What's new

Bandwidth.....

G

Ok, so a few weeks back in my local newspaper comcast ran a flyer saying that all local customers had there bandwidth doubled. Well it seems that mine really did double and for the price we pay its now in reason. I was wondering what your guys bandwidth was, for testing you can go here http://speedtest.dslreports.com
This is mine,
bandwidth.gif

Thats incredible!
Too bad the upstream is slow...

Download:2913
Upload:241
and i'm using comcast too, also on a 5 computer network with 3 people on right now

thats not fair, i think my bro might have a few torrents going and other bro is playing star craft. Anyways what good is 3mbps down when most servers dont go over 300kbps ...?

yea thats true the fastest i've gone is like 355 i can't remember where though

lol, i get around 450 - 500kbps on nvidia somtimes :(

2003-12-08 12:33:21 EST: 6672 / 7181
Your download speed : 6672689 bps, or 6672 kbps.
A 814.5 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 7181328 bps, or 7181 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

On college campus speed, the way to go!

lol, how much u pay a month tho or do u have it included with ur tuition, what collage...?

2003-12-08 17:10:15 EST: 6019 / 73
Your download speed : 6019104 bps, or 6019 kbps.
A 734.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 73827 bps, or 73 kbps.

Seems about right, $40 / month ;) Upload sucks, but it balances out with the uncapped downloads :p

it's included with tuition,.. or rather, included in your dorm fees

Dude it doenst matter if you have like 10mbit down, but u need upload. Comcast is too selfish to give upload. Xs gets 4meg up! for 40 a month, and over in china and japan they get 10/10 for cheap beacouse everything is on internet there unlike lazy usa!!!!

sk8 said:
Dude it doenst matter if you have like 10mbit down, but u need upload. Comcast is too selfish to give upload. Xs gets 4meg up! for 40 a month, and over in china and japan they get 10/10 for cheap beacouse everything is on internet there unlike lazy usa!!!!
I'm surprised I could comprehend your post.. Yes, it would be kickass to have a nice upload speed, but if I can download a file @ 600kb/sec and you can only download that file @ 150kb/sec. I get the file 4 times faster :)

Adeliphia seems to be rasing there rates but they did double my upload speed and its a constant 30 so i dont know if it worth it yet.

2003-12-10 10:23:23 EST: 632 / 766
Your download speed : 632727 bps, or 632 kbps.
A 77.2 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 766283 bps, or 766 kbps.

OMFG, data what service do u got...? ur upload is AMAZING!!!!!

oh.. that's actually my work connection. It's only a T3 line, but I have a private server I run on it. It could have been faster if i didn't have 11/20 users connected to me all at once. LOL :D

bah i keep forgetting to check the speed at my school...we have like dual t1 lines

Download = 2792 kbits/sec or 349 KBytes/sec
Upload = 352 kbits/sec or 44 KBytes/sec

I'm on satellite... I can get faster downloads if I can connect mutiple times when I'm downloading.

2003-12-22 13:45:22 EST: 1048 / 23
Your download speed : 1048094 bps, or 1048 kbps.
A 127.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 23272 bps, or 23 kbps.
Your upstream result was very slow! .. not good

As for me i'm still on 56k so :(.

For colleges and schools and such it is obvious that they are ripping. They make up the backbone of the internet. They don't use and isp the are the isp of isp's. My school has state paid for cisco routers and is one of the major hubs in Norther CA so we are just plain ripping. I've downloaded at 1200kbs steady. And at that point speed doesn't matter because it's not your line but the line on the other end and distince of transmition that limits you.

You can't use a college internet line at max because of basic TCP/IP stuff. You can hardly get 30% of speed off those lines. When you lose one packet TCP cuts your speed in half to protect from losses so it's hard to reach the theoretical max. Thats why you only get maybe 80% across network. When you go from a major college line you are downloading at 1200kbs and none of the other users even notices the bandwidth use.

My school runs on a OC12 and then goes to T1's /Fiber to all the other schools in the region. We have a dedicated line to the nearest colleges because we are a major hub.

Back