What's new

Basic Karaoke Library

Depends what you want to spend to get started. What Chuck suggested are good quality tracks and will give you a good foundation, but be prepared to spend a couple or a few thousand.

Another way to go to get your feet wet is to go on ebay and pick up some inexpensive collections like All Hits, Supercore, Sweet Georgia Brown, Idol Makers and then some individual discs that you think would be good from Legends, Zoom, and others.

Hi,

Karaoke is big business and demand for karaoke music continues to grow and that's one reason so many sites have appeared offering free songs to download.

If you are wondering what the catch is it's really not so bad. Most of these sites combine selling karaoke equipment such as players, mics, and speakers with selling karaoke CD's and tracks. They entice you by offering you free downloads in hopes that you'll spend some money on other things. So it's a win win for you. You can get free stuff and get good deals on hardware too.

Hi,

Karaoke is big business and demand for karaoke music continues to grow and that's one reason so many sites have appeared offering free songs to download.

If you are wondering what the catch is it's really not so bad. Most of these sites combine selling karaoke equipment such as players, mics, and speakers with selling karaoke CD's and tracks. They entice you by offering you free downloads in hopes that you'll spend some money on other things. So it's a win win for you. You can get free stuff and get good deals on hardware too.

This is a falacy that many new KJ's fall victim to....

"There is no such thing as a free lunch." Ever heard that phrase before?

Of course you have. Karaoke has to be licensed and at this moment digital karaoke is a grey area in American law and in Canada it requires a specific license to even be digital at all.

Companies springing up offering free stuff under the guise of it being an inticement to spend money on big ticket items such as speakers, players etc... is one huge lie.

To put it blutly it's piracy plain and simple. Please anyone looking at such sites be sure to do your homework getting caught with tracks like these, even if they are produced by said online site... still require licensing from the usual sources. In many cases these sites are offshore sites that skirt the laws because they are in countries that allow this sort of thing.

This is a falacy that many new KJ's fall victim to....

"There is no such thing as a free lunch." Ever heard that phrase before?

Of course you have. Karaoke has to be licensed and at this moment digital karaoke is a grey area in American law and in Canada it requires a specific license to even be digital at all.

Companies springing up offering free stuff under the guise of it being an inticement to spend money on big ticket items such as speakers, players etc... is one huge lie.

To put it blutly it's piracy plain and simple. Please anyone looking at such sites be sure to do your homework getting caught with tracks like these, even if they are produced by said online site... still require licensing from the usual sources. In many cases these sites are offshore sites that skirt the laws because they are in countries that allow this sort of thing.

Factual, stated quite well, and kept me from having to do it- I would give tripple thanks if it were allowed....:sqbiggrin:

Pulled the trigger,( well, clicked the mouse)

Well, 2600 songs on the way, one of them deals on ebay. Looks like an all night-er to get them ripped when they get here. Hope the wife can stay up that long! lol

This endeavor will be fun, (mostly). Around here karaoke is mostly for fun, not many "pro" singers that worry about rotation, pitch, etc... Of course, we produce a good show they may come out of the woodwork!

One thing i have noticed around here, the KJ's don't adjust the mic sound quality for each singer, hand them a mic and let them rip. Is that a big thing, adjusting the mic for each singer? Not an issue to do, but just haven't noticed it around here.

off for a busy labor day weekend, back to back 6 hour shows!

*Thumper: [clears throat] If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all.*

Well, 2600 songs on the way, one of them deals on ebay. Looks like an all night-er to get them ripped when they get here. Hope the wife can stay up that long! lol

This endeavor will be fun, (mostly). Around here karaoke is mostly for fun, not many "pro" singers that worry about rotation, pitch, etc... Of course, we produce a good show they may come out of the woodwork!

One thing i have noticed around here, the KJ's don't adjust the mic sound quality for each singer, hand them a mic and let them rip. Is that a big thing, adjusting the mic for each singer? Not an issue to do, but just haven't noticed it around here.

off for a busy labor day weekend, back to back 6 hour shows!

*Thumper: [clears throat] If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all.*

2600 songs will take more than one night to rip... keep in mind that karaoke rips an audio and a graphic file (.cdg) it is extremely important that you rip at the slowest possible speed 8x or less.

