What's new

any good cheap cell phone deals?

notsyrup

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
my mom needs one just for occasional use. What do you think is the best? don't want the kind that expires even if you don't use minutes.

you can get a trac phone and get minutes cheap with codes--they last different amounts of time depending on your pans/coupons/deals but we had them for my kids and it was pretty easy to keep up with the minutes ( I usually got email reminders)

BUT cant you add her to your plan cheaply??

We use Tmobile prepaid, but the minutes do expire after a year (once you pay $100 in), but if you add even just $10, it would renew for another year .

I have also heard good things about Tracfone for light users.

We are heavy users for Tmobile, love their prepaid 4G, I get to use an iphone for $30 a month!

We use Tmobile prepaid, but the minutes do expire after a year (once you pay $100 in), but if you add even just $10, it would renew for another year .

I have also heard good things about Tracfone for light users.

We are heavy users for Tmobile, love their prepaid 4G, I get to use an iphone for $30 a month!

Tell me more please. I'm pretty much the last person on earth under 50 without a cell phone. (Thanks to Barb for leaving me stranded. :giggles:)

In very simple terms please - how would I do this?

Thanks!

This is a list of the Monthly 4G options from Tmobile (here)

DH and I both have the Talk + Text 1500 plan, which includes 30 MB of data and 1500 talking minutes or texts per month, combined. It costs $30 flat. No overage fears for me, because once I use up my data its gone, and it wont let you go over unless you request more (and pay for it).

We got 3G iphones from craigslist. My husband knows how to unlock them but you can buy them unlocked. I think they were about $150 each.

Then you just put in the SIM card you get from Tmobile.

But, if you picked a phone that is already available from Tmobile, like an Android, you could buy it from Craigslist - or maybe a friend with an old phone - and still use it on this plan. I find it to be very reasonable for my uses.

Thanks for the info! I'm looking at that link now and kinda like the unlimited text/web plus 100 minutes for $30/month. It's unlikely I'd use anywhere near 100 minutes a month so having the web while I'm out shopping would be nice.

I know I've said this for at least the past two years but I'm thinking Santa-Me might be getting a cell phone for Christmas.

I'll have to look into where and how to get the phone itself.

I don't know if states are different, but one way that the prepaid save you money is that, for reasons I dont' understand, there are minimal taxes, and no FCC fees and other interchange fees that I got charged when I had a monthly plan contract.

I love not having a contract.

www.safelink.com

They will provide a free phone and 250 monthly minutes for most households. Their income limits are quite high.

Their site is down right now but check back later.

Thanks for the info! I'm looking at that link now and kinda like the unlimited text/web plus 100 minutes for $30/month. It's unlikely I'd use anywhere near 100 minutes a month so having the web while I'm out shopping would be nice.

I know I've said this for at least the past two years but I'm thinking Santa-Me might be getting a cell phone for Christmas.

I'll have to look into where and how to get the phone itself.

Joan joining us on the dark side? :faint:

My MIL uses her phone for minutes a month literally, we just added heer to our plan for $8.20 a month and got her a free phone too, but did require a contract.

Joan joining us on the dark side? :faint:

I dunno. I've thought about it a few times but end up getting bogged down in all the possible plans/phones etc and end up just saying "why bother." We'll see if this time will be different.

I have been using tracfone for yrs. w/DH and the phones are super cheap and work fine for light use...Good luck!

DS11 and I both use tracfones too. It is cheap and good for basic needs.

my mom needs one just for occasional use. What do you think is the best? don't want the kind that expires even if you don't use minutes.

Hi you can better buy locked phone from online stores like ebay ,amazon and so on .Since you need phone for occasional use you can better unlock your phone because only unlocked phones can be used with any GSM sim in any countries.You can get your phone unlocked using online providers like Mobile-Unlocker.com here they render unlock code for all mobile models .I usually use unlocked phone while traveling outside.

Back