What's new

Basic Karaoke Library

russsh

Emerging Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Hey people,

We dont post much here, kind of lurkers, lol. Always reading and trying to absorb everything you have to offer, which is wonderful info btw. Using the search function all the time. (btw whats with having to input a verification code all the time, other sites/forums only use that for non registered users, why-O-why do registered users have to do this annoying thing? lol) I digress....

Basic Karaoke Library, we are adding Karaoke to our business, so, what would you suggest as far as a startup library? SGB, SC, MM....etc

Depends what you want to spend to get started. What Chuck suggested are good quality tracks and will give you a good foundation, but be prepared to spend a couple or a few thousand.

Another way to go to get your feet wet is to go on ebay and pick up some inexpensive collections like All Hits, Supercore, Sweet Georgia Brown, Idol Makers and then some individual discs that you think would be good from Legends, Zoom, and others.

If you buy a program from Kjamp to convert them, you can buy whole collections like Chartbusters on SCDG discs(Super CDG) for $125-$200. You can also get the entire Nutech collection on Super CDG.

It's worth the time to peruse what's on ebay, you can save a lot of money.

One other collection I suggest is Monster hits. I saw it somewhere, Karaoke Warehouse I think, for around $500. That is one I for sure will be getting eventually.

Soundchoice is very good, no doubt about it if you have the money, get the Foundations and the bricks, even the mortars too, you'll have a really good collection.

Here are my thoughts:

Check ebay.... top down for starters look for:

SC Foundations I and II plus all five bricks
Chartbuster E-450 series 1-9
Zoom
Supercore
SGB
Karaoke Hits

Just to name a few.....

I started off with SGB, Karaoke Hits, KJ Tool Box, Superstar Karaoke... etc... plus various Chartbuster and Sound Choice discs....

you ppl rock!

Thanks for the responses so for!!!! Exactly what Im doing looking on ebay. Question, all or most Karaoke disks say this: ""Music is not performed by the original artists, artist names are referenced for "In The Style Of" Only!" would only make sense, just want the real disks, not some pirated ones.

thanks

Thanks for the responses so for!!!! Exactly what Im doing looking on ebay. Question, all or most Karaoke disks say this: ""Music is not performed by the original artists, artist names are referenced for "In The Style Of" Only!" would only make sense, just want the real disks, not some pirated ones.

thanks

They will all say "In The Style Of..." There aren't many discs out there save for a select few rare discs where an artist has authorized the use of their recorded music for karaoke.... or has been included on an artists disc.

All that means is the disc manufacture be it SC, MM, SGB, KH etc... has used their own studio musicians or {gulp} Midi created music to make the backing tracks.

The best way to shop ebay is to read the feedback responses very carefully even the good ones... buy only from super sellers as for the most part their track record should be ok... ask questions directly... if they are evasive in their answers you might want to use caustion...

Other good sources for discs are www.acekaraoke.com or for downloads www.tricerasoft.com

If you are planning on converting your discs to MP3+G I would use Power CDG Burner as my ripping program of choice... it's not free and will cost about $40.00 but it is well worth it... I have not come accross a better ripper bar none.... www.powerkaraoke.com

Audiograbber is my backup for those "special discs" that want to be difficult... Chartbuster on occation along with Sound Choice on occation are my "Special" cases and usually only the last track or two give me problems and therefore I use Audiograbber...

Hard drive space is cheap... so always rip to the highest bit rate CBR and use the slowest read speed possible. It's recomended to rip at 8x or less.

Just make sure you ask to make sure the discs are not burns. Beware of anyone selling digital drives UNLESS they offer the discs as well.

As for startup stuff.. Well I always say it depends on what exactly is really popular in your particular area. Do people sing a lot of current stuff? consider investing in a Pop Hits monthly subsciption IF you have the gigs to support the expense. Country? Start buying some chartbuster collections. The foundation and bricks are expensive, but they do provide a wide variety of karaoke.

If you don't have a lot of cash to start doing the karaoke thing, then get the supercore sets, good variety and will let you know what your audience likes to sing, so as you work you can get higher qaulity sets.

Everyone will have their own favourite brand for different reasons. Mine is zoom because you can get songs that are not available in North America for karaoke. I have only listened to two bad tracks that were made by zoom, the rest were absolutely stellar. Thing is the selection can be a little limited.

Sweet Gergia Brown also has some truely stellar renditions, but some equally bad tracks but considering a set can be had for about $100 overall i'd say its worth it.

something else that came to my attention recently was a brand called "Karaoke Kurrents" which I did not know was made by supercore but is very decent and a good way to get some well sung *in general* current hits.

hope that helps a bit

-James

I currently run Winamp with the Karaoke plug-in (all free) and a ten dollar plug in called Pacemaker that i use for pitch and key changes. I ripp with Audiograbber (also free)
Those will get your feet wet without investing a lot to start out. You can then move into Tricerisoft, VDJ or PCDJ Karaoke.
I currently have 49,417 karaoke tracks but I've been at it for 30 years. it takes time. :)

looking at ebay for some of the collections you all suggested. TY We are pc based DJ's so thats the way we will go, gonna probally use winamp and plugins...know my way around it so that will help. Had a cdg here, SGB one, ripped it with audiograbber, it worked, but lots of artifacts on the graphics, maybe settings. Going to play around with that...or buy a program. Long road ahead, but will be fun.

