What's new

Appliances- how long are yours lasting?

Peacock76

Peak Forum Legend
PF Member
Reaction score
We remodeled our kitchen in 2007, so our appliances are about 5 years old. It seems like years ago you could expect to get 20 years out of a range, fridge, dishwasher, etc.

I'm wondering because part of our oven just popped out of the ceiling of the oven (I don't know what the part is, but I think it has something to do with the fan,) our microwave no longer rotates and the dishwasher racks have parts that break off all the time, so some of the "arm thingy/cup holder things" don't stay up anymore.

We bought "high end" appliances, so I am not happy that they seem to be falling apart. IMO, an expensive microwave should rotate for at least 10 years. I will be replacing it with something in the <$200 range because it's ridiculous, and it's a microwave.

ovens are TERRIBLE! We have gone thru 3 ovens in the last 7 yrs. DO NOT buy kenmore ovens they are terrible....on the other hand my washer is a kenmore washer and it's still going(knock on wood) My fridge is GE and DON"T ever buy a Sharp microwave...they never last either!

The manager at ABT told us a fridge lasts the max of 8 years. Huh? My mom's Kenmore was over 32 years old and was only replaced because it sucked up too much electricity--it never died.

And I want to add that my mom has an upright Kenmore freezer that we got in 1972. Still runs no issues except once when a new fuse was needed when the basement flooded.

The newer appliances are lasting much less time than the older ones did. They're just not made as well as they used to. (man do I feel old saying that :surrender:)

I've had no issues with any kitchen appliances except dishwashers! We are on our third since we moved in 6 years ago. The last one the hose broke off and water went down into the basement. I also hate my washer.... I wish it would die for good.

We are on 8 years with ours. I am starting to see major wear with the clothes washer, we have repaired the clothes drier once, but all other ones are doing fine.

My fridge better last more than 8 years. It's a Sub Zero, which is not something I can replace every 8 years. I told DH he could use it as my casket when I die, which is why I was "allowed" to get it. Dual purpose. :lol:

I am most worried about the dishwasher. Somehow having to order take out because the oven is broken is ok. Having to wash dishes by hand, shudder, because the DW is broken is not ok. Oh the "first world" problems we have. :giggles:

I've had my dishwasher for 13 years. It makes a lot of noise but until it's totally dead I'm not replacing it.

In 18 years we have had 3 fridges. Two Maytag and one Amana.

yes dishwashers...ugh. 3rd one in 12 years. The bosch is doing well. ALL the whirlpool Gold appliance we got new when we moved in are gone by last year. Microwave went on recall the week we moved in, dishwasher serviced twice as well and finally replaced microwave with stainless to match. Replaced the stove last year since the buttons stopped working and the clean lock was malfunctioning.
I went Kenmore for stove and MW, both are fine but the oven takes longer to heat up. High heat clean cycle trips the circuit. Love the bosch dishwasher but my MIL got an even quieter one. I'll ask what she got if you want to know...it is stealthlike, really, super quiet. I opened it not knowing it was on wash cycle.

The first week we moved into our old house, we bought:

Frigidaire Crown self-cleaning gas range (~$500)
Kenmore dishwasher (~$400)
Over-the-range microhood (can't remember the brand :gah:)

They all lasted the entire 10 years we lived there with no signs of slowing down. I loved the range, used it nearly every day. It looked and acted almost new when we left (except one of the sealed burner covers was badly pitted, but could be replaced for ~$10). The microwave door had some rust in it because I stupidly sprayed Windex on the interior of the door (instead of spraying it a rag) to clean it in my younger days. The Windex somehow got into the door and caused rust. Live and learn. But it never balked functionally.

We used the dishwasher ~3 times a week, and it cleaned like a champion; it had been top rated by Consumer Reports for cleaning and reliability. My only complaint is that the dishwasher racks rusted in many places about 5 years into their life. It cost ~$200 to replace the racks :surrender: but it was either that or live with rust spots on our dishes. The new racks did not rust.

The fridge was a Kenmore top-freezer the previous owner bought to sell the house. We had no issues with it.

