What's new

Booing an elected offical at a Commencement Address

Should students boo/heckle/embarass commencement speakers?

• No, it shows lack of class, respect, and decency

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, if they choose to

• Not Sure

• Total voters
melba toast said:
Ya,my dad scared the crap out of me,but I learned a lot.(Don't tell him that,though)

My father was far more harsher on me when I was young, now he lays off for the most part now.

Ha Ha.Ya,that's a tough one to resist some days.A good smack to the side of the head should shake some marbles in the right direction. Since we can't literally do that , just close your eyes and picture it over and over again......

There's a time and a place for everything. I was not particularly fond of the elected official who spoke at my commencement (Tom Ridge, yuck!), but I'm glad no one booed or heckled him at commencement. Commencement is a once in a lifetime experience for the graduates and it shouldn't be ruined by protesting or anything of the sort.

Personally I would not boo or heckle any public speaker. I have a semi-phobia of public speaking (used to be much worse, currently recovering) and I would not give anyone a hard time as I know from experience that I would not like to be in their position. Though, if I truly did despise the person or the things the person believed, I might ask difficult or uncomfortable questions if the opportunity arose (this would of course depend on the venue).

Yea that is even better, watch him sweat while he tries and answers you. Then at the same time you don't let yourself look like a ****.

Thats really rude and if you don't like who is speaking then why did you come for? Just to boo them and embarrass them? People waste their time on such dumb things to do to other people.

Lil'Jeffery34 said:
Thats really rude and if you don't like who is speaking then why did you come for? Just to boo them and embarrass them? People waste their time on such dumb things to do to other people.

Some people got no choice, but it still doesn't excuse their bad behavor.

I state again... I would definately boo someone giving a speech. I'd probably wait until they were done and then do it though

2 reasons

1. I didn't ask to be there
2. The whole freedom of speech thing in the constitution... you remember what that thing is right?

Yes you are right, it is your right to boo. We are just questioning if it is right.

Personaly, I don't usually boo at public gatherings even though I am forced to go. At the same time, I would definitely boo someone. I have no problem being the biggest prick in the world. You guys talk about how kids have no respect for anyone. I just gotta say that most people don't deserve respect and those people can go **** themselves. If Bush for example spoke anywhere near my area, I would definitely go and boo the hell out of him and make rude comments. Of course it would be the same with any politician. I hate politicians. Decietful, dishonest, hypocrtical pricks piss me off to no end. I hate them.

Even if I wanted to boo I don't think I could bring myself to do it. I don't like making spectacles I would feel like a ****. Allot of people boo Bush though, I doubt he cares though. I say at least hes got the balls to do what he wants. Way to stick it to the world, I like it.:thumbsup:

Nightshade200 said:
Personaly, I don't usually boo at public gatherings even though I am forced to go. At the same time, I would definitely boo someone. I have no problem being the biggest prick in the world. You guys talk about how kids have no respect for anyone. I just gotta say that most people don't deserve respect and those people can go **** themselves. If Bush for example spoke anywhere near my area, I would definitely go and boo the hell out of him and make rude comments. Of course it would be the same with any politician. I hate politicians. Decietful, dishonest, hypocrtical pricks piss me off to no end. I hate them.

I strongly dislike one of my Senators, Hillary "Rotten" Clinton, but I would never boo or make rude comments because I have respect for the office of Senator. I would NEVER boo a President, no matter how much I disliked him for the same reason. In my opinion, people who do behave so rudely have entirely too much of an ego to think that they are that much better than anyone that they have a right to boo or heckle them.

Yea you got to say "How would I feel if I was up on a stage and someone did that to me ?".

GoingNova said:

I strongly dislike one of my Senators, Hillary "Rotten" Clinton, but I would never boo or make rude comments because I have respect for the office of Senator. I would NEVER boo a President, no matter how much I disliked him for the same reason. In my opinion, people who do behave so rudely have entirely too much of an ego to think that they are that much better than anyone that they have a right to boo or heckle them.
Well how else can you get the message across. You can't write letters to most of them. They ignore mail that isn't from their area. I could **** about my governor, but that is like beating a dead horse. Everyone around here hates governor Taft. He can go **** himself.

Why would they care? Wow someone complained about them they don't care. Look at Europe they ****ed and complained until they were blue in the face about Bush and his war does that stop him from going to war? You just ignore them and they are powerless, when you listen they have you in their pocket.

GoingNova said:

I would not give representatives regardless of rank special consideration. Personally I wouldn't boo anyone for the reason I mentioned previously, so it really makes no difference on this matter, but I would not treat even the president (regardless of whom that might be) differently from how I treat anyone else.

Back