What's new

Beta-testers needed for a new karaoke hoster/player I'm developing

How many times are you going to repeat yourself Joe?

We know you only use a computer for small house parties.

We know, the sound isn't good enough for your high standards, we know you're a luddite, we know, we know.

You've told us at least a thousand times, enough already.

You don't like computers for hosting Karaoke, then don't participate in threads about computer Karaoke software, jeeez

LOL, so it works, then? Was starting to get some heat from here that I was putting spam up. Not the case!

OK, think I need to clarify a few things that I might be misleading about:
1. This is similar to S&D and always found it simpler than having seperate singer tables. Once the name is used once, it shows up on the drop down list.
2. Why is this such a big deal? I wouldn't assume the song should instantly load to the player until the KJ is ready to actually play the file. What would you suggest I do otherwise?
3. How long? I might be able to help this in future revisions. If the file is zipped, it needs to unzip before loading. Might be able to streamline that.
4. OK, this and the next are related so I'll answer both here: What you're describing is a true sorted Rotation list like Compuhost uses (which is in a feature bracket and eventually price WAY above my software). My "Rotation List" IS just a list of singers as they are entered from the song list. Now, of course, these entries can be moved and deleted with the 5 nav buttons, but there is no extensive sort of singer to rotation. Maybe I should change the name of Rotation List.

Remember, this is supposed to be a S&D caliber app. There's the Venue option and Favorites and eventually History data with stats that will be implemented

Thank you very much for your frank comments

Ryan

LOL, so it works, then? Was starting to get some heat from here that I was putting spam up. Not the case!

OK, think I need to clarify a few things that I might be misleading about:
1. This is similar to S&D and always found it simpler than having seperate singer tables. Once the name is used once, it shows up on the drop down list.

Like I said I find that I don't necessarily like this behavior but it's not a deal breaker.

2. Why is this such a big deal? I wouldn't assume the song should instantly load to the player until the KJ is ready to actually play the file. What would you suggest I do otherwise?

Not a big deal just pointing it out... more of an annoyance then anything. I'm spoiled I guess.

3. How long? I might be able to help this in future revisions. If the file is zipped, it needs to unzip before loading. Might be able to streamline that.

Not long about a 2-5 second lag time... and d'oh I didn't think about my files being in zipped format until you said that..... so I beg your pardon.

BTW the load time into the data base was fairly fast but you might add some options for file format naming conventions as there are several in use.

4. OK, this and the next are related so I'll answer both here: What you're describing is a true sorted Rotation list like Compuhost uses (which is in a feature bracket and eventually price WAY above my software). My "Rotation List" IS just a list of singers as they are entered from the song list. Now, of course, these entries can be moved and deleted with the 5 nav buttons, but there is no extensive sort of singer to rotation. Maybe I should change the name of Rotation List.

I understand you are trying to model the behaviors of S&D but I'll tell you from a live show stand point it's better to have a screen that shows who has songs currently enqued to sing in one window and then a separate one to keep track of the actual rotation.

The rotation screen should behave as your current version does and the playlist should behave as a playlist.... my suggestion here would be to look at how AutOKdj does this and mimic this behavior instead.

New singers should be placed at the bottom of the rotation for sure but in the playlist if you have singers already cueued up for the next rotation and it hasn't started yet should be placed at the bottom of the current rotation as it appears in the playlist like this:

1. John
2. Mike
3. Wiz
4. Suzie (N)
5. John
6. Mike
7. Wiz

How many times are you going to repeat yourself Joe?

We know you only use a computer for small house parties.

We know, the sound isn't good enough for your high standards, we know you're a luddite, we know, we know.

You've told us at least a thousand times, enough already.

You don't like computers for hosting Karaoke, then don't participate in threads about computer Karaoke software, jeeez

Apologies to anyone who took my post in that vein. I was just throwing in a laugh- and maybe a touch of giveback- it was supposed to be funny? No ulterior motive. Apologies once again. ......and JEEZ backatya :sqwink: Joker, tell him willya?

