What's new

Brillant and wise bakers... HELP!

Wait. Why are you adding stuff to the pamelas flour? When I bake ****ins using Pamela's I follow the recipe on the back of the bag and they come out fine.

When I use other flours, I find that you do need to add the Zanthum gum.

cookiemom's recipe is inf'incredible!!!

during the summer months you really need to weigh your flour. using cup measurements just isn't the same thing.

I know absolutely nothing about GF baking but I did see this recipe that got good reviews on the King Arthur Flour website.

You could always put cream cheese frosting in the ones that caved!! :drool:

Wait. Why are you adding stuff to the pamelas flour? When I bake ****ins using Pamela's I follow the recipe on the back of the bag and they come out fine.

When I use other flours, I find that you do need to add the Zanthum gum.

I've always used Pamela's as a all-pupose GF flour. TBH, I buy it in 25 lbs. bulk bags. The only recipe I remember from the bag is the pancake mix. (I think?) That one is 2 cups Pamela's, 1 cup milk o choice, and 1 egg. Plus, any flavorings and added goodies.

Ava has been GF since right after her 3rd b-day. She is almost 8 now. In years past I just made any recipe, from fried chicken to chocolate chip cookies, and subbed out the gluten flour with Pamelas. This is the first time it hasn't worked properly.

When she was first diagnosed, I tried a bazillion different flours, even making my own combos. Pamela's was the one I found that I could just sub out for anything else and acted the most like gold medal all-pupose flour. Until yesterday... Lesson learned.

The only reason I put baking powder in it at all was because the recipe I use is from when I was about Ava's age now. It's a kid recipe from a kid's cookbook, and requires self-rising flour. Since I obviously don't have that, I thought I had to add baking powder. I've added baking powder to Pamela's before and not had this issue. Here is a good example:

004.jpg

You could always put cream cheese frosting in the ones that caved!! :drool:
Hahaha! That's basically what we did. I made whipped cream (Ava's dairy allows for whipped cream. :) ) Then I topped those with blueberries. It looked like I had done it on purpose! The fallen volcano ones were similar to a cookie in taste, so they were all edible, I just wanted to master the **** things using my recipe I had.

Thank you to all of you! Everything you said was sooo helpful.

Is it really humid where you live? I find that on hot humid days no matter what you do my baked goods do not fair well.

Yes, in a way. We live in the Dallas region. (DFW) Our home is cool and dry inside. Another issue I think I've been having is that we moved a few months back. We went from a gas range/oven to a gas cooktop with an electric wall oven. It has been well over a decade since I have cooked in an electric oven, if not longer.

I think electric oven cooking is far different then gas oven cooking. I've read where people have issues when they switch.

Is it really humid where you live? I find that on hot humid days no matter what you do my baked goods do not fair well.

that's one of the reasons you need to weigh flour...not use cup measurements.

Back