What's new

BMI & Taylor Swift Sue Idaho Bar

Mobile Music 1

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
This is rather old news. It's about royalties not being paid by the bar. Not copyright infringement.

You are right. Although, I didn't say anything about copyright infringement.

Nope you didn't. I was just saying in case others thought it was.
:)

It was recently put in the news as I saw it this week as well. Perhaps there is more news to the story than back when originally issued. However the interesting point is that they are going after the venue according to proper procedures, no mention of the KJ or their legal or illegal part in this.

It was recently put in the news as I saw it this week as well. Perhaps there is more news to the story than back when originally issued. However the interesting point is that they are going after the venue according to proper procedures, no mention of the KJ or their legal or illegal part in this.

From what I'm reading this has very little if anything to do with karaoke itself and more to do with the music played... be it by a band, jukebox or karaoke singer their suit is about BMI licensing fees not copyrights per se'.

This topic barely fits the Karaoke forum but, we can leave it hear anyway as long as folks get that it really isn't about karaoke in the big scheme of things it's all about unpaid and rightly due to BMI licensing fees.

hmm the article I saw led me to believe it was in regards to Karaoke.

Determining the legitimacy of the source material for the performance was probably step 1 and probably passed with flying colors, which is why there was no need to mention it?

Yes there was mention of karaoke but that was just one thing their agent observed.... he also observed music being played from DJ's and bands.

It wasn't so much that a DJ/KJ was playing music or that bands were there it was the fact that the music they were playing fell under the licensing of BMI and those fees had not been paid.... it's clearly a licensing issue and not a DJ/KJ or Band issue. That's why they aren't mentioned in the suit it's the venue that has defaulted on their obligation to pay BMI their fees for the privilege of having music held under their control be played in the venue irregardless of who, what or how it is played.

Shhhhhhhhh! don't tell anyone right now but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in the Virginia KJ suits Sound Choice was working in conjunction with Ascap/BMI!

Thunder said:
Shhhhhhhhh! don't tell anyone right now but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in the Virginia KJ suits Sound Choice was working in conjunction with Ascap/BMI!

That may very well be true... but thus far there is no indication, in this particular case, that the there was any piracy going on just lack of licensing fees being paid.

Wow, Steve !!!

There are TONS of clubs/restaurants here who have never heard of Acsap or BMI. Much less pay annual dues.

Another Hearty- Hell Yeah!!! From me.

Are clubs that actually pay their dues uhmm.... "Encouraged" to have the ascap or bmi stickers on their doors? Haven't seen one in ages! Over 10 yrs that I can remember.

How'd you hear this? Oh....... SHHHH!!!

Lee

Thunder said:
Rob,

And according to the copyright laws that is "Piracy"

ummmmmm I think that may be splitting hairs.... certainly a copyright infringement since fees haven't been paid... but piracy would be a stretch IMHO.

Piracy in terms of music would be the inappropriate acquasition of the music through P2P file sharing or "borrowing" music you don't own. It is also distribution of music you don't own either via p2p or direct sale on burned media or hdd....

This lawsuit isn't about piracy it's about licensing no where in the suit does it mention unlawfully acquired music.

I keep seeing this and thinking... Taylor Swift? BMI? Must be a negative number.

Mike

Esoteric said:
I keep seeing this and thinking... Taylor Swift? BMI? Must be a negative number.

Mike

LMAO.... I don't think BMI refers to Body Mass Index... hahaha but you could be right she's about a stick turn her sideways and she could hide behind my bed post...... :sqlaugh:

They have to put a 75lb formal gown on her just to make her not look like a 12 year old boy with long hair and alien eyes.

Mike

she's gotta move the mic stand so we can see her, but boy is she cute!

They have to put a 75lb formal gown on her just to make her not look like a 12 year old boy with long hair and alien eyes.

Mike

She's still hawt and that 75lb formal gown would look fantastic crumpled on the floor next to my bed.... :sqwink:

Back