Apologies to anyone who took my post in that vein. I was just throwing in a laugh- and maybe a touch of giveback- it was supposed to be funny? No ulterior motive. Apologies once again. ......and JEEZ backatya :sqwink: Joker, tell him willya?

He's just a luddite pay him no mind..... LOL

Just messin with ya Joe..... one day we will assimilate you too. The Borg is patient.

Joker this isnt autkdj get past that and trust me Joe is a fun loving guy with only good intentions for success in the Karaoke hosting endeavors.

But you do this on EVERY computer software thread Joe. Your "humor" has been repeated so many times and it wasn't even funny the first time. You prefer CD based Karaoke, we understand. You don't like computer based Karaoke and think that the sound quality is poor compared to CD, we get it.

Isn't it funny that so many people are already using computers to host? and that every day more and more are switching from CD to computer?

You take great pride in repeating that you're a luddite and you repeat it often. You're a broken record on this subject. It's like you're trying to convince us that a CD based show is better when we're all going computer, so what is that saying? We're dumb because we want to use a computer to host?

It's a not so subtle innuendo and it's old and tired and you've singlehandedly made it cliche. You're like the people in their horse drawn carriage waving their fist at the newfangled motorcars zooming by in the early 20th century. Do you see anyone still using a horse and carriage for transportation?

Joker this isnt autkdj get past that and trust me Joe is a fun loving guy with only good intentions for success in the Karaoke hosting endeavors.

Jon: I know it's not Autok... but there are some fundamentals of karaoke hosting that should be followed whether or not there is a rotation screen that just maintains a list of the singers or not doesn't matter to me at this point of the software development that can come later or even be a pop-up available when right clicking for all that matters...

Rotation handling in any host program is of the utmost of importance to any host.

With it behaving merely as a list versus actually working as a rotation should work at any live show is a huge problem.... I only mentioned AutOK to help facilitate understanding the point I was making... to help further his software development I would think this information would be invaluable to an aspiring programmer.

Just to clarify currently what happens is this:

1. John
2. Wiz
3. Rob
4. John
5. Wiz
6. Rob
7. Suzie (N)

If this was rotations 1 and 2 and we were still at the top of rotation 1 Suzie should have been place after Rob in position 4.

To me if you're going to design a software package for hosting karaoke it should do all the things a host would do on paper but within the programming.

Just my 2 cents.

If this is not the course he desires to take or isn't open to these kind of suggestions then I can't see myself beta testing it for long because it would hold little to no value to me as a host. And it would be no better than using winamp with just a CDG plugin.

Fishbox, some folks like complicated programs that will do everything you can imagine and in order to do that you end up with a complicated user interface with lots of things that you don't see on the main operating screen. You end up having to drill down multiple levels for functions that aren't accessible on the main interface screen.

Keep things clean and simple. Make the most often used and most common functions one or two clicks. Drag and drop is good. Right click or double click or enter to perform a simple function is good. I don't know how Rob got your program to run, but you need to get to work so that some of the rest of us can try it too.

Fishbox, do yourself a favor and take a look at DJ Mix Pro. Very simple, clear user interface. The cleaner and clearer you make it, I would be willing to bet it will be easier to program, require fewer resources and the program will run faster and have less bugs. Simple, simple, simple.

Rob, what did you do to get it running????

Rob, what did you do to get it running????

Pretty simple thanks to Fishbox. I am running it on a fresh install of XP Pro (sp3) but I lacked the .net 3.5 (sp1) and the Direct 9xC plugin.... once I downloaded and installed those it started right away.

Data base import was very simple too...

Don't get me wrong I can see potential in what he is attempting to do... but right now there are too many flaws to even attempt a live show with this....

No, you don't need a complicated interface with multiple screen depths and so forth.

