What's new

Biggest flop signings? (Football/Soccer)

FootyFred

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Biggest flop signings in the past couple of years?
My vote goes to pretty much every Liverpool signing with the exceptions of Suarez and Bellamy.

Yeah Liverpool messed up real big. I wonder how they are going to come out of the mess LOL. Suarez and Bellamy did their best but they were no match against the other in-form teams.

COme on!! The biggest ever flop over the last 2 years and probably the worst of this decade has been Fernando Torres. I am not a Torres hater, but infact used to really like him, but the sheer madness of overpaying so much for a player who was on the decline was atrocious. He may soon rediscover his goal scoring form and make me look foolish, but at present it does not seem so.. Come on Torres prove me wrong!!

Fernando Torres, for sure.
He scored less than 10 goals I believe, and he was a beast in the past.
Really really sad that Chelsea lost so much money for this player, they could have bought 2/3 decent players for that price.

Torres, but the Chelsea regime may not be good for him - more games at Liverpool on less of a rotation. A player like Torres needs games, then we have N'Gog - flop at Liverpool why would he be any different at Bolton?

Torres, but the Chelsea regime may not be good for him - more games at Liverpool on less of a rotation. A player like Torres needs games, then we have N'Gog - flop at Liverpool why would he be any different at Bolton?

Torres was getting enough games at Chelsea, but his poor performance can't be accepted.
Torres is that type of player that just should get balls and score them, but we all remember what happened against Manchester United.

LOL yes I agree to an extent - Torres is not a rotation player, no player has a right to score goals, we assume because they get paid highly they should be scoring for fun... how about the opposition defense just crowds him out, stops him playing the game he wants to play? Teams now single out players like Torres, give the defenders some credit in this - crowds turn against players such as Torres and confidence drops.

The fact that he still scores goals in training and brings a lot to the team as a whole seems to be being missed in this thread. He would not even be on the bench warming a seat if Chelsea did not have confidence in Torres to find his form.

My vote goes to pretty much every Liverpool signing with the exceptions of Suarez and Bellamy.

Andy Carroll is finding his feet now is he not? Dirk Kuyt is pretty consistent, Gerrard is still a talisman figure... Liverpool are in transition and will be great next season, don't worry. At least they are back in Europe via the cup.

LOL yes I agree to an extent - Torres is not a rotation player, no player has a right to score goals, we assume because they get paid highly they should be scoring for fun... how about the opposition defense just crowds him out, stops him playing the game he wants to play? Teams now single out players like Torres, give the defenders some credit in this - crowds turn against players such as Torres and confidence drops.

The fact that he still scores goals in training and brings a lot to the team as a whole seems to be being missed in this thread. He would not even be on the bench warming a seat if Chelsea did not have confidence in Torres to find his form.
I think he can get back in form, but this requires motivation from hit, and very hard training.
But we all saw that he got amazing balls and still didn't score sometimes 1 on 1, sometimes even without a goalie.
But you are right that the defense sometimes stops him and everyone flames him.

I think he can get back in form, but this requires motivation from hit, and very hard training.
But we all saw that he got amazing balls and still didn't score sometimes 1 on 1, sometimes even without a goalie.
But you are right that the defense sometimes stops him and everyone flames him.

It is very hard for a player of such a caliber and high standard to meet the hype surrounding them when such a massive transfer happens - some player just do not gel in a team, move on and are great again.

I still do not feel the rotation system suits Torres - he would have been better suited to Fulham or Sunderland than Chelsea in regards to the EPL. But Chelsea had a vision and the money - I just wish the lad a lot of luck, I feel sorry for him and the way he does take a lot of stick - he will come good, if not at Chelsea, lol at Bolton Wanderers next season - get your check book out Mr. Gartside!

It is very hard for a player of such a caliber and high standard to meet the hype surrounding them when such a massive transfer happens - some player just do not gel in a team, move on and are great again.

I still do not feel the rotation system suits Torres - he would have been better suited to Fulham or Sunderland than Chelsea in regards to the EPL. But Chelsea had a vision and the money - I just wish the lad a lot of luck, I feel sorry for him and the way he does take a lot of stick - he will come good, if not at Chelsea, lol at Bolton Wanderers next season - get your check book out Mr. Gartside!

Yes, I agree that the hype really puts him in pressure.
He was bought at a very high price and people just think that this money bag should score goals right away.
But I just don't think Chelsea should have bought him, while teams like Manchester City buy Aguero, and Newcastle buy Demba Ba, Chelsea could have bought someone good like Hulk, Neymar, Hazard, Gotze, there are enough young and talented players out there, I really feel sorry for Abramovich wasting so much money!

Looks like you only look at the strikers eh! WHAT about Luis Enrique??? You find that he's a Liverpool flop? C'mon open your eyes when he's playing ;)

Torres is the most expensive flop ever! Enough said.

I would have to agree, Torres to Chelsea was a pretty flop signing. When Liverpool got him, he did amazingly well. But when he went to Chelsea, he stopped scoring and started missing those tap-ins. Wasn't it Abramovich who brought him over to Chelsea?

I would have to agree, Torres to Chelsea was a pretty flop signing. When Liverpool got him, he did amazingly well. But when he went to Chelsea, he stopped scoring and started missing those tap-ins. Wasn't it Abramovich who brought him over to Chelsea?
Yes, it was.
One other flop from Chelsea should be Raul Merelis, which was also bought from Liverpool.

Suarez- Agreed.
Bellamy - he had some good matches in CHL, I wouldn't say he is a flop.
The one that seems the biggest flop in EPL in the last 5 years is Andy Carroll. He is the most weak striker I have seen in a while. But I don't feel sorry for Liverpool, never :)

Suarez- Agreed.
Bellamy - he had some good matches in CHL, I wouldn't say he is a flop.
The one that seems the biggest flop in EPL in the last 5 years is Andy Carroll. He is the most weak striker I have seen in a while. But I don't feel sorry for Liverpool, never :)
He did quite good in Newcastle, and was a big prospect.
I don't think he is a flop as he can still get up on his legs, unlike Torres which already died for me.

He did quite good in Newcastle, and was a big prospect.
I don't think he is a flop as he can still get up on his legs, unlike Torres which already died for me.

Don't know, I would see Carroll as a defender rather than striker :) when he tries to hold the ball or make a receiving, the ball deflects from him like from a tree :) the only skill he has is headers.

Torres indeed needs to go back to Spain, maybe at Atletico Madrid in order to revive himself.

I think the 2 biggest flops are Fernando Torres from Liverpool to Chelsea for 50 million, and Andrei Shevchenko to Chelsea from AC Milan for 30 million. I can't believe we have plundered 80 million on the two biggest flops in football history. Andy Carroll for 35 million is the third worst, 35 million for a donkey, mind blowing.

Don't know, I would see Carroll as a defender rather than striker :) when he tries to hold the ball or make a receiving, the ball deflects from him like from a tree :) the only skill he has is headers.

Torres indeed needs to go back to Spain, maybe at Atletico Madrid in order to revive himself.
If he goes to Atletico Madrid he probably won't come back, he is a pretty old guy.
And, yes, Carroll has beast headers :)

Why did Liverpool buy Caroll for so much $? He barely even plays and it seems like he is best at just heading.

Back