What's new

Avoiding ground beef becuz of pink slime? Might want to put that chicken leg down...

Re: Avoiding ground beef becuz of pink slime? Might want to put that chicken leg down

:9: any more of these articles and there will be nothing left to eat but saltines

I was thinking they were trying to get us to eat something like tofu but that **** aint happening. I prefer pink slime over that crap. :surrender:

Re: Avoiding ground beef becuz of pink slime? Might want to put that chicken leg down

I was thinking they were trying to get us to eat something like tofu but that **** aint happening. I prefer pink slime over that crap. :surrender:

Eat grass fed beef, and pasture raised chickens, and have no worries!

http://www.policymic.com/articles/6...riendly-reasons-you-should-eat-grass-fed-beef

It's not as expensive as you think, if you buy in bulk. I split a 1/4 cow with a family member, and it came out to just over $4/lb (that does not include the liver & stuff we won't eat, but the actual meat), and that's including the expensive steaks. When I drain the ground beef, I get a tablespoon or less of fat off of it. It tastes so much better too!

Tofu can be really tasty if prepared the right way. No tofurkey or that kind of thing but in soups or stir fried with a little meat and veggies. My mom used to make a shrimp stuffed tofu with a sauce that was so good. (I'm sorry that she passed away and I never was able to ask her how she made it.) We eat it 2-3 times a month here and even my picky 5 yo will eat it. It's a great protein source and inexpensive too.

I wish I could become a vegetarian but I like my chicken and pork chops. I could probably live without red meat but every once in a blue moon, I do like a big juicy burger for dinner.

I was very close to buying the Zaycon stuff a few weeks ago, but then MUM said they used pink slime too in the 93 lean beef. It's sad but it's almost getting to the point where nothing will be safe to eat. Short of farming your own food, how can you trust that anything is really safe KWIM? And I might be cynical but I don't believe that all the organic farms are really that. I'm sure they fudge a little bit on things they say and do to make it all sound better.

I do love tofu. But I love a good juicy steak, roast beef, pastrami, corned beef, hamburger, salami, etc. too. :drool:

As for organic, it does NOT mean they don't use pesticides or other chemicals. All organic means is they didn't use synthetic chemicals/poisons. Arsenic & lead are organic and I wouldn't want either in my food.

There is no way to grow fruits & veggies without some chemicals, the bugs would demolish them. I know, I've tried. Grow a new type of veg in your garden, you'll get a new type of bug you haven't had before.

I do love tofu. But I love a good juicy steak, roast beef, pastrami, corned beef, hamburger, salami, etc. too. :drool:

As for organic, it does NOT mean they don't use pesticides or other chemicals. All organic means is they didn't use synthetic chemicals/poisons. Arsenic & lead are organic and I wouldn't want either in my food.

There is no way to grow fruits & veggies without some chemicals, the bugs would demolish them. I know, I've tried. Grow a new type of veg in your garden, you'll get a new type of bug you haven't had before.

I know what organic means but I have some friends who only buy organic and think that because they eat organic meat, produce, dairy, etc that this means they are safe from everything. Sadly that is not true.

And very true about the bugs (and birds and whatever outside critters hang out in your garden) ... gardening is a huge source of frustration for us.

My DH is an avid gardener and has been for the 20+ years I've known him.

He has grown asparagus, green onions, chives, melons, potatoes, carrots, beets, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, every single kind of pepper you can think of, tomatillos, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and more.

He spends so much time and effort and money on it but sometimes the payout is not so good.

We have a Saturn peach tree in the backyard. Last year was the first year we had a good crop ... probably 30+ fruits on the tree. If you're familiar, Saturn peaches (also referred to as donut peaches) are pricey and can be up to 3.00 per lb. We were so looking forward to these peaches but the **** squirrels got to them and knocked every single one of them to the ground when they were still small. :ranting:

Our neighbor has since started a "squirrel relocation program" but now our peach tree has "leaf curl" which is just as bad. Grrrr ...

I don't think I could give up lamb chops either. Or bacon. Or filet mignon. Or bacon wrapped filet mignon.

Yep! No way I could ever become a vegetarian even though it would be better for me LOL.

Squirrels are worse than chipmunks, as far as gardens go. I started growing some things in tubs on the deck off my 2nd floor [no access to the ground] because the chipmunks were destroying my garden. The squirrels are more than happy to take a flying leap from nearby trees to eat what is on the deck.:ranting: Far too many to trap when you live in an oak forest.

If I could afford it, I'd cover the entire deck in a giant metal hardware cloth cage, same for the garden.

Squirrels are worse than chipmunks, as far as gardens go. I started growing some things in tubs on the deck off my 2nd floor [no access to the ground] because the chipmunks were destroying my garden. The squirrels are more than happy to take a flying leap from nearby trees to eat what is on the deck.:ranting: Far too many to trap when you live in an oak forest.

If I could afford it, I'd cover the entire deck in a giant metal hardware cloth cage, same for the garden.

But squirrels are better battered and fried than chipmunks :lol:

Chipmunks are appetizer sized, squirrels can stretch to be a main course.

There is no way to grow fruits & veggies without some chemicals, the bugs would demolish them.
I know, I've tried. Grow a new type of veg in your garden, you'll get a new type of bug you haven't had before.

I have never used anything on my garden, and I have no problems. The occasion tomato gets a little eaten up, but as long as I leave those there, they leave the rest alone. Organic farmers use stuff like garlic, mint, and other harmless things, to keep pests away, not arsenic & lead. I planted some mint around my raised garden. Mint repels some insects. Organic is much better than traditional. There is a huge difference. It is not just some kind of hype.

:lol:Yep and brown eggs are better for you then white.

It is perfectly possible to grow vegetables without pouring poison all over them.

Like Kris said, there are natural repellents in the form of herbs. For other pests I have used (different things for different pests) beer, kaolin clay spray, mild soapy water, ladybugs I pick off the siding, and the manual picking-off method.

The easiest way to cut down on pests is to make sure you get them out of your soil each year after you harvest/before you plant. Gotta pull out the dead stuff (pests like that just as much) and bed down for winter correctly. Earthworm castings are good for this.

Back