Look at PCDJ KJ Pro Bob Latshaw's project it's very simple... but you'll notice it does incorporate a Song search, Rotation, Playlist, and onscreen lyric display all within the same interface screen. Plus it puts singers in the playlist based on typical rotation rules that most KJ's use.

Wizard, he did what I need people to do to get the software to run. Here's a copy from a post on my message board of what he did to get it to work.

Also, joker's comments are invaluable! I need more people like him providing as much different perspectives as possible. I may not put everything into future revisions, but more feedback is better than less!

Joker, two questions:
1. How do you handle when more than one singer is submitted and one may be on the rotatiton list and another is a new singer? My software allows you to put in more than one singer, and each will be recognized as a new singer AND added to the singer dropdown list individually.

2. What if hosters just plain don't want to follow the convetions of the rotation list you propose and want new singers in the middle of a current rotation?

3. There may be something that the Favorites option may do to organize singer's songs by name if there are many, but that would only be part of what you're suggesting. I'm going to sleep on that and see if there's something elegant I can come up with.

Copied paste below:

For .NET try http://www.microsoft.com/Net/Download.aspx and click the "Download it now" button

for DirectX 9c runtime, go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en and install that.

jokerswild wrote:
If your program requires these and you can package them with your installation I would do so.... lots of programs either include an installer for the .net stuff or it will look to the internet for a download and installs it for you.
Sunriser
Site Admin

Private messageE-mail

Well, on my Vista laptop it wouldn't run.

There are at least a million or two Vista PCs out there so Vista compatibility is a must and anyone who's been paying attention knows that Windows 7 is just Vista with a new name and a few tweaks. Make the program run on Vista and I'll bet that it'll run on Windows 7 just fine.

I've installed lots of programs that I didn't have to do anything or go through multiple steps to get it running. Install, double click and they run, no muss, no fuss.

Wizard,

Rest assured, tomorrow I will be finding out what the deal is with Vista. It WILL be compatible very soon! Oh, god, did you have to say the 7 word? One headache at a time! :sqerr:

Time for me to go nappy nappy. Thanks to all for their input. I'm really enjoying this message board. Seems superior to others I've been on!

Ryan

Without realizing it you stumbled onto the cream of the cream. This place is full of smart, knowledgeable people. You haven't even scratched the surface. You haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg, you haven't even . . .

Wizard, he did what I need people to do to get the software to run. Here's a copy from a post on my message board of what he did to get it to work.

Also, joker's comments are invaluable! I need more people like him providing as much different perspectives as possible. I may not put everything into future revisions, but more feedback is better than less!

Joker, two questions:
1. How do you handle when more than one singer is submitted and one may be on the rotatiton list and another is a new singer? My software allows you to put in more than one singer, and each will be recognized as a new singer AND added to the singer dropdown list individually.

2. What if hosters just plain don't want to follow the convetions of the rotation list you propose and want new singers in the middle of a current rotation?

3. There may be something that the Favorites option may do to organize singer's songs by name if there are many, but that would only be part of what you're suggesting. I'm going to sleep on that and see if there's something elegant I can come up with.

1. I haven't tried entering multiple names at once yet.... so I'll comment on that later.

First let me define two things:

Rotation - A list of singers in the order in which they would sing round after round.

Playlist - A list of singer's songs waiting to sing the order of which needs to follow the above rotation placing the singers in order based on the rotation and current round new singers in this case should be put last after the last singer of the current round.

That said, as singers are placed into the rotation and their songs are enqued and waiting to be played a new singer should be placed after the last person in the rotation list and in the playlist if multiple singers are queued for multiple songs it the it should look like this:

Rotation
1. John
2. Mike
3. Wiz
4. Rob

Two Rounds on one Playlist
1. John
2. Mike
3. Wiz
4. Rob (N)
Round 2
1. John
2. Mike
3. Wiz

As you can see we have 1 list for the rotation listing all 4 singers and Rob was our new singer.

