versions and they aren't as warm.

Luckily I have a great handmedown system!

wait!! YOUR kids WEAR coats to school??--amazing--LOL--mine dont--mine wear a light school uniform approved ( ie-a track jacket from school sports team..or my dd wears a fleece with school logo) I never see the kids at their school with "real" coats on

Back