What's new

Camping Dinner Ideas

Valerie

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
We are heading to So. IL over Columbus Day to go camping. Looking for some suggestions of what to make for 6 Adults and 7 kids for easy dinners.

Trying to think of things besides our typical meals of hot dogs, burgers, chili, spaghetti.

Any other campers have any EASY, QUICK meals for dinner?

We are heading to So. IL over Columbus Day to go camping. Looking for some suggestions of what to make for 6 Adults and 7 kids for easy dinners.

Trying to think of things besides our typical meals of hot dogs, burgers, chili, spaghetti.

Any other campers have any EASY, QUICK meals for dinner?

Have you ever done foil meals? We put hamburger meat, onions, carrots, potatoes and some seasoning salt in heavy duty foil and wrap it up into a packet. Put the packets in the coals to cook.

Do you have a dutch oven? You can make almost anything in one of those, it's like an oven. Using charcol really helps control the temperature. I've made everthing from cherry cobbler to mini-pizza's, stew, meatloaf, etc. My mom used to fry chicken in it too.

I know you asked about dinner but homemade donuts are really good. Take Pillsbury biscuit dough (cheap this week too!) fill with chocolate chips, fold in half and seal the edges. Fry in oil until light brown. YUM!!

Have you ever done foil meals? We put hamburger meat, onions, carrots, potatoes and some seasoning salt in heavy duty foil and wrap it up into a packet. Put the packets in the coals to cook.

Do you have a dutch oven? You can make almost anything in one of those, it's like an oven. Using charcol really helps control the temperature. I've made everthing from cherry cobbler to mini-pizza's, stew, meatloaf, etc. My mom used to fry chicken in it too.

I know you asked about dinner but homemade donuts are really good. Take Pillsbury biscuit dough (cheap this week too!) fill with chocolate chips, fold in half and seal the edges. Fry in oil until light brown. YUM!!

Foil meals were my thought too. Very versatile, easy to prepare ahead of time, little to no clean-up, and yummy! We put chicken, veggies, a little honey, and some lemonade in a foil packet for a honey-lemon chicken. Really you can chuck just about any food combo into a foil packet and have it turn out pretty tasty.

Have a great time!

We are NOT the traditional campers. I take my crock pot and make Ribs or this last time I made sausage with peppers and onions and let them cook all day! Are you camping with electric? also you can make ahead ham and cheese on kaiser's and I make a Mustard & Mayo sauce (warm it up) very good! It's my MIL's recipe. We have also done pork shoulder in the CP for BBQ pulled pork sandwiches. Have Fun!

I like to take along the crock pot....we have a camper so it makes it easier..however if you are tent camping and have an electric hook-up it's doable!

We also like to make sausage either chicken or kielbasa and serve on a bun with grilled onions - quick, easy clean up and yummy!

May I get the recipe for the Mustard and Mayo sauce?

Thanks for the ideas. We went from tent camping to purchasing a camper over the winter so my choices have greatly increased but I'm still getting used to the luxuries of having a real kitchen while we are camping. Think I might try something in the crock pot since we tend to be out hiking/rock climbing and away from the campsite for most of the day.

Thanks Again!

Val

We also have a camper and I do a ton of stuff in the crock pot, sometimes I will do chicken pieces in the crock pot and toss them on the grill before serving for a little bit of 'grill' taste, but less work and more tender. Check out http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ for crock pot ideas. I also tend to do at least 1 Encore type meal (they are easy!). Premade taco meat reheats easily and can be used on salad, shells, or even baked potatoes

I also like to pick up the Pillsbury pull apart cookies, they are a quick, special treat. Frozen soft pretzels are another favorite.

We used to do the typical camp food. I found setting up the camp stove and putting hot water on for corn or eggs...very time consuming. I would also, since you just bought a camper....(unless you have one)....start looking for an electric griddle...I got mine at Kohl's for around $20....its wonderful for breakfast and lunch...you can do grilled cheese....I love mine!. It's big enough to cook pancakes, and sausage all at once. The only thing for us is we blow fuses in the camper if I have anything else on with it...like the coffee pot or toaster. Nothing you can't work around. I also keep a check list saved on computer and after camping trips I add things that I thought of getting and watch for it during the winter or ask Santa to bring me. What camp ground are you going to? If I can ask?

May I get the recipe for the Mustard and Mayo sauce?

Its just Mayo and Mustard to Taste.....warmed up! we wrap the sandwich in tin foil and heat until the cheese is melted then put the sauce on....very goohy and yummy!

We used to do the typical camp food. I found setting up the camp stove and putting hot water on for corn or eggs...very time consuming. I would also, since you just bought a camper....(unless you have one)....start looking for an electric griddle...I got mine at Kohl's for around $20....its wonderful for breakfast and lunch...you can do grilled cheese....I love mine!. It's big enough to cook pancakes, and sausage all at once. The only thing for us is we blow fuses in the camper if I have anything else on with it...like the coffee pot or toaster. Nothing you can't work around. I also keep a check list saved on computer and after camping trips I add things that I thought of getting and watch for it during the winter or ask Santa to bring me. What camp ground are you going to? If I can ask?

I do have a very large griddle that I keep in the camper and have used it quite a few times this season already.

We will be heading down to Shawnee National Forest and hoping to camp at Oak Point Campground near Vienna.

I do have a very large griddle that I keep in the camper and have used it quite a few times this season already.

We will be heading down to Shawnee National Forest and hoping to camp at Oak Point Campground near Vienna.

It sounds Great! you will have to post some pic's when you get back. Have Fun!

PM me if you want some one-pot cooking ideas. Not trying to sound arrogant, but I've done everything from beignets to blueberry pie, 7 cheese pasta to quesadillas, homemade bread, etc - with little more than a dutch oven, a campfire, and some aluminum foil.

I used to make lots of stuff at home, then freeze ready to toss into the pot/pan at the campsite. I spent every vacation with the ex tent camping, no amenities at all, except for water and a flush toilet - way down over there.

I always made a pot of stew - well, almost made. I did all the prep for it, got it into the pot ready for the long-simmer and stopped it there. I froze it in the pot I would be using while camping (so it had the right shape), then put it into a baggie. This way, when I was ready to use it, just dropped it into the pot, added more water, and let it cook all day (or however long). Can do this with chili too.

I also used to make lots of foil packet meals and freeze them, ready to drop into the fire.

Made meatballs for pasta sauce that I made at home and froze.

If you have electricity and don't have one yet, may I strongly urge you to get a foreman grill. Hamburgs, steak, hotdog, quesadillas, you name it! Everything comes out fantastic. And clean-up is a breeze.

PM me if you want some one-pot cooking ideas. Not trying to sound arrogant, but I've done everything from beignets to blueberry pie, 7 cheese pasta to quesadillas, homemade bread, etc - with little more than a dutch oven, a campfire, and some aluminum foil.

That's my kind of cooking when camping!! I LOVE my Dutch Ovens. Do you use charcol with yours too or just the fire? I have a great cookbook that tells you how to stack the ovens with coals in between, I might have to try that next year.

That's my kind of cooking when camping!! I LOVE my Dutch Ovens. Do you use charcol with yours too or just the fire? I have a great cookbook that tells you how to stack the ovens with coals in between, I might have to try that next year.

coals - it's easier to regulate temp IMO. 20 to start, and then various recipes use different ratios of coals on top/coals on bottom to distribute heat.

Back