Rob was introduced to the rotation while we were still in round 1 and was placed at the bottom of that round's rotation. John, Mike and Wiz already have their second selection queued into the playlist but Rob was and should still be placed above their songs because that round had not started yet.

Even though I put a round indicator between the rounds it is not necessary and I was only using it to make my example easier to understand, I hope.

2. That is fine and one thing that I wish AutOK (from here out to be referred to as The Program I use) would do.... allow me to move singers around in the Rotation screen.... currently I can only do that in the Playlist but this does not alter the rotation for future rounds....

So I'm not saying that it shouldn't have the option of manipulating the rotation at the hosts whim.... but it should be just that an option.

3. Cool!

Understand these are jut my first impressions and are just my opinions.... by all means talk to other hosts and find out even from folks like Joe how they handle their rotations as this might help with your alogrhythems (sp?).

Ok, guys,

I just upped bersion 0.47 to my message board. This is my first attempt to get Vista compatible. It may or may not work (still only using XP here).

Vista testers: make sure to give me details on the crashes you may get. When did it crash, copy/paste error messages

XP users: Make sure my update hasn't affected XP usage.

Please use both my message board and here to report bugs and comments.

Thanks!

Ryan

Ok, guys,

I just upped bersion 0.47 to my message board. This is my first attempt to get Vista compatible. It may or may not work (still only using XP here).

Vista testers: make sure to give me details on the crashes you may get. When did it crash, copy/paste error messages

XP users: Make sure my update hasn't affected XP usage.

Please use both my message board and here to report bugs and comments.

Thanks!

Ryan

I will check it out tomorrow and let you know about the XP side of things..... hopefully the Vista issue can be worked out.... this program does show promise.

Just an observation WITHOUT having tried it yet. Simply going off what has been written here.

S&D has been around for years and has worked the bugs out. If this is going to be successful, model it after what people DONT like about S&D, or what they wish it could do.

I have not tried any of the more expensive programs because S&D does a good job at a small price.

Now, if a inexpensive program came along that did things that S&D could not(and i'm not really sure what that is)...that might make someone try an unproven program over a program that has been around for years......just an observation.

When consumers compare products, especially software, they are going to take the proven one over the new one unless there is a WOW.

I wish you the best of luck

little S&D side note that has nothing to do with the new program.
I own 5 copies of S&D, they were like $25 and now around $50 i think. When i went to order last 2 copies...i emailed the developer paul and told him i needed 2 more copies. he couldn't find my email in his database and then sent me a nasty email about how i was pirating his software. I emailed him and asked him to calm down and i would gladly supply him with any info he needed to be sure i wasn't stealing his software. Turns out i owned the previous programs so long that he no longer had my info. I understand it's a big problem for developers...but man, you better be 1000% sure you are correct before you start accusing paying customers of stealing.

little S&D side note that has nothing to do with the new program.
I own 5 copies of S&D, they were like $25 and now around $50 i think. When i went to order last 2 copies...i emailed the developer paul and told him i needed 2 more copies. he couldn't find my email in his database and then sent me a nasty email about how i was pirating his software. I emailed him and asked him to calm down and i would gladly supply him with any info he needed to be sure i wasn't stealing his software. Turns out i owned the previous programs so long that he no longer had my info. I understand it's a big problem for developers...but man, you better be 1000% sure you are correct before you start accusing paying customers of stealing.

I've heard other stories like this one... you're not the only guy he's knee jerked on....

Bob Latshaw has a similar problem too....

Ok enough developer bashing.... these guys need to put food on the table just like we do so I can understand the paranoia to a point.

Back to topic...

Fishbox: Let me know when you start to make headway with rotation handling as I am eager to test it for you. Until then I'll wait since I don't have a Vista Machine further testing until the feature sets I suggested are either implemented or not, my further testing will yield you no new good information.

Back