Average per disc rip time will vary depending on the number of tracks and average rip speed.... you can figure about 10-15 minutes per disc on average.

2600 songs with an average of 15 tracks per disc equals about 175 discs.... so... ya don't expect to get it done overnight.... take your time it's worth it.

I would recomend Power CDG Burner from www.powerkaraoke.com best **** ripper out there.

Also have you decided on what program you are going to use to run your shows?

Some good ones are:
AutOKdj (free)
Karma (aka PCDJ KJPro)
Compuhost
Roxbox
S&D
Sigilos

too old for all night-ers

yah the all night-er was kidding, unless it involves redbull and vodka, and we never run a computer with vodka.

Already have powercdg loaded and waiting, have a laptop with a tv connected right next to me, been playing and testing. Winamp/AutoKDJ up and running. Will rip all songs to a usb drive, keep it separate from our music library and transferable to a back-up pc. Week or so should be ready. Our regular venues will be flabbergasted and thrilled we are doing karaoke, our reg DJ show shines,(lots of work getting it there) hopefully our KJ show will too someday, (more work, research, trial n error) off we go into the wild blue yonder!

Well break a leg and all that.

Just remember a few basic things.

1. Karaoke singers are really fickle people, it will take time to build a show that they will want to come back to altho it helps if you have regular customers at the gigs you already do.

2. This is just a personal opinion, but I would not use your regular shows to promote karaoke *not over the mic i mean, in person and one on-one is ok*

3. Go to other shows and take notes. What are people singing, does the KJ do something that you think you could do better? Do they do something that you think will work for your show.

4. Live sound is completely different from the average dj gig, unless you already have a live system you will need to learn a whole different set of skills including how to mix a singer with the music, how to add effects and when NOT to use them.. That will take time, but it becomes second nauture eventually

hope that helps a bit

-James

Here's a caveat: If it gets in your blood, and you end up loving it, DJ work may no longer give you the same zip. :sqlaugh::sqcool:

The deal looks like a great one, if it's on the level. Good Luck!

Its already in our blood, DJ, KJ, MC, GameShows, we love to entertain, hence Entertainment is part of our name. Each one of these have their quirks, but very similar in regards to being on the mic, entertaining, managing, showing off?, etc... Seems like a natural expansion of our business.

DJ'ing will always zip me, love the packed house, when a song gets a scream of excitement from somewhere, the manager/owner smiling as his cash registers are ringing. Or, the glow and looks from the Bride and Groom when you spend time with them planning out their day, the smiles you get when the music is just what they envisioned. The weird, off the wall DJ-ing, ....middle of a frozen lake during a Ice-Fishing contest, the bewilderment when people actually see you out there, that was so cool! Its all good!

Here's the kicker, I can not sing a note, wife sings awesome, and I have never been a fan of songs being massacred, HOWEVER, I love watching and helping people to have fun, so its all gooooooooood!!

Whats that rippinggggggg sound?

nope, not my pants....ripping ripping ripping, the collection I got on Ebay. Going slow, making sure everything is good to go. The freedb is something to be desired though, you would think it would be better, cause its us that imput the stuff....oh well...all is good!

As I sit here watching the songs rip away, was ready the forums, a question popped in my brain.

AutoKDJ: Changing pitch and or tempo, Im so doing something wrong here, nothing seems to work, nothing changes. Any tips on how or if this works on this program?

ty ty

AutoKDJ: Changing pitch and or tempo, Im so doing something wrong here, nothing seems to work, nothing changes. Any tips on how or if this works on this program?

ty ty

You have to go to preferences and then to plug-ins and turn on Pacemaker if you downloaded it along with AutOKdj... it works but generally you don't want to go up or down more than 2 before it gets all garbley...

I would highly recomend Karma www.latshawsystems.com (or on www.pcdj.com KJPro) as it seems to be much more stable as long as it's run on a 32-bit system. It's not free... but, I think it is on par with AutOKdj both have excellent points to them but for me Karma just seems to win out with stability and cost versus any other program out there includeing the free ones.

Check out my youtube page I have videos for both programs... www.youtube.com/totalimpactdjs

Back