Eggzotik, I am curious which DW your MIL has. We have a Bosch & I am less than thrilled with it. I think it's small compared to "American" brands, the racks have been breaking since the first year, it doesn't always clean the dishes well. I wish I'd shelled out for a Miele. The Bosch is quiet, I will give it that much. It's a middle-of-the-road model. It better not crap out on me just yet. I can handle broken rack thingies and dirty dishes on occasion.

Our Dryer from GE lasted 14 years before I wanted to replace with a steam one and probably could have been repaired with a new felt drum kit from what I understand..so probably had a few more years in it. We still have the GE refrigerator from the same batch from our old house in the garage...still works but needs a freon top off.

The early model Kenmore HE washer lasted maybe 10 years but DS/DH had a habit of overloading for sure.

Been here a dozen years and everything has been replaced at least once but some for cosmetic purposes (converting to SS)

I'll ask later tonight! I'm guessing Kenmore but she may have gone to lowes this time since her new fridge isn't.

ovens are TERRIBLE! We have gone thru 3 ovens in the last 7 yrs. DO NOT buy kenmore ovens they are terrible....on the other hand my washer is a kenmore washer and it's still going(knock on wood) My fridge is GE and DON"T ever buy a Sharp microwave...they never last either!

I hear you. I hate my Maytag oven. It has a glass front and the bottom where the broiler is some of the screws popped out and never to be repaired because you can't see where the heck the screws go. IDK there weren't a lot of choices for built ins and it has to be gas.

I should've gone with the Wolf, but I was so in love with the burgundy Viking that made my choice for me. I knew they had "issues," but I had wanted the red one since I was a teenager. I also wish I'd gotten the removable open burner tray things, instead of the sealed. Easier to clean. Even though I know Wolf is better, I still dream of a cottage with a little lemonade or mint julep Viking range. :giggles:

I should've gone with the Wolf, but I was so in love with the burgundy Viking that made my choice for me. I knew they had "issues," but I had wanted the red one since I was a teenager. I also wish I'd gotten the removable open burner tray things, instead of the sealed. Easier to clean. Even though I know Wolf is better, I still dream of a cottage with a little lemonade or mint julep Viking range. :giggles:

:pic12:

Ummm, my kitchen is a mess right now. :lol: I keep cleaning it, but they keep eating. :dunce:

Here's a glimpse of it in the background of a picture of a cake I made for bff's DD last summer.

EmmaCake1.jpg

We moved into our house in 2005. We bought all new GE Profile appliances. Fridge, DW, over range Microwave, range, washer, dryer.

Fridge - we are on our third, the Profile died in 2 years. Kenmore died in another 2, now we have an Amana (still going strong after 3 years knock wood)

Dishwasher - we are on the 2nd one. The Profile died about 2 years ago, but it wasn't working well for at least a year before that, we have terrible water that builds up calcium on appliances. We have a bottom of the line whirlpool and the kids are very happy to not be washing dishes by hand anymore

Range - still fine

Over range Micro - replaced this twice (MAGNETRON, lol boyzrus mary), now we have a countertop model. Only use the range one for a hood fan

Washer - still going strong

Dryer - had to replace this last Dec. I had fixed the belts & stuff a number of times, this time it was just getting too randomly hot and I felt it wasn't safe. We have a ? I think a Kenmore now, whatever it is, it doesn't "match" the washer but they are both white so I'm fine with it.

PS - we are also on our 2nd water heater, and the 6th thermocouple for the various water heaters. Our house is poorly vented I guess, none of the HVAC works exactly as it should. We are slowly fixing the issues (I put a louvered door on the laundry room for the water heater & furnace, etc) but some are not fixable (the kids room above the garage is 40* on a good day in the winter without a space heater).

Appliances are not made how they used to be UNLESS you pay big spendy coin for them. Subzero, high end Bosch, etc. Nothing you can get in a Sears.

Oh, PS. When I see other people posting pics of their kitchens, it reminds me to NEVER POST PICKS OF MY HOOPDY KITCHEN.

:lol:

Back