What's new

best bang for your buck?

DryFire

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Well my birthday just passed and i'm in need of a gfx card upgrade.

I was wondering what gfx card do you think is the best bang for the buck?

I will not be overclocking it (at least not till next year)

Ati hase teh 9800 pro for $300 and a 9800 np for $250

newegg has the 9600 pro $150-160

what do you think is the best deal?

I currently have an 8500le 64mb.

and i do NOT want an FX card.

I would have to say that the 9600 Pro is a very good "bang for the buck" card, especially if you overclock...
I don't really see any reason in spending $100 more for their newest video card that has like 20-50 more mhz GPU speed. Usually you can just overclock to the next version video cards' speed with stock cooling. Since the 9800 is still rather new there is a rave for it, just wait until they release a newer video card or go with the 9600.(unless of course you are rich...)

Wait till the end of this year. XGI is coming out with a line of cards, and the Radeon 9600/9600XT prices will drop.

If you are interested in AIW cards, an AIW 9600 Pro can be had for around $215

I got my 9800np of ebay for 200 and it works great but it was kind of risky... I would go with the 9700 or 9500. from what i've heard 9500 gives most FPS per dollar and 9700 is a great card altogether. I agree to wait but if you wait 3 months then something newer will be comming along and then you wait 3 more, eventually you have to bite the bullet. The after Christmas sales might not be a bad wait though.

Ya, prices on computer hardware drop so fast... it wouldn't hurt to just wait a month or 2 if you are strapped for cash (seeing as your looking for the best fps/$)

yup, I sold back my radeon 9600Se($130) back to best buy and i'm gonna save that money for the new wave vid cards :)

Back