Btw, not a fan of Karaoke myself, the wife loves it...and it helps that she can sing!....Me not so much unless i have some 'liquid courage' so to speak. But, its business, and the people love it, so we aim to please! And it adds one more thing we can do.

looking at ebay for some of the collections you all suggested. TY We are pc based DJ's so thats the way we will go, gonna probally use winamp and plugins...know my way around it so that will help. Had a cdg here, SGB one, ripped it with audiograbber, it worked, but lots of artifacts on the graphics, maybe settings. Going to play around with that...or buy a program. Long road ahead, but will be fun.

Btw, not a fan of Karaoke myself, the wife loves it...and it helps that she can sing!....Me not so much unless i have some 'liquid courage' so to speak. But, its business, and the people love it, so we aim to please! And it adds one more thing we can do.

Could be the speed at which you ripped the disc... keep in mind the slower you rip the better the graphics will be especially when using Audiograbber...

However, I found that Power CDG Burner from www.powerkaraoke.com to be the best ripper available.... I have yet to get a rip from this program that wasn't good unless there was something wrong with the disc.

If you are anal about how your product is presented like me... then Power CDG Burner is worth the $40.00... trust me on this.

Burning software aside, there are 2 SGB discs ( wish I could remember which ones) that can be troublesome to burn, and even to make a back up disc...

Some SGB will not rip because they are not the original set. All the sets sold on ebay are copies of one set, but you can still use them just fine. *It's impossible to tell the difference*

Disc 8 is the absolute worst. send me a PM and let me know which ones your having trouble with

-James

Some SGB will not rip because they are not the original set. All the sets sold on ebay are copies of one set, but you can still use them just fine. *It's impossible to tell the difference*

Disc 8 is the absolute worst. send me a PM and let me know which ones your having trouble with

-James

I must have got a good set... because all my discs ripped just fine. I have the 66 disc set plus the Tool Box 10 disc set.

I must have got a good set... because all my discs ripped just fine. I have the 66 disc set plus the Tool Box 10 disc set.

It may be disc 3 and another, but not sure., but on the ORIGINAL set, 2 discs show "mystery" tracks when ripped, or even burned on a professional burner for backups. This is what seems to cause problems for some. However, Joker is correct. No problems for PowerCDG, and if copying for backup, no problem for the Microboards QuikDisc burner.

BTW- the "66" disc set ( same as I have) actually shows 68 on KJ Pro... Only recently found that out....

yeah pretty much set on powercdg program, we like easy! I repair computers in my spare time? (who has spare time? lol) so I have a good 'puter background. So, advice on video out for karaoke, to a TV, or monitor, or both? Oh, from a laptop btw. I know several ways of doing this, being the guru's, what is the best and or bullet proof way? Standard screen/mic stand with TV/monitor is probably a given, we also like it when we see the graphics on the local bar/pubs TV's too. Send this out basic coax, anyone use wireless signal to venue's TV?

you all rock with your wealth of knowledge...ty for sharing and advice btw!

I think that's the right idea. I would look at more collections like that and get familiar with what's being offered before you buy one. I think it's a great way to get started for very little money.

yeah pretty much set on powercdg program, we like easy! I repair computers in my spare time? (who has spare time? lol) so I have a good 'puter background. So, advice on video out for karaoke, to a TV, or monitor, or both? Oh, from a laptop btw. I know several ways of doing this, being the guru's, what is the best and or bullet proof way? Standard screen/mic stand with TV/monitor is probably a given, we also like it when we see the graphics on the local bar/pubs TV's too. Send this out basic coax, anyone use wireless signal to venue's TV?

you all rock with your wealth of knowledge...ty for sharing and advice btw!

Laptop with S/Video
If your laptop is equiped with an S/Video output then you can simply connect that to the S/Video of almost any tv..... set the computer to extend the desktop to the secondary display and you are cooking with gas.

If your TV doesn't have s/video then you may need a tail to convert the s/video to composite.

Laptop with VGA
A little more complicated but all you need is a convertor box to convert VGA to either composite or S/video and usually these boxes do both.

I prefer to use a TV over a computer monitor for displaying the graphics because they just look better on a TV.

Getting it to the venue TV
You'll need in most cases a video to coax convertor box.... I'm not sure I would go the wireless route: 1. due to cost and 2. reliability.

you da man Joker, my thoughts exactly on the video.....well off to do a 50th wedding anniversary for the night. ty

Back