What's new

Brisket?

prd2frm

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Okay, so when I get my beef every year I usually just have them grind the brisket. This year I decided to get it. Now what do I do with it?

I have never cooked one before. Does anyone have any suggestions or recipes for brisket?

Thanks!

Brisket needs to be smoked or cooked very low to be really nice.

If you have a smoker do it on 250-ish for about 8-12 hours. If you're gonna do the oven, it's cooked the same way but won't taste as good without the smoking process, and it will dry out more.

I would have to agree. Season with a rub and smoke it, serve with bbq!

I used to marinade it in whiskey, brown sugar some soy sauce and ginger for about 3 days then stick it in the oven-low and slow. It was delish with some mashed potatoes and green beans on the side. I haven't made it in a long while because DD had braces and the meat would stick.

Can you do it on the grill?? I was thinking wrapping it in foil and just letting it sit on the grill all day. That might not turn out so well now that I think about it.

Marinading it sounds good. Not sure about the whiskey, Im prego and I might be tempted to take a swig!

We have a direct gas grill and my DH thought, I'll just put it on there and cook it. Well it turned out like shoe leather. He went overboard with the heat and it was horrible. As for the whiskey, it gets burned off pretty much while it sits in the oven. Yeah, you might wait til the baby is here to try it. I liked it a lot with the whiskey.

I was watching a show a long long time ago on Channel 11 with a bbq chef with a white beard, I don't remember his name but he marinaded the brisket with Coke Cola for 3 days. I never tried it but he always made his that way.

I always make it in the winter. Cook it at 350 for several hours. My mom would wrap it in foil with italian salad dressing, some mushrooms and a packet of lipton onion soup. Very salty, but tasted great!!

Slow cooker. I just made a corned beef brisket about a month ago. Just fill it with enough water to reach the top ot the meat. High for 4 hours or low for 6 - 8. Wow - you could cut it with a fork it was so tender.

Low and Slow is best.

We use our smoker when we cook them! Takes forever but it's totally worth it!

We have done it several ways before. Most of the time it's on the grill at a low heat for several hours, I have grilled it for a few hours and then put it in a slow cooker for the rest of the day (we did this because it was winter out and the grill was to cold). It just needs to cook SLOWLY no matter what you do.

I have ha
Code:
d great success with Art Smith's Beef Brisket with Vegetables

One 6-pound beef brisket
Salt, pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
4 large carrots, coarsely chopped
3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 cup dry red wine
3 1/2 cups beef broth, heated
2 tablespoons flour dissolved in 1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Cut the brisket into 2 pieces; the will be a thin and a thick portion. Season the brisket with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large casserole or roasting pan just large enough to hold the brisket. Cook brisket in the oil, turning occasionally, until browned. Transfer the brisket to a plate.

Add more oil if needed to casserole and heat over high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the red wine and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Return the brisket to the casserole, placing on top of vegetables. Pour in hot broth and bring to boil. Cover tightly and bake until the brisket is fork tender, about 3 hours.

Transfer the brisket to a deep platter and let stand for ten minutes. Skim any fat off the top of the cooking liquid. Bring to a boil over high heat, stir in the dissolved flour and cook until sauce thickens. Carve the meat across the grain into thin slices. Spoon the vegetables and cooking juices over the meat and serve.

The Barefoot Contessa also has a great brisket recipe that uses tomato juice instead of wine, but the alcohol in the wine does cook off...

This is what they use for bbq in Texas, according to a Texan friend of mine. Google "Texas Brisket" and I think you'll find a lot of good recipes.

Back