What's new

Are you a thief?

I havn't bought a cd in about 3 years :p
I use kazaa lite for all of my music.

It's just such a pain carrying around a discman, they are to big, so I have this little mp3 player thats only about 2 times bigger than my thumb :)

i'm with lobo and DD and them
FTP + streaming trance = :-D

Yeah I use Kazaa Lite

BitTorrent is better though.

Good music is hard to find online so I shop around also. (It would have tooken me weeks to find Molotov on kazaa) So yeah I like buying music.

I used to download a bunch of mp3's (not specifically full albums) but a majority of the songs are either from hard-to-find LP's or not available for purchase. I used to buy a whole bunch of CD's from places that'd sell CD's they'd get from radio stations, and I only pay half the price (or less) of what it'd cost in "regular" stores. Dunno if it's giving the artists their dues but I did pay for it..

As a musician, I have mixed feelings about this... I rarely download anything unless it's the only way I can get hold of it (deleted tracks etc.) Musicians struggle to get paid for what they do, only a very small percentage actually end up making a living from their creative works - if everyone downloads it without ever paying, none of us are able to continue making music.... that's a shame, no?

Whats the difference in downloading music and burning a copy after your friends have bought it or from the library?

I'll usually DL a few mp3s of an artist I like or think I'll like or a new album and kind of use it as a trial.... if it's crap then I won't purchase it but if it's awesome then I'll either get it online or go out and get the cd to add to my collection (yes I still use those old things :p)

Call me paranoid, but I would NEVER illegally download ANYTHING. I absolutely agree with Nuphoria - people work hard with and for their music, and to obtain it illegally is not only a crime but it stinks! Cough up a few bucks and support your local music shop!

madge said:
Call me paranoid, but I would NEVER illegally download ANYTHING. I absolutely agree with Nuphoria - people work hard with and for their music, and to obtain it illegally is not only a crime but it stinks! Cough up a few bucks and support your local music shop!

A lot of my friends own MP3 players and would rather spend some extra time downloading than get music quickly by purchasing, since almost all MP3 sources are online. Bit torrents, kazaa, etc. are not yet a mainstream illegal activity in terms of the actions taken against some downloaded music, but it's definitely not the most ethical thing to do.

I don't personally own an mp3 player but if I want certain music, I'll probably download an mp3 or a wav and then end up getting the album later anyway.

But there are time kind of like when I wanted the song "Eye of the Tiger" to play over TeamSpeak with some friends while we played online and I didn't want to go out and get the album to import to my computer, nor did I want to purchase a downloading license on some kind of mp3 site. It was so much more convenient to make a google search and get a quick 6.3mb copy of it in no time. But I think the ethics of something like this may have a rift due to the song being so old. A lot of people claim that new music deserves to have greater restrictions than old. The fact is, it's art and belongs to somebody. It's just a matter of where to draw the line...

Rumsfeld™ said:
Bit torrents, kazaa, etc. are not yet a mainstream illegal activity in terms of the actions taken against some downloaded music, but it's definitely not the most ethical thing to do.

Bittorrent, actually, is mainstream enough to have had most of the major tracker sites sued and shut down. Suprnova, Torrentbits, etc. have all shut down as a result of the lawsuits levied against them by the MPAA. Mind you, that was for hosting pirated movies, but the fact is that Bittorrent, as a peer-to-peer system, did get big enough to get on the radar of the major industry players (read: mainstream), cause them concern, and force legal action.

most of my downloading is restricted to obscure, hard-to-find music. i've discovered several great bands that way, and i usually go out and get their albums.

Diesel said:
Bittorrent, actually, is mainstream enough to have had most of the major tracker sites sued and shut down. Suprnova, Torrentbits, etc. have all shut down as a result of the lawsuits levied against them by the MPAA. Mind you, that was for hosting pirated movies, but the fact is that Bittorrent, as a peer-to-peer system, did get big enough to get on the radar of the major industry players (read: mainstream), cause them concern, and force legal action.
I'm aware of the supernova issue, but there seem to be so many ways to get around those kind of laws from what you see as a result of some of these shutdowns... for instance, supernova is now affiliated (and maybe even supporting financially) the beta program for http://www.exeem.com/ I know it's just a p2p, but the principle is the same... free stuff :\

For those of you that think you're going a long way to support the artist by purchasing songs through iTunes (or other similar online stores), check out this site. I'll download almost all the music I listen to and then buy the actual CD of the ones I like (and I usually never use the purchased one, because I've already burned the CD a month before it came out). DVDs and software I'm much more likely to purchase as I feel like they're (at least most DVDs) priced much more appropriately than CDs. Though I have problems with paying over $100 for an OS, or more than $50 for a single application/game.

Rumsfeld™ said:
I'm aware of the supernova issue, but there seem to be so many ways to get around those kind of laws from what you see as a result of some of these shutdowns... for instance, supernova is now affiliated (and maybe even supporting financially) the beta program for http://www.exeem.com/ I know it's just a p2p, but the principle is the same... free stuff :\

If anything, the Suprnova folks are being supported by Exeem, as it is happy to install about 20 different spyware apps along with the p2p client, all of which I'm sure paid handily to be included in the install package.
I wouldn't touch it with a 20' pole.

Diesel said:
If anything, the Suprnova folks are being supported by Exeem, as it is happy to install about 20 different spyware apps along with the p2p client, all of which I'm sure paid handily to be included in the install package.

I concur.

Diesel said:
Oh, I thought it was the reverse of that... I guess after all the law trouble that makes sense.

And the spyware stuff would definitely be more of a hassle to deal with. My friend says that when he uses p2ps like that he'll usually end up keeping the downloads running for a few days and then burn them to a disc, reboot his computer and then revert his harddrive with goback due to all of the security issues and bad stuff you have to wade through in order to fnd what you're looking for. Compared to something like that I'd much rather pay the money :twocents:

Back