What's new

Anyone else into case modding?

G

I just ordered a bunch of stuff for a new project, and was curious if anyone else here was into modding as well?

I love doing this sorta stuff, just barely have time lately...

I've just done a few mid-level stuff.. I've mostly been using Inwin cases, but i want to try others.. I've done a blowhole, have a greenlight/window combo and put in a few various cooling solutions to keep things down since it gets really hot during the summer on the floor my computer is on... Like I said, nothing too fancy. :D

I'd love to see a detailed report on your next project!

I've done more along the lines of modding the interior of the case.
Cable rounding, looming wires, adding fan mounts, etc.

Eventually, I'd like to bust out the saws, paints, and sanders, and really lay into a case, but like Alien, I just lack the time to devote to it.
Someday...

I've made my own rounded cables, but that's about it so far. :)

When I'm about to pack up my computer equipment, I'll probably snap a few shots of it before I box it up. If I can, I'll post the pics of some of my interior work. I'm actually quite pleased at the way much of it came out. Looks very clean.

I have been saying to myself since, um .. this time last year, that I am going to do some modding, but I never found both the time and the monetary resources at the same time. :)

It really doesn't require much money. The tools aren't pricey to start off with, and most of the mods can be done with stuff laying around a standard toolbench. Jigsaws, files, etc. are common items that should be in most households.

The only money it would require is money to replace a case that falls victim to a botched mod job. Of course, as you do more of them, that need would diminish significantly. ;)

I wll definitely show pics. So far all Ive gotten is some miscellaneous stuff. (Spelled that wrong lol).

Here is all I ordered and waiting for.

new case
window kit
etch for window
1 cold cathode green
3 120mm fans
1 black light
baybus
yellow tubing that glows with black light
and a cd rom with a window on top.

I'm not one for the whole neon lighting inside the case look.
Personally, I much prefer the look of stragetically placed EL lights.

But that's the great thing about case modding... it's all about the preferences, the imagination, and the capabilities of the individual to make their vision into reality. :)

I like them myself. The blacklight is for when i want it all to shown, and the cathode is for when I want it to just glow green. Tomorrow the window kit should arrive, and the rest soon after. Thats the only thing I hate about buying online........the waiting.

Its really that cheap Dan? Well, maybe thats a project for a wet weekend over the winer then .. :)

i put a sticker on mine. it says "oops, i went to hell" and has a little girl with a HUGE head surrounded by flames. but that's about it. :lol:
i might be more into it if my case weren't hidden in a corner of my room. but lights sound pretty fun, and i have a translucent case so i think i may be inspired...

The only mods on my case are a Jamaican flag with a weed leaf layed over it .. and a sticker of sigmund freund, the infamous 'whats on a mans mind' one

I love it! Heres my PC:

mypc.jpg

It has a Green neon light in it. I have since added a 120mm blowhole at the top to push the hot air out. I hand cut the Snoopy and woodstock stickers that you see on it. Cables are all rounded, window mod, etc...

oh ace! that is marvelous! i am going to make certain to show my mom that! (she is a major snoopy fan, not a hardcore geek :lol: )

Ace: Nice mod. As opposed to handles though, I'd prefer one of Thinkgeek's Gear Grip pro....
The extent of my PC mods, extent out to a clear window, with a red backlight with some peace runes etched in different languages down one side, and two hotswap drivebays. (Some mates have them as well. Much usefulness.)

Im becoming tempted, very tempted. I would love to try some of this stuff when I make a bit of cash. Is it hard to do, or fairly easy. I want a light in my computer and better cooling. I also wouldnt mind that window thing with a nice design on the side.

Whoah, thats nice .. very clean looking Ace .. I am taking notes .. :)

Prox> Not that hard, provided you have the right tools.
Just cutting a case window only requires a saw, file, and the plexiglass and adhesive. Many folks prefer using a Dremel because changing bits allows you to cut and file with the same tool. All you have to change is bits.

For the most part, minor mistakes are easy to cover up. Big ones might require that you scrap the case and start over with a new one. From that aspect, it could be expensive.

Beyond that, there's a ton of stuff you can do. The window mod itself has become rather overdone. The ones that are nice are the ones where people really show their imagination and creativity.
Things like custom paint jobs, irregular window shapes, etc. Those are the cool mods.

Check out the Cow Case at http://www.fast-mhz.com/casemods/index02.shtml. Notice the window cut on the side of the case. Very cool.

The trick is to make them both stylish and functional. Make the mod conducive to getting extra performance out of the PC.

Back