What's new

Baron Davis will start over Lin

Yeah, I don't see how the coach could have even considered putting Baron Davis over Lin. The sad part is Lin wasn't even TRYING to look to score last night, and he still put up 17. That tells you a lot. Why would ANY coach bench a player like that?

Definitely what I was thinking, and I also agree with the others about "why fix something that's not broken?" :cool::cool:

If Baron Davis starts over Lin, that will hinder Lin's growth as a point guard.

I really hope Mike doesn't do this. Lin has a lot of turnovers but that's due to his lack of experience.

I don't think that's what he actually said.. I'm pretty sure it more along the lines of Lin will continue to start for now, but he could see Davis starting at some point once he's back to full health and if Lin slows down. I'm pretty sure that if Lin plays the way he has been Dantoni plans to leave him as the starter.

I don't think that's what he actually said.. I'm pretty sure it more along the lines of Lin will continue to start for now, but he could see Davis starting at some point once he's back to full health and if Lin slows down. I'm pretty sure that if Lin plays the way he has been Dantoni plans to leave him as the starter.

But why even risk it? Lin is a new, young player. And productive to boot. Baron Davis is injury prone, getting old, and just doesn't play the way he used to. At best, Baron should be a mentor for Lin and a backup.

If the Knicks are really serious about being a contender, they'd groom Lin and let him keep playing

But why even risk it? Lin is a new, young player. And productive to boot. Baron Davis is injury prone, getting old, and just doesn't play the way he used to. At best, Baron should be a mentor for Lin and a backup.

If the Knicks are really serious about being a contender, they'd groom Lin and let him keep playing

I agree 100% I'm just contesting the OP's idea that Dantoni said that Davis would start when he comes back.

Just saw on ESPN that D'Antoni claims when Baron Davis comes back he will get his starting spot back over Lin. I can't imagine how loud the boos will be in NY if this actually happens. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure this information is incorrect. Maybe you saw something saying Baron Davis is close to returning, but him taking Lin's place is literally insane. Jeremy Lin has ignited that team and played on a level that Baron Davis isn't capable of playing at nowadays. If this was 6 years ago BD might be able to over-throw Lin but at his age and his condition, no way.

Davis must feel pretty bad knowing that an unknown rookie got his spot in the starting five :D personally I'd be devastated if that were to happen to me

Davis is a proven starting pg in the nba. Lin has started less than a dozen games. Although they are winning with him at the starter he will be just as effective off the bench. It makes sense to let the vet start and have the young one off the bench.

Davis must feel pretty bad knowing that an unknown rookie got his spot in the starting five :D personally I'd be devastated if that were to happen to me

Baron needs to get in shape and healthy before he can be upset about anything.

lol, yeah, this is absolutely right. Lol. But still, it's for the greater benefit of the team.

D'Antoni would get booed so fast if he tried to do that. If you have a winning formula with Lin you need to stick with that formula and keep winning games while the opportunity is there.

So after a while, since there was no official statement that this would happen from an article of some sort, I think we can all agree that Baron Davis will not be starting anymore now that Lin has permanently replaced him?

This is not going to happen. Probably said just to let Davis know that he's an important part of the team or to keep Lin humble and hungry, but I don't he needs to say anything for that. The kid's already like that naturally.

I think Lin should get the starting job over him. It happens in the NFL all the time. When a player goes down and his backup performs well, most times, they'll keep with the player who last performed well. I honestly think Lin should start. It would give the Knicks so much negative publicity if they don't.

I would also like to add that if Baron Davis is in the right state of mind, he would want what's best for the Knicks. If letting Jeremy Lin start gave the Knicks a better shot at the title, then personally, I would let him start.

Baron Davis has a high ego, no? Correct me if I'm wrong, but when he played in the Clippers, he did nothing good for them... Hopefully D'antoni doesn't try to ruin the flow they currently have!

^^ It's hard to tell whether BD has a big ego or not. His contemporaries like AI, Marbury and Francis have all shown, one way or another, how they feel about reduced roles. So far, it does look like BD hasn't got a problem with it at all. Considering how he's played so far his first games back (and he didn't fair any better than Lin against the Heat), there's little room to complain anyhow and I'm sure he knows it.

^^ It's hard to tell whether BD has a big ego or not. His contemporaries like AI, Marbury and Francis have all shown, one way or another, how they feel about reduced roles. So far, it does look like BD hasn't got a problem with it at all. Considering how he's played so far his first games back (and he didn't fair any better than Lin against the Heat), there's little room to complain anyhow and I'm sure he knows it.

If Baron Davis had the same ego of Marbury, Iverson, and Francis he'd be watching the games from the same place they are, their couch. Davis' problems have always been weight and injuries. He was one of the best players in the NBA like 10 years ago, so fun to watch, great explosiveness. If Davis is in good shape he'll be a great backup, if he's in great shape, he could give Lin a run for the job.

He did deal with a lot of injuries back then, true. The guy was supposedly 240lbs at one point in his career after all. He was definitely fun to watch and he had the athleticism to match even someone like Wade. Considering he did gain a reputation as a chucker for some time those many years ago, fairly or unfairly I just think there is that possibility of him having an ego.

Back